Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #29
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Yep, the obvious is to simply buy a 4 cylinder car. Even with a number of 0-60 pulls today, I'm over 21 mpg down from 23 mpg as is normal. Your mileage suggests you have a mighty heavy foot or you drive in only bumper to bumper traffic. Good luck, though.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #30
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I know this is a dumb suggestion, but if you're willing to give it a shot, reset the fuel economy information, pull the battery for a few minutes to reset the computers, and drive shotgun with somebody else behind the wheel. Individual driving styles are the biggest variable in fuel economy. Small differences in braking and acceleration patterns can actually make a pretty huge difference. If your friend gets better MPG, it may be you causing it.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #31
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Either fix what's wrong with your car, figure out if you're driving like shit, or get a different car.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #32
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Use cruise control on the highway if possible as long as it’s not in heavy traffic, in the city coast when possible I do coming to a red light or stop sign as long as somebody isn’t to close behind you so they don’t hit you . Just use common sense.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #33
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside2SS View Post
I average around 24 mpg and drive in sport mode full time, use manual mode on and off daily, and drive "extra" spirited daily. There is something not right. Are you driving constantly in a city with stop and go?
Not possible unless you're babying it. I drive the same way and lucky to get 18mpg. A 6.2L V8 driving spiritedly getting 24mpg?
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #34
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
WarlockCamaro should post up a picture or information like Mark114 has posted, or the one from onstar if you have that enabled. The only way to really know is with knowing the distance traveled, average speed, gallons used or avg fuel eco from the car, and even duration helps nail it down.

I recall another Cali guy complaining about fuel economy, and was getting an average speed of like 4.5mph. Which we all know is not how a high horse power car likes to be driven. Might as well be pulling it with some actual horses....

I am only a couple miles from my work, but it is over 5 possible stops, two mandatory and only 30 mph along the way. I have had to come to the realization that it is not worth driving it back and forth only to work as it guzzles gas. Now I only take it to work if I know I am gonna go some where after that is a more normal distanced and timed drive and get much better use of my gas.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:50 AM   #35
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlockCamaro View Post
Hello guys, your boy back at it with again with another idiotic question. if you guys have been following me and my posts about my 2016 Camaro SS Auto, you might of seen me talk about my MPG which is 10-11. In short nothing is wrong with the car I went into service and they said there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car, but that it would need a oil change in a couple months. I didn't protest, they are the experts after all. I was recommended to ease off my gas pedal and to take the freeway, but one tech told me to use sea foam, either through my intake or my gas tank. Now other then that I wanted to ask my question, is there a way to just use 4 cylinder in the SS? Now I know it has the Active Fuel Management System, but even when I drive 5 MPH under the speed limit it does not active. It only activates in streets and parking lots when I'm going under 15 MPH. My friends C7 corvette has ECO mode that does this, and he has better gas mileage then me in a corvette. Anyway I know it's a idiotic question I guess want to know if it can be done possibly without a tune.

Thank you guys, I hope to see your responses.
So a quick thing to note, about AFM (Active Fuel Management) that it seems alot of people do not understand, or overlook and it is that AFM has NOTHING to do with how fast you're going. You can do 120 MPH and still run on 4 Cylinders. AFM is determined by how much THROTTLE you're applying and if it needs to activate the remaining cylinders to keep up with your throttle demands...meaning, If you're coasting at 80 - 90 MPH, you can STILL run on 4 Cylinders and score over 30 MPG... you may have to get fancy with the driving style to achieve this...but it is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgdelena View Post
It is my understanding that TOUR mode is where AFM is enabled. I prefer SPORT for most driving and accept a small hit in mileage. Of course like any car it is your right foot that has the most impact on mileage.
AFM is activated in ALL modes. It engages in Sports and Track mode as well. It's just slightly less aggressive in those modes.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #36
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I think Warlock should verify the DIC report of 10-11 mpg using the old fill-up, record odometer, then repeat after a few days and record actual fuel required to refill the tank. Then do the mpg calculation. This is just to verify that the DIC is reporting accurately.
Either way, I think 11 mpg is low. But I would like to know if the DIC is reporting bad data or the car is really using that much fuel.

I am assuming the speedometer and odometer are reporting accurately. If the DIC data is bad, I am wondering if the rear end ratio is incorrectly entered in the TCM or ECM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #37
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Flat road, cruise control on at 55mph.
Look at the instant mpg readout. Should be mid-upper 20's.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #38
TheWiseWolf

Drives: Camaro
Their is a module that you attach under your steering wheel where it activates the AFM all the time. It overrides the computer I believe.

Someone posted it her before, its kinda pricey tho it was about $400-500.
TheWiseWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #39
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWolf View Post
Their is a module that you attach under your steering wheel where it activates the AFM all the time. It overrides the computer I believe.

Someone posted it her before, its kinda pricey tho it was about $400-500.
you're talking about the diablosport sprint/marathon modules.

the sprint deactivates v4 completely while plugged in (I use this one, it works).

the marathon is supposed to activate v4 mode more often. I don't know how often, you'll have to look into it.

both are ~$199/per depending where you get it.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #40
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Yes...Disconnect 4 Spark plug wires...
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #41
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Yes...Disconnect 4 Spark plug wires...
If you could get it to run, this would be terrible. The injectors would still be on and you'd white wash the cylinder walls.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #42
WarlockCamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Thank you for your recommendations!

Hello guys, I made this thread expecting nothing but great answers, and I did! Yesterday 05/08/19 I drove to school and took everything you guys told me and applied it to my situation. I started the car and put on my music and drove off without idling for a excessive amount of time just like you guys said. I drove on the same secluded road I always drove on, but this time I lowered my throttle time and put on cruise control (25-35 MPH). I displayed the gas meter which displays how much you have left until you run out, but this those not only show how many miles you have left, but also shows you if your in V4 mode. I found that going 30-35 MPH with CC on made the car stay on V4 mode for a long period of time. Overall I drove conservatively and found that I got 16MPG which is great. To be honest I feel as if I made this into a big deal, and that I should've expected this as a Camaro SS owner. Apologize again for the trouble and thank you for your recommendations and overall help!
WarlockCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote