Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Thoughts on finding a used vert

Hi, all.

I am currently in the market for a used (CPO would potentially be great depending on OTD price) vert with some specific options. I am interested in hearing from those that have some direct knowledge / experience with the various potential models as to whether or not I should opt one way or another.

Common options:
Convertible
6.2L
6MT
Magnetic Ride
NPP (possibly)

Possible models:
2015 ZL1
2017 2SS (maybe newer, again cost dependant)
2017 ZL1 (maybe newer, huge stretch due to cost)

The mag ride and 6MT are non-negotiable. NPP seems like it would be something I would personally want, but open to some thoughts about what it adds and what it might subtract (positives and negatives of having it).

Distance from me isn't an option as I will gladly spend a few hundred dollars in travel to acquire the right car, so it's really about whether I should be targeting a particular year/model, and whether or not things like NPP are worth holding out for. The way that I want the car equipped, and the color combos that I like, makes the target list very short out of what's available on the market right now.

I'm also not necessarily in a rush, but the nice weather is here. And, given that my typical amount of travel for work is currently holding at zero, it would be a great time to pick one up. Thoughts? Ideas?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
Your spot on with the options you want. NPP is worth every penny, unless your going to go after market anyways.
Manual trans to avoid the auto problems.
6.2 is a beast!
Good luck on your search.

Tim
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsont View Post
Your spot on with the options you want. NPP is worth every penny, unless your going to go after market anyways.
Manual trans to avoid the auto problems.
6.2 is a beast!
Good luck on your search.

Tim
Thanks for the thoughts.

The 2015 ZL1 makes my list of possible models because of Magnetic Ride (and that's a hard requirement because I do want it to ride nicely on the secondary roads around here). That model year doesn't have NPP has an option, so will I actually miss it?

Let me fill in some more blanks, too... I want the "oomph" that a 6.2/manual can offer, and I will definitely appreciate a nice exhaust note. But, I am not looking to "race" the car in any fashion. I want the manual because A) I haven't owned one in almost two decades and B) it will provide a non-AFM setup for the engine without having to defeat it. While my 2015 Silverado has an excellent AFM-based motor, I don't want that setup in a car like this.

With those sort of things in mind, I believe I will miss a little bit of the 'braap' that the NPP offers if I don't get it, but am I honestly really going to miss it in any other area?
Old 05-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #4
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
I would stay away from the 5th gen convertibles. When I was shopping for my car I read that the fabric tops tend to develop wear marks since that generation didn't come with a tonneau cover to help hold the top in place when stowed. The only problem I've experienced with my 6th gen convertible top was the rear window started delaminating due to buffeting with windows down at 50+. Since I started keeping my windows up at higher speeds, the problem has not come back. I also drive my car year round and the fabric is still in good shape after 3 years.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chosen one View Post
I would stay away from the 5th gen convertibles. When I was shopping for my car I read that the fabric tops tend to develop wear marks since that generation didn't come with a tonneau cover to help hold the top in place when stowed. The only problem I've experienced with my 6th gen convertible top was the rear window started delaminating due to buffeting with windows down at 50+. Since I started keeping my windows up at higher speeds, the problem has not come back. I also drive my car year round and the fabric is still in good shape after 3 years.
Thanks for the thoughts.

When you refer to buffeting with the windows down, are you referring to having the top down or up in that situation? Just curious as for me, the windows will always be up.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
I daily drive my 2018 2ss vert and debated heavily getting the ZL1. I’m glad I just got the SS because honestly the ZL1 would have been overkill. The SS is plenty enough for me and since I’ll never track and simply enjoy the v8 with creature comforts, the 2ss was perfect.
The 6th gen overall is much better convertible wise. I’d explore 2018 2ss as well if the price is right bc the A8 (if you want an auto) seems more stable that year (mine is fine so far).

NPP is awesome. I know there are aftermarket that sound just as good, but it’s a great feature and Chevy did an awesome job with how it was implemented.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
I daily drive my 2018 2ss vert and debated heavily getting the ZL1. I’m glad I just got the SS because honestly the ZL1 would have been overkill. The SS is plenty enough for me and since I’ll never track and simply enjoy the v8 with creature comforts, the 2ss was perfect.
The 6th gen overall is much better convertible wise. I’d explore 2018 2ss as well if the price is right bc the A8 (if you want an auto) seems more stable that year (mine is fine so far).

NPP is awesome. I know there are aftermarket that sound just as good, but it’s a great feature and Chevy did an awesome job with how it was implemented.
Thanks for the info... I don't want an automatic and am open to the 2018/2019 models but price will determine whether or not they can make the list for true consideration.

