Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-27-2020, 06:42 AM   #15
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Second time on the forum in recent days I think that we've had a problem with a used car purchase and they take it in and find out it had been tuned and voided out. Very troubling.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:50 AM   #16
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteBlitz View Post
I purchased the vehicle under the impressions that it was stock. Had no idea it was modified. Nor was it mentioned to me that it had modifications done.

Just because I am not familiar with it yet and was a bit rusty with my shifting does not mean I am incapable of learning and getting there. I joined this forum to gain knowledge.

Who modified it I have no idea. Probably the previous owner. Carfax on the car indicate only one prior owner. Then the dealership getting it. Had no reports of any modifications.
OP - sometimes forum members can be a little unforgiving to someone new to performance vehicles. I for one am not. We all have to start somewhere and learn. The type of modifications your car has are not the type most people would be able to find on a visual inspection (pulley change and aftermarket tuning).

Its a real shame that you bought what you thought was a stock vehicle but to find out it was tuned and modified when it was too late. I certainly hope the Buick dealer will step up especially if they represented the sale as a stock vehicle.

As a suggestion since the vehicle has to down for the clutch replacement anyway maybe you should see if a competent tuner in your area could review the current tune and make sure it is safe. I'd also investigate to see if it has been tuned and modified to run e-85. That is a common modification that is often paired with a pulley change. The flex fuel sensor is a fairly small part but easily visible to a knowledgeable mechanic. Also the tuner would see the flex fuel modifications in the tune.

Good luck to you. You've had a rocky start to owning an awesome vehicle.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #17
NiteBlitz

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
OP - sometimes forum members can be a little unforgiving to someone new to performance vehicles. I for one am not. We all have to start somewhere and learn. The type of modifications your car has are not the type most people would be able to find on a visual inspection (pulley change and aftermarket tuning).

Its a real shame that you bought what you thought was a stock vehicle but to find out it was tuned and modified when it was too late. I certainly hope the Buick dealer will step up especially if they represented the sale as a stock vehicle.

As a suggestion since the vehicle has to down for the clutch replacement anyway maybe you should see if a competent tuner in your area could review the current tune and make sure it is safe. I'd also investigate to see if it has been tuned and modified to run e-85. That is a common modification that is often paired with a pulley change. The flex fuel sensor is a fairly small part but easily visible to a knowledgeable mechanic. Also the tuner would see the flex fuel modifications in the tune.

Good luck to you. You've had a rocky start to owning an awesome vehicle.
After this Ordeal is done, I will definitely call them. I called them earlier after I found out it was moded, they said that they cant do anything about the mods since they do not tune vehicles etc. but I could take the vehicle in for them to look at the clutch issue. But A) They did not say if they will fix it or not, B) It is a 3 hour drive from me, meaning I would have to drive there 3 hours, wait if repair is same day, drive back 3 hours. Or have to find a ride back if vehicle stays with them overnight. Seemed like hassle. Of course this conversation happened before I knew clutch was toast. At that moment it was most likely toast but was never confirmed.

I took the car to a very reputable performance shop in the area https://www.forzatuned.com So far they have been great, they visually inspected the mods, and they will take the car out after clutch is replaced and get some readings to see if the mods done are not damaging the vehicle. I will def ask them about the flex fuel. They said that the tune would cost about $800 but first thing is first, they have to test it out after clutch is replaced and a tune may not be needed.

This ordeal as been a headache. Especially since I only had the vehicle a little bit over a week and this issue started happening. Did not get to enjoy is as much as I would have liked. Trying to stay positive though.
NiteBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #18
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Sorry I was over the top about not handling the car. I would go back to the dealer and pitch a fit about the modification. Not sure it will help..

Good luck..

EDIT- sounds like your at a good shop...

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #19
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Sorry I was over the top about not handling the car. I would go back to the dealer and pitch a fit about the modification. Not sure it will help..

Good luck..

EDIT- sounds like your at a good shop...
No worries. Yea going to the dealer seems like a waste of time, especially given the distance. I feel like they deal with ppl bitching all the time and are set in their ways. Maybe Ill look into a lawyer or something.

****Update on the Vehicle****

Should be ready for me to pick up Wed afternoon. Dont know what took so long, kind of upset about the time. I know they had the clutch in on Thursday, if not Wednesday. I guess they are busy with other jobs, no idea but replacing it should not take more than 8 hours, even if there are complications. Dropped vehicle off Monday, so today will be 7 days without the car. They do not work weekends.

At this point I dont even know if I want them to check on what mods have been made and see if the job was done right for the mods. Might take them another few days. Feel like I may need to take it somewhere else. This place is very knowledgeable and appears to do a good job, but I dont like the lack of communication on when the vehicle will be done. Did not get final word until today until telling them if they cant do it ill take the car back. Anyways Ill keep you guys posted once I get it back and drive it for a day.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #20
avalonandl

Quote:
No worries. Yea going to the dealer seems like a waste of time, especially given the distance. I feel like they deal with ppl bitching all the time and are set in their ways. Maybe Ill look into a lawyer or something.

