Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Looking for Constructive Criticism

Had my second event at VIR this past weekend and despite some really soul-crushing trains of slow cars in HPDE1, I did manage to have one entirely open-track lap. Curious to see where I can improve my times. I have already seen several opportunities to stay on the gas a little longer and hit the brakes a little later, but I wanted to see where you all think I can improve.

The car is entirely stock except for the AWE tuning catback exhaust and the Motul600 brake fluid:

Thanks,

JD
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Is your car manual? I personally wouldn't rev match on each gear, but ultimately match on the gear you want to select for the next straight. Use the brakes to brake and not compression, it keeps the car more balanced.

And basically, you need to be on the throttle as soon as you lift your foot from the brake, do not coast as you lose the balance and the weight of the car is not distributed properly. Brake hard in straight line, and as soon as you're done, start turning, give a little throttle to maintain your speed of gain speed and once the car is getting straight, floor it.

I'm not a professional but that's what I have heard and been told
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
JD_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
Is your car manual? I personally wouldn't rev match on each gear, but ultimately match on the gear you want to select for the next straight. Use the brakes to brake and not compression, it keeps the car more balanced.

And basically, you need to be on the throttle as soon as you lift your foot from the brake, do not coast as you lose the balance and the weight of the car is not distributed properly. Brake hard in straight line, and as soon as you're done, start turning, give a little throttle to maintain your speed of gain speed and once the car is getting straight, floor it.

I'm not a professional but that's what I have heard and been told
Thanks, Camaro_QC. It is a manual and the rev-match is done by the car. Yes, you are right, I spotted more than a few spots where I was coasting instead of being on the gas (or brakes).
Old 05-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
If it is done by the car, would it still work if you go from gear 4 to 2? If yes, simply brake and downshift to the right gear and then accelerate. You will gain few bits here and there.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
JD_

Yeah, I know it will work, but I never shift lower than 3rd for VIR. Plenty of torque to pull it out of even the slowest corners. I only hit 5th gear on the front and back straits there, and 4th for the bridge strait.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #6
Bluebarchetta

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I’ll give you just a couple simple things
1. Let the car run out, and use the track beyond the curbs on the right after turn 3
2. Get more on the curb for 4a with a slightly later apex, and stay left there longer, which leads to
3. Be a little later apex on 4b, then let it run out and be in slightly better position for 5a

And don’t worry about stepping down through the gears. I know many very fast racers who do that, and I know very fast ones that direct shift to a gear. As you progress, and as long as your breaking technique is proper for the corner, you’re method of down shifting is generally irrelevant. It’s the braking technique that makes you faster. I learned to go gear by gear, and to keep the car in the optimum rev range at all times. However that’s because the car I learned in had little torque, lol.
Bluebarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:40 AM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Hi JD and congrats on taking your 1LE out on a track!
Very nice, smooth and precise driving - keep it this way and increase pace slowely.

It is difficult to offer detailed comments as your vid has no throttle or brake trace. In general terms id say shift a bit closer to the corner not to over rev. Id also suggest you watch some fast guys vids posted in Fast Laps sticky. Study their line for each corner, when they brake, shift and what gear they are in. Just dont try to emulate them next time out pace wise.

Most importantly, get an instructor to drive with ya.
That's absolutely key. Also attend events that offer classrooms. The sooner you start to learn proper technique the faster you will go faster

Corner entry is the hardest part to learn by far. While hard braking must be done in a straight line, it is crucial to "trail brake" or progressively release the brakes when rotating the car into a corner. Exception is very fast corners which require different technique to keep the car balanced. But generally speaking, for medium and slow corners, under no circumstances add any throttle before apex. If you have to do it, it means you have over slowed the corner entry. Just roll the car to the apex and next time try entering it faster. If you start adding throttle before apex, you will be slow (usually both on entry and exit) and you will form a very nasty habit, which is difficult to unlearn.

If you're interested, ive put a 10 page doc for a friend and i would be happy to share it with you. Just PM me.
It would provide you with some basic theory.
But, there is no substitute for quality in car and classroom instruction! I cant stress that enough.

Have fun with your car! Cheers!

PS as suggested by the post above, how you downshift is completely inconsequential especially with rev match.
And I'd argue down shifting single gears is a safer way to go for the motor just in case one mis-times a double shift.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:17 AM   #8
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Most importantly, get an instructor to drive with ya.
That's absolutely key. Also attend events that offer classrooms. The sooner you start to learn proper technique the faster you will go faster
I think that this is very good advice. If you have an instructor ride along, they will be able to feel the inputs that you are making, and how the car reacts to those inputs. With this knowledge, they will be able to give you well-informed advice on how to improve your technique.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Some good comments already, the best of which is get an instructor/coach in the car. As you are no-doubt aware your car, even in stock condition, is capable of shaving 13-14 seconds off your lap.

As with many drivers at this track you're over-slowing the car at the end of both main straights. Braking too early, too long and not hard enough is the common problem.

Carrying more speed onto the straight and deeper into the braking zones. We've all heard it before. Sounds intimidating but it may be easier to cut big increments of time there vs trying to correct the harder to master subtleties of T6, 6a, etc. Multiple seconds vs tenths.

Braking and Corner entry: Knowing you need to brake later is one thing, actually doing it is a whole other thing. A good instructor can work with you to develop braking exercises that will allow you to gain confidence in your brakes and to gradually and safely move your initial braking point deeper into the braking zone. Once you've learned these drills you can apply them to any track.

Corner exit: The most important corner on this track is Oak Tree. Your car has the torque and can certainly carry it in 3rd gear, but over the years I've found 2nd usually gives me a better launch onto the straight and better speed over the length of the straight. If you choose to use 3rd you must carry your speed through the corner and all the way out over the rumble strips to the edge of the pavement on corner exit. Remember if you get a better corner exit, you will have to manage the increased speed in the next braking zone.

Not everyone thinks of T5b through the Climbing Esses to T10 as a "straight" but it really is. Setting up to the right in 5b lines you up to get to throttle earlier and to straight-line through 6a & b generating greater speed all the way into T10. Too far to the left and you're stuck going the "long way" around that big left curb entering 6.

Also, opinions will vary on this, particularly in the Esses, but you don't necessarily have to shy away from the curbing especially in 16b and 17.

Have fun & be safe!
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
JD_

Thank you to everyone who replied here and in private messages. Gave me a lot of food for thought (and reading materials!)

Looking forward to the next track day more than ever!
Old 05-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Best of luck and wishing ya bags of fun!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote