Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
Long distance purchase question

Due to COVID traveling 8+ hrs to see a car is incredibly difficult, so I was wondering if anyone had used a mobile service for car inspection? I'm more worried about checking the car out mechanically. Is there a service i can use to inspect the car or other suggestions? Thanks in advance

(2011 camaro with 15k)
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Unless it was wrecked not much could be wrong with a 15K mile car. Why not have the seller shoot a front to back top top to bottom inside and outside video first? Before you travel to see. If you decided to buy you would either have it shipped to you or travel to pick it up. Then you would have a great 8 hour road trip back home to enjoy the car .
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
There are businesses that specialize in pre-purchase inspection services but I've never used them. You could also contact an independent repair shop in the same city to look it over. That is what most of the inspection services likely do anyway.

I guess it depends o where you are on whether COVID causes any traveling problem. I drove from north Alabama to Orlando Florida in August to pick up a salvage car that I'm using to build a DF Goblin kit car. No problems getting there and back.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
roorback

I'm ok shipping back but committing 16hrs with work atm is all but impossible. Not really ready to fly yet either and to schedule 2 flights the same day isn't the easiest either. I've never bought a car sight unseen but I might have to. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
If you're looking at SS models why not just wait for one to become available locally? Plenty of them out there just be patient.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
roorback

I'm sort of looking for a unicorn, so I sort of have to move quickly when I find what fits in my criteria/budget.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quick Answer: I've used Lemon Squad in the past and had good luck with them: https://lemonsquad.com/

3 or 4 years ago ago when searching for a used truck I had a set price in mind and at the time I thought that finding a used crew cab V6 Colorado near my $$$ range that wasn't either a W/T model or really high mileage was going to be nearly impossible. Nothing near me within a decent driving distance was fitting my...admittedly...tight criteria. So I began looking at other models/makes. Fast forward a bit and I decided to expand my search to basically...anywhere in the continental U.S. Found a truck in Wisconsin on a GM dealer lot that was above my price range, but I noticed it showed it was sitting on the lot for a while so I clicked a button on the page...something about "notify me of price drops". Lone behold a sales guy called me up and offered me a heck of a deal. It actually shocked me. Told me he needed more sales lol.

Of course I was nervous to buy a truck sight-unseen. Anyone should be! So I did what I could from here; Carfax, GM maintenance history records, and then I found Lemon Squad. You give them the information on the vehicle you want looked at. A day or two later they have someone go look at it, test drive it, take lots of pictures, and they send you a fairly comprehensive report of anything they noticed in the way that it drives, and exterior or interior issues...down to minor paint chips (at least...my reviewer did).

I stretched my budget a bit more than I originally thought would, but bought the truck and shipped it here for less than the deals I could have worked around here on a similar Colorado with similar miles.

The service was around $100 to $125 at the time. I'd use them again if needed, but then again I hope I don't have to search that far again lol.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
If the car you're looking at is in the MSP area, I'll give it a look.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
roorback

thank you shibbs! It's located in NY though.

Thanks all for your advice.