Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 09-16-2021, 12:25 PM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I wish that were the case. I witnessed an accident and volunteered to the innocent party that I would back them up if needed. What a mistake. The other side fought everything all the way...I wrote up a report, then they wanted a phone interview, then a taped statement at my home, then a deposition was scheduled at an attorney's office, then their would have been a trial.

I was treated as if I were the liar at every stage. Well sorry to say, they wore me out. I threw in the towel when they wanted a deposition at an attorney's office. Every time I told them my story was the same, and every time they said this would be the last thing I needed to do anything, there was always something else.

I tried to do the right thing, but it was never enough.

The system for so-called justice stinks. My advice, if no one is hurt, is don't get involved. It's not worth the hassle.
And that's exactly what they wanted to happen... They wanted the evidence to "disappear." True, a camera with a recording would SEEM to be more valuable, but that gets pushed back on just as hard. If you had a camera and offered the footage, they would have to confiscate the camera directly into police custody and you'd never get it back. You absolutely can't TOUCH anything or the other side will cry that the images were doctored.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #30
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
And that's exactly what they wanted to happen... They wanted the evidence to "disappear." True, a camera with a recording would SEEM to be more valuable, but that gets pushed back on just as hard. If you had a camera and offered the footage, they would have to confiscate the camera directly into police custody and you'd never get it back. You absolutely can't TOUCH anything or the other side will cry that the images were doctored.
Pretty f*cked up how justice gets tossed asside in the name of $ and a good attorney.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #31
pzoom

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE SHOCK
You can get a Garmin OBD plug and dash cam for <$200 and install in less than 10 minutes. No hacking, disassembly, etc. See the audio section, it’s simple and with all the crazies out there it is worth it.
pzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #32
pzoom

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE SHOCK
Quote:
Many cameras have an online vault plus phone backup. An impact or voice command immediately dumps the last minute of footage to your phone and online. Taking your camera won’t stop them.

There is a bump to the entrance of my neighborhood that sets off my camera if I come in a little too fast. It’s in my vault within minutes.
pzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #33
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzoom View Post
Many cameras have an online vault plus phone backup. An impact or voice command immediately dumps the last minute of footage to your phone and online. Taking your camera won’t stop them.

There is a bump to the entrance of my neighborhood that sets off my camera if I come in a little too fast. It’s in my vault within minutes.
Huh?

My point is that the nothing can be touched in terms of the recorded content. Simply removing an SDCARD breaks chain of custody even if you hand it directly to an officer.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #34
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
You can get a Garmin OBD plug and dash cam for <$200 and install in less than 10 minutes. No hacking, disassembly, etc. See the audio section, it’s simple and with all the crazies out there it is worth it.
This is probably the best route to go instead of a hardwired system.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #35
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
I think you would be fine removing the sdcard in the presence of the officer. No way I'd be ripping my hard wired in dash cam from my windshield lol.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:11 PM   #36
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
I think you would be fine removing the sdcard in the presence of the officer. No way I'd be ripping my hard wired in dash cam from my windshield lol.
If you take the card out, even in the presence of an officer, its integrity will be challenged and the video will most likely be tossed as evidence.

If you're the one in the accident that needs it for proof, you'd give the camera up willingly. If it's for someone else, well, then I guess "it depends."
Old 09-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #37
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Its even worse where I live. If she had hit you and drove off, they would still do NOTHING about it even if you have it on video unless there was someone in your party that was injured due to the accident. If it were just property damage, tough cookies.
That's how it is pretty much everywhere.

Any sort of accident or damage gets handled as a civil case, not a criminal one. Police can only intervene directly at the criminal level and they have to see it themselves. It's no different than calling the police to say "I saw someone speeding and have proof."
Old 09-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #38
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Quote:
If you take the card out, even in the presence of an officer, its integrity will be challenged and the video will most likely be tossed as evidence.

If you're the one in the accident that needs it for proof, you'd give the camera up willingly. If it's for someone else, well, then I guess "it depends."
Seems questionable.. Never heard of this, lol. Every instance I've read the police/courts would take the sd card only. Unsure how the "integrity" can be challenged of an entire sd card for being removed from a device. The meta-data, timestamps, and analysis of the footage would show that it was not altered or tampered with. If someone used their PDR system to capture a recording of an accident... would they toss the footage unless they took out the entire dash with the sd card slot and PDR system? Lol.

But.. who knows, the legal system is wonky at best, and lawyers/etc will attempt anything, semi-legal or not, to throw a wrench into everyone's day lol.
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #39
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
Seems questionable.. Never heard of this, lol. Every instance I've read the police/courts would take the sd card only. Unsure how the "integrity" can be challenged of an entire sd card for being removed from a device. The meta-data, timestamps, and analysis of the footage would show that it was not altered or tampered with. If someone used their PDR system to capture a recording of an accident... would they toss the footage unless they took out the entire dash with the sd card slot and PDR system? Lol.

But.. who knows, the legal system is wonky at best, and lawyers/etc will attempt anything, semi-legal or not, to throw a wrench into everyone's day lol.
Unfortunately, it's all about creating "reasonable doubt." Ask enough questions that are difficult to answer, especially if the answers require a depth of technical knowledge to understand, and the prosecuting side ends up looking like it can't make the case.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #40
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
That's how it is pretty much everywhere.

Any sort of accident or damage gets handled as a civil case, not a criminal one. Police can only intervene directly at the criminal level and they have to see it themselves. It's no different than calling the police to say "I saw someone speeding and have proof."
What can be done in the case they drive off after hitting your car though? If you get their tags can you atleast try to sue them if you can identify them via their tags and you have video evidence?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #41
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
What can be done in the case they drive off after hitting your car though? If you get their tags can you atleast try to sue them if you can identify them via their tags and you have video evidence?
Whether they drive off or not, it's a civil matter case. Filing an insurance claim generally stays out of court so long as all parties agree who did what. If the actual at-fault party denies responsibility, it then ends up in court with the person that wasn't at fault suing the person that was.

The only thing the police do is cite for improper operation or whatever. They have to either witness it directly, or be able to draw that conclusion upon arriving at the scene...
Old 09-16-2021, 09:44 PM   #42
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

These days I'd be worried about getting pulled over by a rouge officer and the "footage" disappears. Courts will almost always side with the officer.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote