Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Nucdancer01

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel ZL1 1LE
ZLE Track duty wheels

I'm sorry if this has been addressed multiple times, but I cannot get search to come up with anything fruitful.

Would you choose to track a ZLE on stock wheels or aftermarket, and use stock for street use?

I think most have dedicated track wheels and leave stock for street duty, but when considering weight/quality/strength, and how much of a PITA it is to clean the stock wheels, seems like aftermarket for the street and stock for the track would work best.

I don't have a ton of experience on road courses in a car, but really have a passion beginning for it and don't want to have to mount/dismount track tires for every event.

Thanks guys!

-Jeremy
Nucdancer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Personally I'd get a different set of wheels for the street that will use a tire size that isn't quite as large/expensive as stock sizes. The SC3Rs are phenomenal track tires on the proper alignment, and for street use you don't necessarily need a setup that's that aggressive. The OE wheels are more than up to the task, and you probably won't see any significant performance benefit with switching away unless you're already able to run at the car's limit. Tons of options out there from Apex, MRR, and a few others for aftermarket wheels.

Or until you get really into it just run the OE setup on the track and street. Nothing wrong with that either.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #3
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucdancer01 View Post
I'm sorry if this has been addressed multiple times, but I cannot get search to come up with anything fruitful.

Would you choose to track a ZLE on stock wheels or aftermarket, and use stock for street use?

I think most have dedicated track wheels and leave stock for street duty, but when considering weight/quality/strength, and how much of a PITA it is to clean the stock wheels, seems like aftermarket for the street and stock for the track would work best.

I don't have a ton of experience on road courses in a car, but really have a passion beginning for it and don't want to have to mount/dismount track tires for every event.

Thanks guys!

-Jeremy
If i were you, id do the following:

1. Dismount the G3Rs (and store them) and get a set of G3s in your stock sizes

2. Buy a set of ZLE stock size Apex rims (nice looking, much cheaper than other options, yet track proven).

3. Decide which rims you prefer for DD vs track look wise. Then mount tires that will provide good DD performance AND longevity. If you have a fat wallet then Michellin 4S is likely the best. If not, other good choices are available.

4. Mount G3s on you track rims and learn the car on those vs G3Rs. G3s are superb track tire, slower than G3R, but still very fast. They last about 6-8 track days, communicate limits superbly, etc. As a novice, or even an experienced intermediate, you will likely not go any faster on G3Rs until you learn the craft and are able to push the car much closer to its limits. And pushing a ZLE to its limits will take a bit of time, quality instruction, seat time, etc. So no point learning on a tire which will cord in maximum 4 days (if you rotate the fronts regularly). I pass many ZLEs in my car on G3s and less power simply because i happen to have more experience as a driver. And that's absolutely normal and to be expected.

Lastly, i would not recommend using G3Rs as a dual DD and track tire (except for driving to/from track) simply because they dont last long.

Hope this make sense to ya Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
Nucdancer01

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel ZL1 1LE
I've already bought street tires (within about 3 days of owning the car!) They aren't PS4's because I read that the new PS AS3+ was a great street tire, 2 year newer design than PS4's, and didn't have a temp requirement at all. These tires have been good on the street, even though I had to drop to a 285 up front, still have 325 in the back. It's a little stretched, but again these are my street tires. I mounted them on the stock wheels.

I stored the stock G3R's. But now that the weather is nice, I had planned to mount them and drive - knowing they won't last - but trying to get the feel on the track. I don't really plan to put them on street wheels, but I am wondering which wheel to put dedicated track tires on. I'm not going for lap records, just trying to learn my car to appreciate the insane engineering that was put into it.

When those are gone, I will likely go with Bridgestone, since I am an employee and get 50% off. RE71R's or something...

Thanks for the input guys, just trying to get a feel for which wheels most people choose to track the car with.

(BTW, I am fully aware that this car is much faster than I am, and I know that anybody with real track experience is going to be faster as well. However, I challenge myself and usually don't compete very hard with other people.)
Nucdancer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucdancer01 View Post
I've already bought street tires (within about 3 days of owning the car!) They aren't PS4's because I read that the new PS AS3+ was a great street tire, 2 year newer design than PS4's, and didn't have a temp requirement at all. These tires have been good on the street, even though I had to drop to a 285 up front, still have 325 in the back. It's a little stretched, but again these are my street tires. I mounted them on the stock wheels.

I stored the stock G3R's. But now that the weather is nice, I had planned to mount them and drive - knowing they won't last - but trying to get the feel on the track. I don't really plan to put them on street wheels, but I am wondering which wheel to put dedicated track tires on. I'm not going for lap records, just trying to learn my car to appreciate the insane engineering that was put into it.

When those are gone, I will likely go with Bridgestone, since I am an employee and get 50% off. RE71R's or something...

Thanks for the input guys, just trying to get a feel for which wheels most people choose to track the car with.

(BTW, I am fully aware that this car is much faster than I am, and I know that anybody with real track experience is going to be faster as well. However, I challenge myself and usually don't compete very hard with other people.)
Looks like you're already ahead of the game!
In this case i would defo suggest getting a set of Apex rims in stock sizes/specs. Then mount the G3Rs on them and enjoy learning the craft. After they cord, decide what other tires to use for track BUT i would absolutely ensure they are *stock specs* to ensure all PTM electronics perform as designed. Cheers!

PS RE71R would be out due to size unavailability, but there are other decent choices, plus of course GoodYears G3.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
As fast as these cars go through tires, you’d better plan on using ALL of your wheels for track tires! I pretty much toasted my front tires in one day yesterday at Roebling Road. RR is known for being tough on tires.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote