Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 07-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #1
SnowWhiteSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Differential click/pop sound

Okay so I’ve noticed over the last few months that my SS does this weird thing where it clicks/pops every time I let off the throttle, and then again when I reapply the throttle in any gear. It gets louder when the car is warm, so loud that I can hear it inside the car even with the windows up. I can also physically feel the car jerk when this happens too. It almost feels like the pinion is skipping a tooth on the ring gear causing a jerk. I can recreate this sound by holding the brake and putting the car in first gear then releasing the clutch to its friction point (pop 1), then immediately putting it in reverse and doing the same thing (pop 2). I did it in this video I posted on YouTube, here’s the link. Is this normal or am I tripping. I have a apt at the dealer set up for next Friday the 9th. Reason why I’m worried about it now is because I’m literally about to go full bolt on (ported msd, headers, full exhaust, soler 95mm throttle body, E) and I want to get this taken care of before I start adding these parts I already bought and void my warranty.

EDIT: forgot to say, I thought it was my clutch making normal clutch noises at first but it’s not, if I physically grab the driveshaft and turn it with my hand while the car is on the ground, it has like a 1/10 revolution of play and it clicks back and forth inside the diff, so it’s 100% something with the diff. I know 373 gears are known to be loud. But this loud??
Thanks

https://youtube.com/shorts/7WgQ3iY8JSg?feature=share

Last edited by SnowWhiteSS; 07-03-2021 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
SnowWhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Dude why are you torturing your drivetrain?

All differentials have backlash.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:46 PM   #3
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Drives: 22 1LE 2SS M6 Riverside Blue
Could it be rear end links? I had a very similar issue witha 2018 camaro ss M6, even backing up it made a popping noise. It went away for good after getting retightened.

2020 Red Hot Camaro 2SS 1LE/PDR /Sold

2018 black Camaro 2SS M6 Redline Edition/Traded

2016 summit white Camaro RS V6 M6/Traded
mano_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
If that lash isn't there the driveline would destroy itself. Some cars more than others for sure but some is normal and your description is normal.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
SnowWhiteSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
If that lash isn't there the driveline would destroy itself. Some cars more than others for sure but some is normal and your description is normal.
Okay that’s a relief actually. Thank you for the response.
SnowWhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:35 PM   #6
switzer

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro X2 Ford Excursion
Did you ever get your rear diff checked by Chevrolet? Did you find out what it was, was it normal? I purchased a new 2022 SS 1LE with the 6 speed and my diff does the same thing. I couldn't hear the noise in your video. I have video of the movement of pinioon in the diff and makes that noise andit wasn't like this a couple months ago. I bought it 9-30-22, I have 1475 miles on the car, followed break-in procedure 95% and to me the amount of movement in the pinion and the noise is not normal. I took the car to the dealership last Saturday, 1-28-23 and they didn't have a technical technician to loo at the diff but the service writer said of course, That's normal." It may be normal to have that much backlash but to have that noise that sounds like ring and pinion are about to explode can't be. I own a 1976 Chevy 3/4 ton 4-speed with 30?,??? miles and it doesn't make that noise. I alsoam a bit worried about warranty as I have installed BMR, toe rods, cradle shims and cradle lock out kit and upper control arms. BMR parts are to make it better but Chevrolet may use it to void warranty. May be covered by tat Magnassun law possibly or whatever that law is. Long thread and I apologize. First time post. Thank you all. I have learned alot. Where can I post those videos of my diff? Thanks again.
Here is a link to a video showing pinion making that noise. Another video on the noise turning the wheel.
Pinion Link https://gopro.com/v/57mXKbBDNXv15
Wheel Link https://gopro.com/v/8veb7KrzwP054

Is this normal?

Last edited by switzer; 02-02-2023 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Link to video
switzer is offline   Reply With Quote