Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Knucklehead move...

Man, I'm feeling now too...

So, last weekend I went for a drive... it was late, around midnight. Yeah, sometimes I just go for a drive lol... Anyway, needed gas.

After a nice run up I15, I hit one of my usual watering holes... The ride was about an 1/8th from empty.

I stopped and began pumping gas. I was 6 gallons in before I noticed I was putting 87 Octane in it!!

Crap! WTF! Not cool... never have I ever! It was late and to my defense, I put 87 in my work pickup truck... but in the Camaro?!?!? NEVER BEFORE!

Anyway, stopped pumping immediately. Started again with 91 but quickly remembered I had one of those LUCAS Fuel injector cleaners with octane boost in the trunk... supposedly, ya don't need to use hi octane fuel with one of those. Hmm... I added the stuff to my tank, and pumped 8 more gallons of 91 Octane.

I'm not worried per say, but I am concerned about having to drive with about half a freakin tank of low octane fuel... and to top it off, I feel it. It seems that the Lucas stuff didn't work before the fuel mapping on my car seems to have taken a step back to 87 Octane.

I reckon I just have to burn it off before I pull the 5 and 20 again and/or retune...

Just had to share this knucklehead move... moral of the story, Watch what you're doing lol
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Won't hurt anything. Run it until just about empty, fill with 91 and do the fuse pull .. everything should be as it was
Old 11-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Won't hurt anything. Run it until just about empty, fill with 91 and do the fuse pull .. everything should be as it was

Right on! Will for sure feel it when its back. 1st World problems, eh?
Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
0-120

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
There are 91 octane stickers on ebay. I know in Oregon it helps because you cannot pump your own fuel there. It may serve as a self-reminder too!
Old 11-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #5
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
As long as you still have a proper low octane spark map you’re good. Run it empty and fill with 91
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
CHRISCAM

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-120 View Post
There are 91 octane stickers on ebay. I know in Oregon it helps because you cannot pump your own fuel there. It may serve as a self-reminder too!
This makes me think of a bonehead move a co-worker of mine recently did. He was taking our company's promotional van on a road trip back east. He pulled into a gas station and proceeded to fill the diesel-powered Transit van with, you guessed it, good ol' 87 octane gas!
Needless to say, word got around the office and by the time he was back from his trip someone had printed up a big sticker that said "Diesel Only" and put it on his desk to welcome him back.
Boss wasn't too thrilled, as the repair to flush the tank and replace filters, seals, etc. was pretty expensive. Overall, not the most fiscally productive sales trip for my associate. Lol.
CHRISCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
When the school bus stops next to you at a stop signal bury your face in your hands.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #8
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
When the school bus stops next to you at a stop signal bury your face in your hands.

ROFL

I think this whole experience in its self is enough to remind me forever. Car runs fine but it does seem to be missing that extra juice.........
Old 11-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISCAM View Post
This makes me think of a bonehead move a co-worker of mine recently did. He was taking our company's promotional van on a road trip back east. He pulled into a gas station and proceeded to fill the diesel-powered Transit van with, you guessed it, good ol' 87 octane gas!
Needless to say, word got around the office and by the time he was back from his trip someone had printed up a big sticker that said "Diesel Only" and put it on his desk to welcome him back.
Boss wasn't too thrilled, as the repair to flush the tank and replace filters, seals, etc. was pretty expensive. Overall, not the most fiscally productive sales trip for my associate. Lol.

A diesel motor will run on gasoline, it will just have no power. All you have to do is run it out at idle or drain the tank, then refill with diesel. It will puke and smoke for a bit, but then clear. It won't ruin any filters or seals. Someone ripped you on that.
Now, diesel in a gasoline engine, it will blow the intake off as soon as it hits the intake manifold.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #10
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-120 View Post
That law changed recently. You can self-service in Oregon now, but that sticker would be necessary for sure if someone other than me was putting gas in my car.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:05 AM   #11
CHRISCAM

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
A diesel motor will run on gasoline, it will just have no power. All you have to do is run it out at idle or drain the tank, then refill with diesel. It will puke and smoke for a bit, but then clear. It won't ruin any filters or seals. Someone ripped you on that.
Now, diesel in a gasoline engine, it will blow the intake off as soon as it hits the intake manifold.
Well, tell that to my coworker. The van drove for about 5 miles on the highway after putting the gas in it. Probably lasted that long due to having a couple of gallons of diesel still in it. He told me it ran rougher and rougher and then just completely died and then would not start again.
The dealership may have overbilled for unnecessary labor on cleaning the lines & replacing the fuel filter though. You're probably right about that.
CHRISCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:19 AM   #12
theflea42
#938 of 1524

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition Camaro
You could run a gallon or two out, then fill it back up with the good stuff. That'll let the good gas mix in with the cheap stuff. Do this 3-4 times and you should be good to go.
theflea42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:21 AM   #13
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
91? I shudder at the thought. My baby runs on 93 only. We stopped at a gas station and I saw it only had 92 so I left and went down the street to one that had 93. Wife just rolls her eyes. She just doesn’t understand.

How about keeping a bottle of that 104+ octane booster in the trunk? I always wondered if I should do the same next time we travel.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #14
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I did the same thing this summer. Pulled up to a pump and just about to hit the 93 button. When a older gentleman and his wife distracted me and wanted to know about my car. On the way home I had a {BRAIN FART} something was wrong.
Looked at my gas receipt and right away saw the price of gas and new I did the unthinkable and put 87 in the car. I got home and put fuel conditioner in then drove it to mix everything. Car had a little chug to it. Burned off a few gallons and top off with 93. Drove it some more and straightened it self out.