#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #15
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig View Post
The problem with the Corvette for me and many of my contemporaries (45 year old GenXer here) is that the Corvette screams baby boomer crisis machine. THe Camaro is so much cooler and actually affordable for younger buyers. Even the ZR1 is a total beast and I could have afforded one, but I just cannot see myself in an old man's wet dream come true. I actually owned 2 Vipers before precisely because they weren't Corvettes. Don;t get me wrong, the Corvette is an insane performance machine but I get more comments and looks from the Camaro, especially from younger folks than my father ever got in his cheesy Corvettes and I ever got in my Vipers. I think the future is LT5 Camaro. I would keep my 18' ZL1 but if an LT5 Camaro comes out, instant trade! But I won't go Corvette. Chevy needs to pay attention to this buyer segment.
I’m gen x too, and this precisely sums up how I feel about the vette. It’s just got a ‘old man’ stigma to me. So I chose a viper and a zl1 instead. There’s never been a single moment in my life where I thought I wanted a vette.
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #16
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I don't see the LT5 going into the Camaro while the ZR-1 is still in production. IMO the LT5 is the grand send off to the C7 and will remain a Corvette exclusive. Now after the C8 is here, maybe but I think the LT5 will stay a Corvette exclusive.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #17
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
The problem with the Corvette for me and many of my contemporaries (45 year old GenXer here) is that the Corvette screams baby boomer crisis machine. THe Camaro is so much cooler and actually affordable for younger buyers. Even the ZR1 is a total beast and I could have afforded one, but I just cannot see myself in an old man's wet dream come true. I actually owned 2 Vipers before precisely because they weren't Corvettes. Don;t get me wrong, the Corvette is an insane performance machine but I get more comments and looks from the Camaro, especially from younger folks than my father ever got in his cheesy Corvettes and I ever got in my Vipers. I think the future is LT5 Camaro. I would keep my 18' ZL1 but if an LT5 Camaro comes out, instant trade! But I won't go Corvette. Chevy needs to pay attention to this buyer segment.
I take it you aren't a Corvette type? Corvette and "Old" don't fit because Old people can't get in or out of one. Camaro is kinda crampy too.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #18
Brettmess24

Drives: 17 C7 GS WGG
LT5 Camaro???

Quote:

I find the exact opposite in my experience and I’m 39...to me the ZL1 doesn’t even compare in the looks dept...and let’s not even start with the Camaro stigma!

I prefer the road course over a drag strip.

Also agree chevy will not put the LT5 in the Camaro while the ZR1 is being sold...unless they say F it all here is our Z28 answer to the GT500....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #19
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
They wont put the LT5 in Camaro, the 6th Gen is already set, and no more changes will occur. The 7th Gen ZL1 I Bet will get somewhere about a 600 HP NA engine with 200 HP electric assist. I would bet money on that.
Wrong.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #20
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
A ZL1 variant with the LT5 would be greatly welcomed and I'm sure it would be a big hit. But it's not going to happen, unfortunately.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #21
Squatch
Camaro pilot

Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
100% False.. time will tell. Revisit this after 2019 NY auto show. There will be a 700+hp Camaro.
100% about which, the LT5? I don't think so, the 7th Gen guess I could be as that's my guess, but like ToMuchHorsePower said, they are leaning toward smaller TT V8's. But Chevy has queried if people would buy a hybrid sports car so its a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
Wrong.
Which part...
Old 09-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #22
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
You know it's funny how a corvette, camaro, chevelle, etc in the late 60's early 1970's was special, 327, 350, 396, 454. It did not matter what they came with, everybody knew the LS6 was king ! Now if you don't own a corvette your a second class citizen ! The high hp cars will be worth something latter on, LS1, 2, 3, LSA, LS9 maybe even my LQ4 6.0 you know why ? Because big V8 days are numbered, I think why guys are arguing over more hp, it would be smarter to enjoy the pushrod sound before the OHV V6 twin turbo or single takes over. People will say remember the big LS ? I wished I would have kept mine !
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #23
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
anything is possible...the carbon ceramic brake 6th gen prototype was spotted with a shaker hood a few months ago in a parking lot. Who knows, that car could have had the LT5 under the hood. We shall see...
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #24
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
No offense but anybody who thought the LT4 wouldn't make it to the Camaro is a total moron. It only made sense to drop the middle-Vette engine into the high end Cadillac and Camaro. Then the halo ZR1 gets their LT5. They will not put the LT5 in the Camaro. If they do, they'd be not only adding a lot of cost to themselves and therefore the end MSRP but also making a car that will out-pace all Vettes except the C7 ZR1 and will do so at probably $80k or so, $60k less than a well specced ZR1. Besides monetary problems, they won't do it on the grounds of having a Camaro equally as powerful as the top line Vette. Corvettes need to be made faster that way the Camaro can be upgraded as well. It goes in proportion.
No offense amigo & color me moron... Look, my point was that MANY MANY folks said the Camaro would NEVER EVER receive the same top shelf flagship power plant of the Vette for the same reasons you stated. If you had told me not all that long ago that I would be in Camaro that stickers at $68k, I would have lost a bet.

Look, I agree the vette has to be king for GM & I'm very curious to see what they are going to put in the mid-engine & sure it will be a home run. This leads me to believe that a LT5 in a gen7 Camaro is very plausible. I'm thinking the bigger blower & cam are substantially more vs the LT4, but the main cost driver is likely the hand assembly. Increased production volume drives component costs down & assembling the LT5 in a production setting does the same.

If it happens, it happens & I'll likely be a player unless the aesthetics aren't my taste. If not, by that time I'll be ready to mod the 17...either way I win. Plus, I've always been an optimist.

I'm just not ready to dismiss the opportunity & doubt asking Al would would bring any fruit as it won't be soon.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #25
Romans9

Drives: C7 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
That's a very opinionated opinion. I think with the C7 Corvette, the Corvette crowd got much younger. I see lots of 20-somethings driving C7 Corvettes around even if it was a stretch for them to afford it. Maybe it's the area I'm in but I don't think it's "an old man's wet dream" - that would definitely be a C4, C5 or maybe C2 Corvette. A C6 Z06/ZR1 or C7 car is definitely no old mans car.
Agreed. 29 here, love my ZL1 but could easily see myself in a Z06 if I didn't have a Raptor and some other significant expenses. C7 greatly reduced the old-man stigma for me.
Romans9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #26
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans9 View Post
Agreed. 29 here, love my ZL1 but could easily see myself in a Z06 if I didn't have a Raptor and some other significant expenses. C7 greatly reduced the old-man stigma for me.
I'll be 49 soon & tried to like the Z06. It's kinda hard to explain, but seems like one either digs the vibe when you get in or don't. After looking at the Z06, I climbed in an SS & knew the vette wasn't for me & the search continued.

I actually tried to buy a GT350R before I found out about the ZL1 but was really lucky that no dealer would sell at sticker.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #27
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
I'm 29 as well, and personally I much prefer the look of the ZL1 over the Vette. Not that I dislike the Vette, I just really REALLY love the look of the ZL1. Best looking car GM currently has out. Can't really say why, the look just does it for me.

Maybe once the mid engine Corvettes come out, the engine restrictions for the Camaro will be lifted since the Vette configuration will be totally different.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #28
Brettmess24

Drives: 17 C7 GS WGG
I don’t know why anyone goes on about what motor GM won’t put in the Camaro already been there done that! It’s a win win for everyone!

The fact is that the Camaro couldn’t handle as well as the Corvette and until the Gen6 there was a vast difference, two seater vs four seat will always be a weight advantage for the corvette. However the ZL1 LE puts it all together for close to Z06 price and more than a Grand Sport. The ZL1 is just flat out awesome.

Excellent options that no other manufacture can match in price and performance. Great time to buy a chevy Performance car.

It makes sense for GM to produce engines that can be used in multiple platforms but I think our days of the 6.2L are numbered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote