Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #43
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
I use it on my Silverado and my wife's Jeep.

I spray it on, wipe it off like a quick detailer.

Then I use TEC582 Ceramic Detailer to finish both vehicles off.

The paint on both vehicles looks wet and when it rains, the water practically jumps off the paint.

Bonus... TEC582 smells like bubblegum instead of chemicals.
I think it(582) has a fruity smell, like Pineapple. I just used it today. I used 580 to coat my wife's CX-5 Sunday(and black fusion to coat it's trim), and it rained this morning, so I washed it today and used 582. It's SO much easier to....everything...than applying the HCW with a towel.I think HCW gives a better look though, and it probably lasts longer(hope someone will be a side by side endurance), just going by the thickness.

It really shows they intended this to be used mostly as a rinse off, it really doesn't want to be wiped around. And it was hot and windy today and it dried pretty fast, and found the best way to remove streaks is by soaking a towel, wringing it out, and wiping the car down again. I wonder if that's where the initial bad responses came from.

For spraying HCW on mostly dry paint(went over with a leaf blower, but left some water to aid spreading), I think one part HCW to 5 parts water is about where you need to go(lower if in the sun, or hot and windy so the water is evaporting faster than you can dry), so I need to try 1:8 on a dry car. I figure it's about the same as spraying it on a soaked car, since that is what dilutes it to make it spread easy in the first place. Hoping someone does a durability after doing a wipe down on one side and a rinse off with the other side.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #44
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Quick comparison HCW vs bead maker (P&S Renny Doyle black bead maker)

HCW has better gloss and beading.

Bead maker is over hyped. I'm not impressed by the gloss or the slickness feel. HCW is better. I'm glad I got this bottle cheap. I wont be buying bead maker ever again.

HCW lasted about 5 weeks on an uncovered car and it's lasted over 2 months, so far, on my garaged car. Bead maker's durability, will update when it fails. It's only been on for about a week.

Makes me wonder about folks like Pan, Obsessed Matt etc. Either they received souped up versions of bead maker or they are shills
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #45
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post

Bead maker is over hyped. I'm not impressed by the gloss or the slickness feel. HCW is better. I'm glad I got this bottle cheap. I wont be buying bead maker ever again.

HCW lasted about 5 weeks on an uncovered car and it's lasted over 2 months, so far, on my garaged car. Bead maker's durability, will update when it fails. It's only been on for about a week.

Makes me wonder about folks like Pan, Obsessed Matt etc. Either they received souped up versions of bead maker or they are shills
I’m really glad you posted this… If you watch very closely things like Facebook and even some things at autogeek, you seem to find a few products (f11, Chadwick’s) that come out of nowhere and that people jump on and say is the next big thing… It’s hard for me to believe that, when most detailing companies are just repackaging other substances bought from a central vendor. Not saying that’s the case with beadmaker, but it’s certainly the case with many other products. About five or six of the major polymer sprays come out of one central lab in Tampa Florida, most detailing companies don’t have a chem lab…

For example, many of the orig Blackfire products, were actually formulated off of the optimum products, with optimum’s licensing help. Rejex and Nu-finish, are the exact same product, just repackaged.

FWIW, I’m likin the HCW product too, once I diluted it down…

Last edited by Glen e; 05-24-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #46
indyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I’m really glad you posted this… If you watch very closely things like Facebook and even some things at autogeek, you seem to find a few products (f11, Chadwick’s) that come out of nowhere and that people jump on and say is the next big thing… It’s hard for me to believe that, when most detailing companies are just repackaging other substances bought from a central vendor. Not saying that’s the case with beadmaker, but it’s certainly the case with many other products. About five or six of the major polymer sprays come out of one central lab in Tampa Florida, most detailing companies don’t have a chem lab…

For example, many of the orig Blackfire products, were actually formulated off of the optimum products, with optimum’s licensing help. Rejex and Nu-finish, are the exact same product, just repackaged.

