Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
freddyfcs

Drives: soon
cypher harness bar

I'm getting a track setup done and decided to use a harness bar instead of a roll cage.Mainly because my car isnt a dedicated track car and i don't want to remove the rear seats,yet! .So far i've narrowed down to Bk and the cypher because we can still use some of the rear seats with either but it looks like the cypher one is half of the price and less intrusive in the rear..Does Anybody had any experience with these?
https://www.phastekperformance.com/C...-cpa5022hb.htm
freddyfcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Lots of threads on this, regarding safety, starting with a fact that stock seats do not support harnesses. Id suggest you read the threads before deciding on a harness bar. I LOL when i read the description indicating this was for "competition" use. Please dont be misguided by marketing efforts, as a harness bar and competition dont belong together in the same sentence. Just my 2 cents. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #3
freddyfcs

Drives: soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Lots of threads on this, regarding safety, starting with a fact that stock seats do not support harnesses. Id suggest you read the threads before deciding on a harness bar. I LOL when i read the description indicating this was for "competition" use. Please dont be misguided by marketing efforts, as a harness bar and competition dont belong together in the same sentence. Just my 2 cents. Cheers!
Thanks for the input and your are correct.I’ve been searching a lot and probably read all the threads about the subject already but unfortunately I can’t install a cage on my car yet! A cage is the right away of doing this hands down but a harness bar ,as long as it’s safe , will do the job for me ..Only a few track events a year..this cypher bar looks good but it has one less anchor point than the bk one ..I’ll probably go bk
freddyfcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyfcs View Post
Thanks for the input and your are correct.I’ve been searching a lot and probably read all the threads about the subject already but unfortunately I can’t install a cage on my car yet! A cage is the right away of doing this hands down but a harness bar ,as long as it’s safe , will do the job for me ..Only a few track events a year..this cypher bar looks good but it has one less anchor point than the bk one ..I’ll probably go bk
Agree. Not to prolong this beyond the obvious, but when it comes to safety, you'll have to consider what youll be giving up (vs gaining) considering a stock seat, which is not designed for a harness. A lot of things need to be considered for a harness system to be effective. One of them is a proper seat.

The ONLY thing id ever consider with a stock seat is an added waist harness in addition to stock belts. But personally, havent felt a need for one, given how good the Recaros are in a 1le.

Anyhow, safety is a personal decision. The issue is, that many folks dont really appreciate how complex this subject is and paying attention to simple details is crucial.

I may have said it in another thread, but will repeat it here again: ive seen countless track cars with completely effed up harness systems, which would not provide ANY protection in case of a wreck. As in ZERO. Too many folks rely on Internet DIY "experts", or "race" shops that dont even know how to properly attach a harness via a buckle.

Sorry for the novel Stay safe and cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
Max2075

Drives: 2004 Z06, 2018 ZL1 1LE
Thought I would share a thought as well. I had a welded in harness bar in a C5 and used a hans devise. The stock seat belt was in adequate for sure. I was planing a half cage and 6 point in the camaro also. I haven't had time yet though. I did my first track day a few weeks ago and was impressed how well the seats and seat belt work together. The locking mechanism in the seat belt was more effective than I expected. If you are not using a hans device then you may not need the harness bar and you can wait to do it right all at once and be safer doing it.
Max2075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
studio rsr also makes one
Old 07-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
UrbanKnight

Drives: Fastish
Cypher is junk...

BK and 4 points are about your only option thats "safer"
UrbanKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Look for a Simpson hybrid S. Per pro drivers, this is best to a street based car. Not cheap, but I bought two, one for the passenger also.
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo-1LE View Post
Look for a Simpson hybrid S. Per pro drivers, this is best to a street based car. Not cheap, but I bought two, one for the passenger also.
This. I'm leaning towards this. I've looked into doing a 6-point/5-point installation with harness bar, but just couldn't come to sense of it with the factory seats. If you need to go the route of a harness, go to race seats+5-/6-point+a good harness bar (RSR or BK) or partial cage. Otherwise go with a Hybrid S. The re-sale is good on them, too, when you need to part from it (just have it re-cert by Simpson if anything). They are also very versatile.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote