Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #71
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Nice. I just did Goodridge lines on my car. Excited to try them at the track this weekend.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 PM   #72
Tay

Drives: 1985 Oldsmobuick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWZL11LE View Post
I suggest you grab a beverage of your choice before you start reading, because this will be a long post.

I can be a little spoiled due to the cars I've owned and currently own, but I've recently started having love hate relationship with the ZLE and if you have read my new owner and six month update threads, you would know that my major complaint is the brake feel with the ZLE.

Add an extremely busy work schedule and the brakes being the low point for me, the poor ZLE was put aside and didn't get any seat time for the past 6 weeks.

Fast forward to last week Wednesday, I had some free time and decided to head to the track (PBIR) . Given that we would practically have the track to ourselves for 5 hours I invited Jaymes (@Junkyardspecial) to come out and play with his ZLE.

I had taken my GT4 that day since I was still broken up with my ZLE, and Jaymes brought his ZLE which he just had the brake fluid changed along with the track alignment set.

Since the last time I was on track with Jaymes, I know he had been back to PBIR, really improved on his already great driving, and was also getting closer and closer to my ZLE lap times on there. For the first few times we got on track, I sat shotgun with him to give him some more pointers. Then he was kind enough to let me drive his ZLE for a couple of laps because I wanted him to see the pointers that I was giving him from the passenger seat.

Not having driven my ZLE, I had forgotten how much of a monster a ZLE is; toxic power coupled with an extremely playful chassis. Mind you Jaymes's ZLE has long tubes, full exhaust and a tune. My love for the ZLE was ignited again, but even though his ZLE had the Motul RBF600 for the brake fluid, I still wasn't 100% happy with the brake pedal feel, especially under track conditions.

I had a good one hour drive home from PBIR that evening and it was enough time for me to start my master plan of getting back with my ZLE and giving it the gift of better brake feel.

Luckily I work and am friends with some of the best people in the motorsport world. When I got home, it was way too late our time, but it was business hours in Italy. I reached out to my good friends in Italy who manufacture the most cutting edge braking products to some of the Formula 1 and Formula 3 teams. I knew they make the brake lines for those machines and have a very special carbon fiber braided brake line that can withstand an astonishing 16,900psi minimum burst pressure rate (just for comparison a typical stainless steel brake line made by a reputable company is 4000psi). After a bit of pursuing, convinced them to make me brake lines for the ZLE. Yes, it did cost a bit of penny, because some of the brackets/fittings needed had to be ordered in bulk. They told me I was basically either going to end up with 1 kit, or 10 kits, but the total wouldn't change. Being the rational human being I am, I obviously opted to end up with 10 brake line kits.

Second part of the plan was to call my friends at Brembo to get me some of their magic HTC 64 brake fluid. I say magic because ask any motorsport team, the HTC 64 has the lowest compressibility numbers (which means more direct braking feel), and also even after being sustained to high temperatures repeatedly the pedal feels great. In short form, very low maintenance, no need to bleed the fluid after being subject to high temps to get the pedal feel back, which is normal with fluids like Castrol SRF and Motul RBF 600/660 etc...

I received everything on Thursday and was extremely excited to have the brake fluid flushed out to get the new lines and Brembo's jungle juice in there. Even though we had a major hurricane headed our way, and remembering that I am a rational human being, instead of getting prepared for the hurricane just like every other responsible human being, I decided to get my priorities straight and have the ZLE under the knife first thing on Friday morning.

As planned on Friday (yesterday), the ZLE was treated to new diff fluid, engine oil/filter, the carbon braided brake lines and the Brembo HTC64 brake fluid. I knew the brake feel would be dramatically improved but I was nervous because I love this car so much and I didn't want to be let down since I had high expectations.

When I took the ZLE for its first drive with the new hardware. When my right foot was on the loud pedal the surge of power and noise the ZLE made me grin, but when my foot shifted over to the brake pedal and I felt that crisp and firm brake pedal, my grin had just gotten even bigger. I was once again madly in love with my ZLE.

By the way, my gamble has paid off, because so far the hurricane has shifted its path, and is unlikely to head towards Miami. Planning on taking the ZLE to the track this upcoming Wednesday (if the weather cooperates.)

Excellent post SWZL11LE! Its so great you are getting these high quality carbon lines made.

Maybe I missed it, but what pads are you running?
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #73
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWZL11LE View Post
Everyone that has paid for a set of the carbon braided kits should have received a tracking number via email.

All have been shipped with FedEX 2-Day express service, and will be delivered by Thursday.

Still got 3 kits available.

Camaro SS 1LE variants will also be available for those interested by this Friday.
You still have ZL1 1LE kits? I thought all sold out.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #74
iwk2much

Drives: ZLI 1LE; 992 S; GLE 450, Denali HD
Any feedback from those who have installed this cf brake lines?

Last edited by iwk2much; 10-14-2019 at 11:49 AM.
iwk2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:05 AM   #75
Smithlink

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I installed the brake lines last weekend and they substantially improved the brake pedal feel. I also swapped the brake fluid over to Motul RBF 600. I used exactly 1.5L of brake fluid to do the full fluid change.

The whole install from putting the car on jack stands to putting it back on the ground took me about 3 hours by myself.
Attached Images

Smithlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #76
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Just installed mine yesterday and flushed in new fluid. Much sharper initial bite and less of a mush pedal. The Camaro had amazing brakes from the factory but my friend, the OP who has much more racing experience than I do, noticed the feel was not to his liking. I grew used to it but was excited to try these out when he talked to me about it.

I wait for the first track session with them. On the road they have a definite more confidence inspiring grab over OEM. Ill be swapping the the Brembo HTC64 eventually to see how far we can push these OEM pads.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #77
SWZL11LE

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Hey everyone, those who have tried to PM me regarding these brake lines should all have a reply, I apologize I've been away and just returned.

I got 10 more of these kits made while I was away, I should have them ready to ship by this upcoming wednesday. If anyone wants a set PM me please and I will get back to you asap.
SWZL11LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #78
SWZL11LE

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
Excellent post SWZL11LE! Its so great you are getting these high quality carbon lines made.

Maybe I missed it, but what pads are you running?

Still on stock pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
You still have ZL1 1LE kits? I thought all sold out.

We did 2 batches of them so far. Both batches sold out. 3rd batch arriving this Wednesday, still got a few left from those if you are interested.
SWZL11LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:26 PM   #79
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
Nice. I just did Goodridge lines on my car. Excited to try them at the track this weekend.

I was looking at Goodridge lines for my car too, how'd they feel on the track compared to stock lines?
Old 10-28-2019, 10:35 PM   #80
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I was looking at Goodridge lines for my car too, how'd they feel on the track compared to stock lines?
They seem a bit more solid. I'm no expert, but it seemed like an improvement They look very high quality
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #81
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
They seem a bit more solid. I'm no expert, but it seemed like an improvement They look very high quality

While it's obviously subjective, it doesn't sound like it was a night and day difference for you, thanks for the quick reply and your experience!
Old 10-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #82
Junkyardspecial

These lines will be a step up from goodridge in quality and performance, id say the SS lines are a good middle ground.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #83
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I received my lines today. They look amazing. I will install them as soon as the car returns from its Dealer experience.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)

Last edited by Stephen12ZL1; 10-29-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #84
Northtrack

I installed the carbon lines about a month ago and just completed the first track event with them, and I can say that the pedal feel is noticeable and improved - with stock pads and SRF. Absolutely no fade although pedal fade with the oem lines was minimal. Small sample size, but so far - for me at least - this has been a positive upgrade.
Northtrack is offline   Reply With Quote