FWIW, I’m likin the HCW product too, once I diluted it down…

Yes, dilution is the other pitfall, for bead maker. I dont think you can dilute it. You use a ton of bead maker to cover a camaro sized vehicle. Whereas, with HCW, I can dilute to 1:10, at least, may be more (haven't tested higher dilution ratios yet, planning on 1:15 next). Dilution makes application of HCW a cake walk, I use it on a washed and dry car.

HCW is about 20 times cheaper than bead maker for a single application on my camaro. No contest.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #47
SnakeEyeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post

No kidding
Have you seen the "Jimbo" video on The Last Coat? He destroyed WAY faster than a $6 bottle of turtle wax. The Pan video....
Old 05-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #48
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
No kidding
Have you seen the "Jimbo" video on The Last Coat? He destroyed WAY faster than a $6 bottle of turtle wax. The Pan video....
Pan sure seems to love The Last Coat alright. That and a few other vids made me think about starting a new thread on TLC and picking up a bottle for my next AB test to see how it performs.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:01 PM   #49
SnakeEyeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Pan sure seems to love The Last Coat alright. That and a few other vids made me think about starting a new thread on TLC and picking up a bottle for my next AB test to see how it performs.
Seems like a waste of money IMO, the vids that like it sell it so hard and the people that don't trash it's durability so much it really seems some cash changing hands is the best explainations. That Auto Detailing Podcast video on it isn't perfect but he uses the same method on different products, and there is a long list of very cheap buy anywhere products that embarrass it. Apex did a video on Turtle Wax Seal and Shine($6-$14)nd it survived the heat gun test, very similar performance to Adam's 9H Spray.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #50
indyz

Yeah the last coat was destroyed.
Rustoleum didn't fare that well either, I think it was in an apex detail video.

But these products are promoted heavily by some youtubers.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #51
indyz

I'm going to watch these product videos strictly for entertainment, from here on out.

One of my friends gets all excited about new products, every other week. I'll get him to buy turtle wax (after Jimbo's impressive videos) and chemical guys hydro charge (supposed sheeting) . I'll trade him my hcw and bead maker lol. I'm done spending new money trying new products.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:48 AM   #52
indyz

Bead maker got creamed in this review:
https://youtu.be/DtAmyq3v5_k

Tldr;
The section with bead maker is disappointing. Beading not as good as others and sheeting is slow too.

Don't use it as a topper, it kills the water behavior of the underlying.

It's basically a slick feeling quick detailer and has poor durability.

Lol. I personally didn't think it was that bad . I may have a new favorite detailing channel.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #53
SnakeEyeSS

Another new video is out, by Meguiar's and Autogeek. It does have some new info. Which is confusing me because they have had several reps say different things. Good news is he says what is the "best results" method, and it just happens to be one I already posted. I actually had an update yesterday that they car looked washed after sitting in a heavy rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Ok, here is a little sample. Got my father to stop by so I could test it on his 2002 E46. As far as I know has never had a paint correction, and the wax on it was dead(early fall). So I used a no gloss enhancer soap wash, nanoskin, wash again, and base foundation layer of HCW, then a rinse off layer of HCW.
A foundation layer and then an immediate spray on rinse off application
Old 06-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #54
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
Watched a vid today on this product, easy to use, looks like it worked well, anyone try it yet, results!
I wonder how it differs from this: https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...plicator-towel

Old 06-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #55
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The pic you showed is a synthetic polymer base, the ceramic wax is an SIO2 base. 2 diff product classes...SI02 will last longer. They will both gloss about the same, in my Opin...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #56
indyz

The Meguiars online folks don't like the diluting the product posts lol.

One of them even advised to "spraying just a bit less onto the panel, wet wiping it around to distribute" but that's not the same as diluting the product, apparently
I guess I am diluting it too much, probably costing them lost sales

Me? I am almost at 3 weeks with a 1:10 application (uncovered 24/7) and beading is strong. The full strength only lasted a bit less than 5 weeks. Maybe, the "base layer" still exists and is being enhanced by the 1:10 application, although it certainly looked flat and was washed off (I assume) with a strong pH soap.

I'm itching to wash it and use 1:15 next