Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #15
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Thanks I’ll read these tonight!

Edit Update

#17457 seems to more about electrical readings, gauges and power steering
#17468 seems to be about the ABS, also different symptoms than what I'm experiencing
#18258 has the closest symptoms, but if this is what the problem is, I'd think it would happen more often, not just after long hard corners.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 05-21-2019 at 11:38 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #16
GunMetalGrey

UPDATE

Dealership said it's the 2nd defective fuel pump in a row... I find it a little hard to believe I could have this bad of luck, is there anything else that could be causing the fuel pump to prematurely fail twice in 1 year?
Old 05-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #17
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Unusual for sure, but maybe this one will be reliable. At least the dealer found the problem pretty easily. Haven’t read about a lot of fuel pump failures.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:45 PM   #18
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
That's very strange, dont know anything about the pump but all fuel pumps I've worked with hands on (Walbro, Ti) have been very durable under harsh conditions with a lot of modifications.

Pumps can fail from overheating or wrong voltage. Also, running a non-E85 pump with E85 can wear one out eventually. Do you run E85 or completely stock?
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #19
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
That's very strange, dont know anything about the pump but all fuel pumps I've worked with hands on (Walbro, Ti) have been very durable under harsh conditions with a lot of modifications.

Pumps can fail from overheating or wrong voltage. Also, running a non-E85 pump with E85 can wear one out eventually. Do you run E85 or completely stock?
Everything is stock, but I think it's something other than the fuel pump because it's only after long hard corners, and never any other time, so perhaps a pick up issues with the tank it'self?
If the fuel pump was defective i would think this problem would happen all the time under WOT.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #20
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Possible the first pump put trash into the system and the second one either bought the farm from restriction,junk in the tank, or just plain old didnt replace it correctly. if its sucking air, cavatating the pump it will kill it quick.

We had an astro van v6 it ate about 4 in 125k miles. Never did really figure it out and the wife lost confidence in it so we cash for clunkered it.

I generally dont run any vehicle with a in tank pump lower than 1/4 tank since the fuel helps cool the pump.
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #21
GunMetalGrey

Apparently the "fuel pump" is an entire assembly of multiple components that includes pick up, air filter etc... and is about 12" by 8" so it sounds like each of those components in the assembly could fail individually, which would increase the chances of the "fuel pump' failing because it's not just a pump.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:02 AM   #22
GunMetalGrey

UPDATE

Seems like it was the Fuel Pump Assembly for the 2nd time, after it was replaced I immediately did 4 hard long corners (on ramp loop to highway) at 1/4 tank and no problems!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:49 AM   #23
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Good. Hopefully that’s the end of your fuel pump woes.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:07 PM   #24
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
glad to hear you got it worked out. keep records of all this, if it keeps happening you might be in for a lemon law case

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #25
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Good. Hopefully that’s the end of your fuel pump woes.
Nope, it just started doing it again...
I had 5 good track days and now it's acting up again on long hard sweeping corners, there is no way I could have 3 defective fuel pump assemblies in a little over 1 year, this is crazy, I don't know what this could be...
Old 09-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #26
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I had 5 good track days and now it's acting up again on long hard sweeping corners, there is no way I could have 3 defective fuel pump assemblies in a little over 1 year, this is crazy, I don't know what this could be...
Hey GunMetal, have you been able to figure out what’s going on yet? Interested to hear what your dealer and GM come with for a solution on this...
Pupilbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #27
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
You probably already mentioned this, but do you have any mods other than maybe a TB, CAI or exhaust?

According to the story, you get the fuel pump replaced (low side or HP mechanical?) and then it's fine for awhile but then returns after heavy track use, is that right?

If it's an electrical pump failing repeatedly, maybe you have an electrical issue that's wearing out these pumps over time. I have no expertise with this, and dont understand much about the ZL1 fuel system.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:00 AM   #28
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
You probably already mentioned this, but do you have any mods other than maybe a TB, CAI or exhaust?

According to the story, you get the fuel pump replaced (low side or HP mechanical?) and then it's fine for awhile but then returns after heavy track use, is that right?

If it's an electrical pump failing repeatedly, maybe you have an electrical issue that's wearing out these pumps over time. I have no expertise with this, and dont understand much about the ZL1 fuel system.
No mods on the car, yes you have it right, the dealership replaces the entire fuel pick up assembly that goes inside the gas tank, it's fine for a while, then it starts failing and then the dealership replaces the entire fuel pick up assembly again. It started doing this before I was tracking the car.

I think I need to find a dealership that's willing to investigate the problem not just keep replacing the fuel pick up assembly, don't want this going on forever or after the warranty runs out.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 09-23-2019 at 01:18 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cornering, power loss, stumbling, surging, wot