****Update on the Vehicle****

Should be ready for me to pick up Wed afternoon. Dont know what took so long, kind of upset about the time. I know they had the clutch in on Thursday, if not Wednesday. I guess they are busy with other jobs, no idea but replacing it should not take more than 8 hours, even if there are complications. Dropped vehicle off Monday, so today will be 7 days without the car. They do not work weekends.

At this point I dont even know if I want them to check on what mods have been made and see if the job was done right for the mods. Might take them another few days. Feel like I may need to take it somewhere else. This place is very knowledgeable and appears to do a good job, but I dont like the lack of communication on when the vehicle will be done. Did not get final word until today until telling them if they cant do it ill take the car back. Anyways Ill keep you guys posted once I get it back and drive it for a day.
Please do keep us updated.

A good tuner should be able to plug into the ECM and see whats changed.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #21
NiteBlitz

Another Update
Sadly Car is not ready. They have everything disassembled and are waiting for a part from GM, which is OEM. I forgot what the name of it was something that looked like a small circular item. Clutch actuator maybe, not sure. Anyway that is why the car was taking so long. They expected to have the part in Monday but, GM rerouted the one they ordered to a GM dealer that needed it. They explained to me that when they ship to dealers they actually make more money. Giving dealership priority. So we are still waiting. Wont be in until at least Monday, due to a strike they had at a GM plant a few weeks ago. From what I was told. In the meantime they did tell me to drop by and look at the car. Talked to the mechanic for a good 30 minutes, was no rushing me at all, and answered all of my questions. Here are some pictures from my trip. and of the clutch. The clutch was toast. Very bad shape. Mechanic said he has never seen on this bad that was under 100k miles.

https://imgur.com/RwSGCpH

https://imgur.com/1uGM2yp

https://imgur.com/JHvZgEa Picture of Clutch

Last edited by NiteBlitz; 06-03-2020 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Sorry do not know how to embed images within post
Old 06-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #22
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Guessing its the throw out bearing.

Dont know what your Lemon laws are in your state but buying a car you thought had a factory warranty but does not might fall under it.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #23
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
Guessing its the throw out bearing.

Dont know what your Lemon laws are in your state but buying a car you thought had a factory warranty but does not might fall under it.
Briefly looked into florida lemon law. It only corresponds to multiple repairs for the same issue. Or mechanical issues with the car. Nothing that I saw as dealership misleading consumers. Buying the vehicle I do remember signing a paper since it was a used car I was buying it as is.

Not sure if it is worth perusing legal action and going that route.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #24
avalonandl

That clutch is toast. You can see the heat damage, the bluish "stains" are those.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:42 PM   #25
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
The Street Twin is a great clutch. I had one back in the day on my T56 Caprice and loved it.

The clutch isn't magical though. If you are hammering on it they will wear out. I do not know if the current ones can be rebuilt, but the T56 style could be if you sent it back to McLeod.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:58 PM   #26
NiteBlitz

**Update**

Still no part. I stopped by the shop today to get an update. They stated they are still waiting for the part. Was able to get a part number from them though

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...inder-24274085

So they need the little black thing on top of the slave cylinder, BlueinTn was correct, the throw out bearing.

Car has been gone for 2.5 weeks in the shop for a clutch replacement based on them waiting for this throw out bearing. Finally got a message later in the day stating the part is coming in Friday. At this point Im not sure if they need to get the whole slave cylinder or if they can just get the bearing. They stated if part comes in as indicated on Friday, Car will be ready by Tuesday. That will be a little bit over 3 weeks in the shop.

What do you guys think? Are they bullshiting me and just dragging it out because they have other work? Or they just didn't order it in a timely manner? Or maybe their contact for GM parts just sucks? I know they have limited shop space, so I do not see a reason for them to not get me out of there. I dont know, at this point I just want the car back. It would have been nice that this was communicated to me when I dropped the car off. I was anticipating a week tops.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #27
NiteBlitz

Another Update.
I called local chevy dealer and asked them about the part. They had it in stock at another nearby dealer. They had the part ready for me around 3pm. Went to shop to ask them whats going on. They still told me a couple of days out, so I let them know they have a part ready for me to pick up at the dealership. Then he got on the phone called his supplier. His supplier stated it was a a couple of days. He then told him he needs it tomorrow and magically it is slated to come in tomorrow morning. So car will be ready by tomorrow afternoon. If it is not ready, I am going over there with a tow truck and taking it back. Honestly should not take 18 days to replace a clutch, even if waiting on parts from the manufacturer.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:11 AM   #28
avalonandl

Quote:
Another Update.
I called local chevy dealer and asked them about the part. They had it in stock at another nearby dealer. They had the part ready for me around 3pm. Went to shop to ask them whats going on. They still told me a couple of days out, so I let them know they have a part ready for me to pick up at the dealership. Then he got on the phone called his supplier. His supplier stated it was a a couple of days. He then told him he needs it tomorrow and magically it is slated to come in tomorrow morning. So car will be ready by tomorrow afternoon. If it is not ready, I am going over there with a tow truck and taking it back. Honestly should not take 18 days to replace a clutch, even if waiting on parts from the manufacturer.
Agreed......