Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
Thumbs up salvage to twin turbo with built motor and PFI

Hey camaro6 peeps,

I'm Joe

I figured i'd start a build thread for my 2SS. I got the car from IAAI about 10 months ago. It was a total loss vehicle from Chicago and I had to have it; if the price was right. I've had a few fun cars throughout the past and I still own a couple. Pretty much all of them were from an auto auction of some sort. The primary damage resided in the front left suspension/fender & four airbags decided to cash out.. After thorough inspection the car, I found the car was previously crashed in the right rear quarter. The auto body shop did a terrific job fixing her. I could only tell there was work done because of the over-spray in the gas cap closeout.

Now that we got that out of the way, the first fun mod I did to the car was install a flex fuel sensor... This was cool for a couple months, I definately noticed some new found power in the car. I decided to skip the typical fun and games like most cars, like intake, headers, spray, etc. Why not just go boosted haha.. I have a turbo mustang that makes good power and this car needs all of that treatment too.

Unfortunately about 1 month ago I was out to breakfast and someone hit my car. They damaged the drivers door & pushed the quarter panel in about 4mm. Currently I have the door replaced, but the quarter is going to be bumped in april. Stuff happens... Wish they would have stuck around so I could've pimp-slap em'.

I picked up some used rear DR's from a member on the forum. Unfortunately I've yet to warm them up though. The psi should help that be a fun to-do..

as of today some of the hellion turbo stuff has shown up. I have the intercooler & turbochargers thus far. I also splurged & ordered LT4 LPFP & HPFP including the 8 squirt-guns.

This is all for today, look forward to sharing the hellion installation photos & progress with you all.

motor e-z.

Last edited by hitmix300; 01-04-2019 at 03:53 PM.
hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Great idea! Seeing more and more of this lately, and i def dig it! looking forward to reading about it!

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Well, have spent about eight hours on the car so far and I must say... the hellion turbo system is a very detailed and extensive installation.

A few things for anyone who is installing this kit;

very helpful tools:
1. harbor freight trim tool removal set
2. remote action radiator hose clamp tool
3. electric 3/8 ratchet for bumper cover to fender 7mm screws.

I've managed to remove/install the front bumper cover, intercooler, high pressure fuel pump and tackle numerous small tasks on the hellion instructions.

Ran into some serious friction on trying to remove four fuel injectors with the rail. soaking them with some PB Blaster now and hoping this evening they pop on out.

Tonight I hope to tackle removing the manifolds/cats & installing all the heat tape/tubes.

After a quick glance it seems like i'm missing the air cleaners from hellion along with some other items such as the spark plugs and what not. i'll go over the parts list they had in the box and see what is checked off and what not. Oh and the turbo's still haven't shown up..

Old 03-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I like your "catch can" sitting up there on the windshield cowl!

Good luck with the build. You have more guts and skill than I have to take on a project like this.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

made some serious progress last night. removed the factory cats (going with a ca performance cat delete) and the Tri-Y manifolds.

One of the driver's side cat-to-manifold bolts it behind the upstream o2 sensor and it's a PITA to remove.. My hands hurt from that fuss..Thanks GM!

Also have the pcm relocated and fuse box almost installed. Next up is to protect everything with the heat shields/tubes. The stock parts pile is huge, they weren't exaggerating in that engine power tv show when they installed the hellion twin turbo kit.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Nice project. So what did you end up paying at the auction for this? After fees. If you don't mind sharing that is
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #7
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Hope every1 had a nice Easter Sunday. I have been super busy with other projects/cars; so i didn't get as much done on the car as I would have liked.

I probably have almost twenty hours into the installation and i'm almost complete. Ran into an issue with CA Performance cat delete not sliding into my factory exhaust on the driver's side.. always something lol

Made some serious progress over the long holiday weekend. Unfortunately hellion forgot the 50' of heat tape so that really screwed me up.

I also had some serious issues with their oil pan drilling & tapping locations. Their instructions didn't mention how difficult it would be to thread in the -12AN fittings while the pan is on the car haha. They clearly had their pan off the car when they took the photos.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #8
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK001 View Post
Nice project. So what did you end up paying at the auction for this? After fees. If you don't mind sharing that is
Around 19000

Go watch the auction(s), they sell cheap when the airbags deploy.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #9
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Got all the fluids filled last night, no leaks!

Finished up on downpipes/exhaust now i just need to tighten the bolts/clamps. Also got the powder-coated compressor covers back.. It's going to really shock a lot of people when I pop the hood.

I obtained the fuel rail puller tool today to change the injectors, then I can finish the vacuum lines/pcv and hopefully start the car for the first time. Guessing about four hours worth of work left since I've never removed/installed DI injectors b4

ill try to get a video for ya'll. Then time for some tuning!!

Old 04-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #10
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

last evening i completed the lt4 injector installation & re-installed the intake manifold. I had a hard time getting the fuel rails up, but managed to make my own puller tool to evenly pull the injectors/rails out..

This hellion install really wouldn't take that long; but the supporting modifications i'm doing seem to be occupying a lot of my time. The CAPerformance cat delete on the driver's side was a PITA to get slid into the stock mid-pipe.

I completed all the vacuum & electrical steps on the hellion instructions and tonight i'm planning on firing it up! I created a quick startup tune for the lt4 fuel system, but I plan on having Ted Janetty do the boost calibration(s) for me.

There is just never enough time in the day.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #11
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
Wow great work! Those turbos look like a pair of Hulk fists ready to do some smashing Subbed to see it in running form
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #12
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
Those green turbski's are sick!
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Thanks fellas

Unfortunately I broke the PCV check valve fitting on the engine Valley cover at the dealership will have one tomorrow for me for $10. I did a poor job of lining up the exhaust so that v bands are leaking. I’m hopefully going to have those issues addressed tomorrow by repositioning all the exhaust and double checking the flanges are flat before tightening the clamps. I did manage to run the engine up the temperature today and I have zero leaks besides exhaust flanges

First start video

Oh I forgot to mention I’m also having an issue with the Turbosmart blow off valves. I have noticed that they stay open no matter what setting for soft or hard during idle. Hopefully I don’t need to order any special springs or have any more holdups ha ha. I’m like a kid on Christmas!

Last edited by hitmix300; 04-13-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #14
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Had a super busy weekend with 3 other vehicles but of course I burned the midnight oil to finish up my car. Tightened up the manifold bolts on both sides & used the Cincinnati permatex on all exhaust flanges and the car is quiet now.

Re-installed the front nose back on the car & did my first datalog for janetty. I also had a special helper come honk the horn for me while I was right in front of them

Hoping to see boost for the first time tonight or tomorrow. I suppose with this cold weather i'd better bolt on the drag radials