Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I hate my ZL-1 wheels

Love the car, had it about 4 months. I hate cleaning the wheels. OMG, the number of spokes the OE wheels have, the odd color (they are not black but a wierd color), and the brake dust.

I want a 5 spoke design that is the OE size and looks good.

Something whith a similar design to the Privat.
Attached Images

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #2
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Try the SS 1LE wheels, I liked those much better than my ZL1 Wheels, I've been thinking of buying a set of those and powdercoating gloss. They are the same specs as the regular ZL1 wheels.

MMR makes a replica https://wildhammermotorsports.com/16...oss-black-mrr/
Old 08-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #3
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Concur. I also hate the stock wheels. On my list, lol.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I know your pain trying to clean mine. It is a major pain in the ass but they look good after you’re done cleaning them but it doesn’t last long. Brake dust! Oh well, the prices we pay to own an awesome Camaro.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
How is it really that different than cleaning any other set of wheels on the ZL1? Any wheel you buy will get the same amount of brake dust showered onto it. The correct process for cleaning a wheel and tire requires the cleaning of the tire, caliper, barrel, lugs/brake hat/hub, and face of the wheel. No matter what the design of the wheel is, you'll still have all of those steps. The only step that gets shortened by a 5 spoke wheel is the last one; the face of the wheel. So what, maybe it takes 30 seconds instead of 1 minute. Is that worth it?

If it's purely design, preference is preference, so go ahead and purchase any set of wheels. But if it's a cleaning issue, make sure you're using the right products and processes. I can get each wheel spotless in 2-3 minutes per wheel. I use mostly Adam's products but almost any brand/store offers similar stuff.

Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:17 AM   #6
CW3SF

My issue is getting that lip behind each spoke clean. My fingers are too fat to fit in there and it takes me way longer than 2-3 min. Haven’t found a brush or tool that works to make it easier. I guess if you have little kid fingers it might be easy but not for me lol.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
Old 08-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #7
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Love the car, had it about 4 months. I hate cleaning the wheels. OMG, the number of spokes the OE wheels have, the odd color (they are not black but a wierd color), and the brake dust.

I want a 5 spoke design that is the OE size and looks good.

Something whith a similar design to the Privat.
If you track check out the ARC-8 wheels in the 1LE footprint. Have the wheels ceramic coated will help.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
My issue is getting that lip behind each spoke clean. My fingers are too fat to fit in there and it takes me way longer than 2-3 min. Haven’t found a brush or tool that works to make it easier. I guess if you have little kid fingers it might be easy but not for me lol.
I have big hands/fingers too, I like to use a microfiber rag (not one I care much about), put it through one spoke group at a time and use it like floss. Grab both ends of it and work back and forth.

Also, you can use a small wheel woolie or similar and if you use some pressure to cram it in there, it will get most of it. Angle it from an adjacent spoke hole.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
How is it really that different than cleaning any other set of wheels on the ZL1? Any wheel you buy will get the same amount of brake dust showered onto it. The correct process for cleaning a wheel and tire requires the cleaning of the tire, caliper, barrel, lugs/brake hat/hub, and face of the wheel. No matter what the design of the wheel is, you'll still have all of those steps. The only step that gets shortened by a 5 spoke wheel is the last one; the face of the wheel. So what, maybe it takes 30 seconds instead of 1 minute. Is that worth it?

If it's purely design, preference is preference, so go ahead and purchase any set of wheels. But if it's a cleaning issue, make sure you're using the right products and processes. I can get each wheel spotless in 2-3 minutes per wheel. I use mostly Adam's products but almost any brand/store offers similar stuff.
The extra time spent working around the ZL1 wheel contours and trying to squeeze hands through to reach the calipers is not fun for people with back and knee pain, even if it is only an extra minute per wheel. Cleaning wheels is the only part of the job I dread each time specifically because the ole body doesn't work they way it used to.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:24 AM   #10
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
The extra time spent working around the ZL1 wheel contours and trying to squeeze hands through to reach the calipers is not fun for people with back and knee pain, even if it is only an extra minute per wheel. Cleaning wheels is the only part of the job I dread each time specifically because the ole body doesn't work they way it used to.
Tried one of these?
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #11
CW3SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I have big hands/fingers too, I like to use a microfiber rag (not one I care much about), put it through one spoke group at a time and use it like floss. Grab both ends of it and work back and forth.

Also, you can use a small wheel woolie or similar and if you use some pressure to cram it in there, it will get most of it. Angle it from an adjacent spoke hole.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll give the floss method a try.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #12
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Biggest problem with the stock wheels imo is the weight.

Any issues with 19s aside from speedo issues? I like the ZLE wheels, too
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
The ZL1 wheels are a Pain in the Axx to clean, regardless of what you use or how you use it! And absolutely agree with Avalonandl, the color is atrocious! It is like someone who was deciding the color, changed their minds a number of times. Lets make them black, no wait, silver, no that is not good, gold, yea, gold, that is it......no that isn't going to work either. Lets just take all of those colors and mix them and call it hyper silver! Stupid! That is the one of the only things I hate about the car and they were changed shortly after I got it.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #14
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
I love the color of the stock ZL1 wheels. To each their own I suppose. That being said, I changed my wheels anyway because I wanted something different and went with Vossen HF-05s in Anthracite finish.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote