Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-29-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
ChevyMike

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 6-speed
Exclamation Rear End Weight Transfer Squeak

Hey guys, just made an account on here to hopefully find a solution as to why my camaro is making this awfully annoying squeaking sound on the passenger side rear from what I can hear. The camaro has 26,000 miles on it.

So far, I'm able to hear the squeak under these circumstances:
- Sometimes when I change gears, rear end squeaks briefly.
- When I tap the throttle and let off immediately after, repeating this process several times enough to make the car constantly buck like a bull, it squeaks consistently every time in the rear.
- Under hard acceleration, or mild acceleration, it squeaks consistently as well, which led me to believe that it is indeed a weight transfer squeak.
-Sometimes, and yes only sometimes, it will squeak when you bounce on the passenger side of the trunk area near the taillight with all your weight, which I found to be odd how that only happens sometimes.

I originally thought it had to be a bushing, so I went ahead and checked and the only thing I thought seemed out of place was the upper trailing arm, so I replaced both on both sides and the squeak did not go away.

Then I thought it was my shocks, and since I have the optional magneride suspension I wanted to rule this possibility out last cause that would be the most expensive potential fix. It also doesn't sound like it's a shock problem.

I then read on various threads in the forums about how some people had issues with the rear seat latch being loose or something along those lines, so I checked that and it was fine. I'm positive the squeak is exterior but it was worth a shot for peace of mind.

The only thing I have left to check is what seems to be the infamous brake line isolator squeak behind the rear wheel liner that everyone seems to be talking about, and apparently there are three spot welds that Chevy did not complete from factory that I also did not check, saving that for last as well.

I thought it could possibly just be diff fluid, but the squeak doesn't happen when I turn unless the car is bucking and the weight is transferring, so I'm not sure changing that will solve anything.

All in all, I'm desperate and would appreciate any info I can get on this.
ChevyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5/6. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives', husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!