My reasoning behind looking at the 2015 ZL1 specifically is because I do like the styling of the Gen 5 but MagRide is a hard requirement. Since it's only available on the ZL1 in that generation, that would be the only model that would make the list. It's already a fair amount older than what I would want, PLUS it's a previous gen tech-wise. Add in the fact that I can't find what I want -at all- in that generation (save one vehicle) and it's easy to see that I will almost certainly be in the Gen 6 version (and why I posted this thread here instead of the Gen5 forums as more info is really needed on the Gen6 models anyhow).

Here's another question... The NPP exhaust can be visually identified in photos because it has four tips. Is there any way to visually identify the presence of MagRide? Dealers don't have a clue and they want you to buy the car before they'll get off their a$$ to tell you anything about it. So, getting answers is an exercise in futility.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Thanks for the info... I don't want an automatic and am open to the 2018/2019 models but price will determine whether or not they can make the list for true consideration.

My reasoning behind looking at the 2015 ZL1 specifically is because I do like the styling of the Gen 5 but MagRide is a hard requirement. Since it's only available on the ZL1 in that generation, that would be the only model that would make the list. It's already a fair amount older than what I would want, PLUS it's a previous gen tech-wise. Add in the fact that I can't find what I want -at all- in that generation (save one vehicle) and it's easy to see that I will almost certainly be in the Gen 6 version (and why I posted this thread here instead of the Gen5 forums as more info is really needed on the Gen6 models anyhow).

Here's another question... The NPP exhaust can be visually identified in photos because it has four tips. Is there any way to visually identify the presence of MagRide? Dealers don't have a clue and they want you to buy the car before they'll get off their a$$ to tell you anything about it. So, getting answers is an exercise in futility.
Best way to tell mag ride is either have dealer turn on car and confirm suspension settings are available or obtain the VIN and have Chevy run it to confirm the RPO codes and see if mag ride is there. There is a physical way to look under the car, but it isn’t easy and if shopping online, basically not helpful.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
Best way to tell mag ride is either have dealer turn on car and confirm suspension settings are available or obtain the VIN and have Chevy run it to confirm the RPO codes and see if mag ride is there. There is a physical way to look under the car, but it isn’t easy and if shopping online, basically not helpful.
Thanks. Involving the dealer is not helpful... I sent an inquiry to a non-GM dealership about a car they have advertised. After THREE times of asking my question, a person responded. That conversation went like this:

Salesperson: What did you want to know about the car?
Me: Not sure why my questions hasn't come through the last two times I've sent it, but I'm trying to find out if this car is factory-equipped with Magnetic Ride Control.
Salesperson: What's Magnetic Ride?
Me: <delete>

I'm shopping online and have zero interest in even contacting a dealer unless there's a high likelihood that the car is equipped the way I want as I won't get anything but the runaround from them trying to figure things out. I am NOT the target shopper that salespeople are trained/educated for, and I haven't bought a single vehicle in the last 30 years that I haven't known more than they do about them at the point of our first contact.

I did find a Chevy VIN Decoder that seems to be able to pull the options out reliably at least at a cursory level (the handful of vehicles I checked the VIN's on were all non-MRC equipped except one, and that was a new one).
Old 05-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #10
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Thanks for the thoughts.

When you refer to buffeting with the windows down, are you referring to having the top down or up in that situation? Just curious as for me, the windows will always be up.
It only happens with the top up and windows down. Basically the rear window area starts deflecting a lot from the air entering the cab. You can still crack the windows if needed you just can’t have them all the way down.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:06 PM   #11
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chosen one View Post
It only happens with the top up and windows down. Basically the rear window area starts deflecting a lot from the air entering the cab. You can still crack the windows if needed you just can’t have them all the way down.
Got it... Thanks.

As mentioned - I won't drive with the windows down and top up as my goal is to have this be my "weekend car" for when it's nice and the top will be -down-.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:00 AM   #12
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
I totally agree with what's been said here. Go with the SS. I have a '17 optioned exactly as your list. If you're not tracking it, it's very unlikely you'll regret skipping the ZL1. I've owned several other "fast" cars, Mustang GT, 2 other Camaros, and an E46 M3. I always thought they could've been faster. But the acceleration of this generation SS is in a different league. The extra features and lower mileage vs a ZL1 will be a bonus. Good luck, let us know.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #13
L98 Z28

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6spd Convertible NFG
The ZL1 convertible might be overkill, but that's why it's so much fun, especially with the M6. Glad I got it.
L98 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by L98 Z28 View Post
The ZL1 convertible might be overkill, but that's why it's so much fun, especially with the M6. Glad I got it.
lol... I hear ya!

Only likely way I would grab a ZL1 would be a Gen 5. Too much money still in the Gen 6 area for me to want to touch one.

I found a 2SS that's not too bad in terms of options (good exterior color, plain black interior, no mag ride but has NPP, no navigation) and super low miles, but the ask price is off by about $6000 from where it should be. Don't think the dealer is going to be very willing to move as far as he would really need to in order to entice me. He sells sporty cars and isn't a branded dealer. So, it seems he's trading on the "cool factor" only.