Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-31-2020, 07:26 AM   #449
5inn

Drives: N/A
Finally feel like I'm clicking more with the car. This course I think featured the fastest section I've seen at this venue (Devens). Brushed the rev limiter into the 2nd slalom, which PDR showed as 79mph :o

Still would love a new set of SC3 but continue to be impressed with how they feel for their age and how they were seemingly not treated well in the cold by the PO. I think I finished 3rd in the pax class, about a tenth off Rachel B in her Cayman. Sadly coned away a 0.5s improvement by hitting one of the last cones on course. Fastest clean run:

Old 09-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #450
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
videos from this weekends events. Both days had a clean quick run, then a faster, mystery cone... oh well lol

day 2 tarted off wet, afternoon drying conditions. I always struggle to get to grips(pun intended) in drying conditions

#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #451
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Boeing Sports Car Club event in the St. Louis area yesterday. I think I managed to see a couple spots better than most competitors. Despite one clear mistake and another possible one, this run pulled me well ahead of everyone on pax except one national-level competitor in his Cayman GT4. I will add that I did all my runs with my 200lb son in the passenger seat!

Edit: somehow I pasted someone else's video into this post originally. Correction made, and apologies to whoever's video I accidentally stole!

Last edited by Msquared; 09-16-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #452
Ummpwr

Drives: Honda S2000
A friend told me last weekend that the ss 1le might go from Bs to Fs next year in autox. Anyone know if this might be true?

Thanks Eric
Ummpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:55 PM   #453
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummpwr View Post
A friend told me last weekend that the ss 1le might go from Bs to Fs next year in autox. Anyone know if this might be true?

Thanks Eric
It is a proposal being considered by SCCA Solo Events Board, yeah. They either need to do that or move the M2 and Supra up to AS. I wonder if we're going to have a moratorium on class moves this year since Nationals didn't happen. I hope not.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:48 PM   #454
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Just started to get into autocross this season, my 3rd (and last of the season) race was yesterday. I have a long ways to go to improve, but lots of fun. Our courses are shorter here up North. There's a G5 1LE that races in the series too. Most amazing thing for me is that I'm not hitting cones in this car! Every time I go a little faster I'm sure I'm going to hit some cones.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:32 AM   #455
apexit53

video from this weekends scca Toledo tour event. Had the lead going into day 2 by almost two tenths! struggled a little on day 2 to and was being too safe. ended up trying to lay down a flyer but it wasn't enough to begin the lead.

ended up second by .001 or about 2 inches over two days! lol
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #456
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
video from this weekends scca Toledo tour event. Had the lead going into day 2 by almost two tenths! struggled a little on day 2 to and was being too safe. ended up trying to lay down a flyer but it wasn't enough to begin the lead.

ended up second by .001 or about 2 inches over two days! lol
That's really impressive. It's also super impressive that you beat Sam Strano in his second-time's-a-charm 1LE.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #457
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
That's really impressive. It's also super impressive that you beat Sam Strano in his second-time's-a-charm 1LE.

I echo this, congrats Mike on a great weekend... super impressive drive!

Also, nice to see the tire wars, between Yok, Bridgestone and Goodyear!

Best regards,
Dave
Old 09-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #458
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
I echo this, congrats Mike on a great weekend... super impressive drive!

Also, nice to see the tire wars, between Yok, Bridgestone and Goodyear!

Best regards,
Dave

Thanks guys! It was nice to see Sam make the goodyear competitive. kinda shows it might be worth giving it a shot sometime!
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #459
AustinTXracer

Drives: 20 SS 1LE
Quick discussion on swaybars. Seems both front and rear OE SS 1LE bars are bonded bushing type. This means they do not rotate within their bushings and can actually contribute some spring rate to the chassis through the swaybar mounts. This effect is nothing at factory ride height, but it increases in both ways with suspension movement. When replacing these bushings with greased poly, you are actually reducing the effective spring rate at the wheels. I am curious how much the effect is, but I'm sure it is significant given the stock springs are not that stiff.

It is a curious thing that might be legal to adopt a bonded bushing type that can make the bushing spring rate even more stiff. Part B of the rules sort of covers that, but maybe not clearly:

13.7 ANTI-ROLL (SWAY) BARS
A. Substitution, addition, or removal of a single anti-roll bar and supporting hardware (brackets, endlinks, bushings, etc.) is permitted. The use of any bushing material is permitted. A bushing may be implemented as a bearing.
B. Substitution, addition, or removal of anti-roll bars may serve no other purpose than that of an anti-roll bar.
C. No modification to the body, frame, or other components to accommodate anti-roll bar addition or substitution is allowed except for the drilling of holes for mounting bolts. Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted.

Until I get a chance to measure the effect, I'll be sticking to the stock bars :P
Old 09-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #460
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I was considering a new rear bar but I'm probably going to go with a square 315/18 setup w/Falken 660s + the GM autox flash for the rear diff. I'd run in CAM-C instead of BS. I'd want to run that for a while before considering any other changes.

There's a '17 SS running 335 square Rivals, and the car is really quick! Nat'l champ driver helps a little too.

I'm getting tired of the slow warmup on the stock GYs, on a cool day it's impossible to get the tires anywhere close to competitive, and if it's under ~65F it's not even worth showing up. They do fine on a hot sunny day after a couple runs though.

Any experienced folks see an issue with that plan?
Old 09-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #461
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I was considering a new rear bar but I'm probably going to go with a square 315/18 setup w/Falken 660s + the GM autox flash for the rear diff. I'd run in CAM-C instead of BS. I'd want to run that for a while before considering any other changes.

There's a '17 SS running 335 square Rivals, and the car is really quick! Nat'l champ driver helps a little too.

I'm getting tired of the slow warmup on the stock GYs, on a cool day it's impossible to get the tires anywhere close to competitive, and if it's under ~65F it's not even worth showing up. They do fine on a hot sunny day after a couple runs though.

I constantly resist the urge to do cam.

I see no issues! lol

Id also look into STU!
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-22-2020, 08:07 PM   #462
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
I constantly resist the urge to do cam.
Ditto. I've made myself a full list of mods I'd want to do to the car if I made the jump to CAM, just to remind myself of how expensive it would be and how much less nice of a street car it would become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113

I think it's fine as far as it goes. I would be very tempted to run 18x12 wheels in back and go with 315/335 Rivals or 295/315 A052s (those tires are huge for their nominal size). Those Yoks won't take any time at all to heat up, but they may overheat pretty easily.

Other mods that would be at the top of my list are camber plates for the front (Vorshlag) and some kind of aftermarket toe link for the rear, both of which would allow more negative camber.