Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 05-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
OnThr3

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ss
Throttle Position Code and MAF code

Hi guys! 2018 camaro ss A8

Recently installed a whipple had tons of problems with the tune buttttt ill leave that in my other post. I had no previous codes prior to putting the Whipple on the stock car (besides an MBRP axleback). I got a tuner in my area to give me a tune that i'm confident with but I have 3 codes that I believe are causing the car to shutter at WOT on the top end as well as stutter around 1100 rpms and 1400rpms when maintaining speed on the road/highway. I have a MAF sensor code (we tried replacing it, no luck), a Throttle position sensor code, and a Catalyst code (bought headers and midpipe to delete them so not worried about this one) Can anyone give me any insight as to what could be causing the TPS And MAF code? Really stuck here...
OnThr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
When the install on the car was done was the battery connection pulled before any work was started? It can cause codes to be triggered and stored.

Have the current codes been cleared?

What did the tuner use for a base tune? A 2018 Zl1 / A10 would be a good place to start provided the fuel system on your car was updated to the full LT4 fuel system. I have a hunch that the VVT cam tables are causing some of your issues for the part throttle steady state cruising.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
Vermillion19SS

Drives: 19 Chevy Camaro SS, 18 VW Tiguan
Hmm, shouldn’t get a code if it was tuned properly. Permanent codes should clear after so many in spec sampling. Did you get a larger throttle body as well? I know some tuners have had problems with fuel/air, throttle body position, and timing either near idle at wot when replacing the throttle body - the supercharger could have just exacerbated the problem. Could be a problem with the throttle body’s electronics. I don’t like to throw tuners under the bus but it sounds to me like they have more work to do.

Additionally, I’m assuming they checked for air leaks? If everything isn’t sealed up and seated nice and tight you can get all kinds of problems. But it honestly sounds like the tune. I’ve seen a lot of tuners just throw a bunch of fuel at problems - especially around idle - to sort things out instead of properly dialing everything in.

Last edited by Vermillion19SS; 05-13-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Vermillion19SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
What are the code #'s

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
OnThr3

Ok to answer a few questions... we have done a smoke test on the supercharger intake itself and there were no leaks too be seen. We hadn't disconnected the battery when we began the install until the whole intake was off. However, we did disconnect the battery soon after and finished the install. My tuner did do the re-learn process for the throttle body after the fact. Still have the code and it still runs sh*tty. He says that the MAF seems to be well within the parameters and is working as it should but we still have a code for that.. He even used a permanent code clear on both of them and both came back and still the car is running with the same problems...

P.S. Ill get the exact code #'s soon!
Old 05-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
OnThr3

UPDATE: MAF has been solved and the 1100 and 1400rpm stutters are gone thanks to disabling the AFM oops forgot about v4 mode lol.

Still have the throttle position code p0121 symptoms are cutouts/stutters with heavy throttle please help me out!
Old 05-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
OnThr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
What are the code #'s
its a p0121 now only we fixed the other codes please help!
Old 05-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #8
Katoom271

Drives: 1SS 1LE
I had the same code after my Whipple install using their supplied tune. If I drove the car very gently, the code would never pop up, but after a spirited drive the CEL would illuminate P0121 every time. I took my car to a very reputable tuner and he explained to me the map sees more air than expected from boost compared to the throttle opening and assumes something is wrong, throwing that code. After a professional tune I have not seen the code since. Do not let your tuner band aid the issue, have the car properly tuned.
Katoom271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Ponyeatr16ss Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyeatr16ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThr3 View Post
Hi guys! 2018 camaro ss A8

Recently installed a whipple had tons of problems with the tune buttttt ill leave that in my other post. I had no previous codes prior to putting the Whipple on the stock car (besides an MBRP axleback). I got a tuner in my area to give me a tune that i'm confident with but I have 3 codes that I believe are causing the car to shutter at WOT on the top end as well as stutter around 1100 rpms and 1400rpms when maintaining speed on the road/highway. I have a MAF sensor code (we tried replacing it, no luck), a Throttle position sensor code, and a Catalyst code (bought headers and midpipe to delete them so not worried about this one) Can anyone give me any insight as to what could be causing the TPS And MAF code? Really stuck here...
if you have codes after a tune from a local tuner there you probably have a tuner who don't know how to tune a car. just my $.02
Ponyeatr16ss is offline   Reply With Quote