Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 09-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #281
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Moving to a FPC isn't merely just "switching" out the CPC to a FPC and then calling it the day. The other engine components were re-engineered as well.... including all the way down to the exhaust portion. All due to the new characteristics as well as balance & harmonic vibration challenges. The 32V CNC'd heads also have to cope with enormous stress during >8000-rpm blasts and was reported as perhaps the greatest challenge for the engineers at Ford Performance.

Agree or not... in short, this is definitely not the norm for domestic high performance cars. This is literally an American automaker's avante-garde approach.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #282
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
The Voodoo is the highest displacement FPC built and used in a sports car. Technically Ford did the exact same thing Chevy did, put out their existing V8 to the largest bore size they can and make the valve-train as lightweight as possible to promote high RPM. So really the only thing innovative is the use of FPC.

Agree on the wheels being a first for a mass production car and will probably set a new trend.

Like I said before, definitely innovative, but Ford really used the same formula everyone else does, lighter weight, more power, better suspension design. Not breaking new ground just pushing the envelope to new levels.
I think you're misinterpreting what I meant by, "formula." Obviously less weight, more power, and better suspension is how a sports car progresses in general. The variables to get there are what they did differently.

Being the highest displacement FPC engine doesn't make it high displacement relative to the pony cars of late. The top tier Mustangs and Camaros have been going bigger displacement or forced induction (or both) for years now. GT500 was 5.4, then 5.8 with blower, ZL1 6.2 with a blower, Z28 7.0. Ford took a different approach, one not typical of the pony cars, with the GT350. High revving, lower torque, FPC. It may not be wildly innovative, but it's a pretty big change of direction as far as pony car powerplants go.

5 years ago if you showed the specs of this engine to any auto enthusiast and asked what manufacturer was using it, the American companies would be at the bottom of the list. Innovation? Not really. Big change? Absolutely. The carbon fiber wheels are, like you said, a first. Just an example of how they took a different approach to the same goal with this car.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #283
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Like I said before, definitely innovative, but Ford really used the same formula everyone else does, lighter weight, more power, better suspension design.

---------------------------------------

Ummm......

Less weight
More power
Better suspension

You call it just following a formula..

I'd call it

Just about theonly ****ing options there are

ITS A CAR...IT STILL NEEDS 4 WHEELS AND AT LEAST 2 DOORS AND A PAIR OF SEATS

Just about everythingis unjque and improved over the GT... blah... still did what chevy did

Jesus H christ people (aka one person) pull your head out of your ass...

If the GT350 is just ford copying a z/28.. then a z/28 is just ford copying a boss or 00 Cobra R...and hell.. theyre just copying 60s era trans am cars..

And tbeyre just copying 40s performance coupes

And theyre just copying people trying to breed horses
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #284
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Moving to a FPC isn't merely just "switching" out the CPC to a FPC and then calling it the day. The other engine components were re-engineered as well.... including all the way down to the exhaust portion. All due to the new characteristics as well as balance & harmonic vibration challenges. The 32V CNC'd heads also have to cope with enormous stress during >8000-rpm blasts and was reported as perhaps the greatest challenge for the engineers at Ford Performance.

Agree or not... in short, this is definitely not the norm for domestic high performance cars. This is literally an American automaker's avante-garde approach.
You're right. My wording was too simple. The switch over to FPC was not just as simple as dropping it in. While Ford didn't break any ground in application, they are the first domestic to build one and to build the largest displacement one is not an easy feat. However I don't think we should in awe of firsts for domestics unless it's the first time we have beat the Germans or Italians at their own game

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
I think you're misinterpreting what I meant by, "formula." Obviously less weight, more power, and better suspension is how a sports car progresses in general. The variables to get there are what they did differently.

Being the highest displacement FPC engine doesn't make it high displacement relative to the pony cars of late. The top tier Mustangs and Camaros have been going bigger displacement or forced induction (or both) for years now. GT500 was 5.4, then 5.8 with blower, ZL1 6.2 with a blower, Z28 7.0. Ford took a different approach, one not typical of the pony cars, with the GT350. High revving, lower torque, FPC. It may not be wildly innovative, but it's a pretty big change of direction as far as pony car powerplants go.

5 years ago if you showed the specs of this engine to any auto enthusiast and asked what manufacturer was using it, the American companies would be at the bottom of the list. Innovation? Not really. Big change? Absolutely. The carbon fiber wheels are, like you said, a first. Just an example of how they took a different approach to the same goal with this car.
I think you are confusing yourself. The ZL1, GT500 and Hellcat are not purpose built track/handling cars. The Z/28 and GT350 exist in that class alone. Both use NA motors. Don't forget the GT500 and ZL1 existed before the Z/28 helped invent this new domestic segment (or the BOSS 302 LS at least). So technically GM broke the trend of FI into hi-po pony cars. Ford responded in the same vein by upping the ante. There will be a FI induction GT500 and most likely a ZL1. So nothing has changed other than Ford has built a true competitor.

Maybe you were trying to make a point about the ZO6 going FI, but to that the answer is simple...look at it's competition now. There are very few cars in that class still NA. The ones that are probably won't last another couple of years because of CAFE or they are essentially pure track toys like the Mosler cars.

I definitely agree with the last statement. Hell 5 years ago no one would think there would be a 700HP Dodge roaming the streets. This is definitely the new golden age of the pony/muscle car.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #285
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
You're right. My wording was too simple. The switch over to FPC was not just as simple as dropping it in. While Ford didn't break any ground in application, they are the first domestic to build one and to build the largest displacement one is not an easy feat. However I don't think we should in awe of firsts for domestics unless it's the first time we have beat the Germans or Italians at their own game

I think you are confusing yourself. The ZL1, GT500 and Hellcat are not purpose built track/handling cars. The Z/28 and GT350 exist in that class alone. Both use NA motors. Don't forget the GT500 and ZL1 existed before the Z/28 helped invent this new domestic segment (or the BOSS 302 LS at least). So technically GM broke the trend of FI into hi-po pony cars. Ford responded in the same vein by upping the ante. There will be a FI induction GT500 and most likely a ZL1. So nothing has changed other than Ford has built a true competitor.

Maybe you were trying to make a point about the ZO6 going FI, but to that the answer is simple...look at it's competition now. There are very few cars in that class still NA. The ones that are probably won't last another couple of years because of CAFE or they are essentially pure track toys like the Mosler cars.

I definitely agree with the last statement. Hell 5 years ago no one would think there would be a 700HP Dodge roaming the streets. This is definitely the new golden age of the pony/muscle car.

I only wish this sub segment of pony cars took off a lot earlier. If it had after the '88-'02? 1LE's and '93 '95 & '00 Cobra R's, imagine what we'd have access to now.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #286
Stingray
just can't get enough

Quote:
Actually we should be in awe... also because the good ole USA did so w/o the consumer spending 6-figures for one.

Touche at a fraction of others' costs....

And the GT350's FPC powerplant emits an awesome SuperSound to back it up...
Old 09-12-2015, 11:56 PM   #287
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Actually we should be in awe... also because the good ole USA did so w/o the consumer spending 6-figures for one.

Touche at a fraction of others' costs....

And the GT350's FPC powerplant emits an awesome SuperSound to back it up...
Actually we have been doing that for awhile. Corvette, Viper, 1LE, ZL1, GT500, Z/28, and now GT350. It's very American to outperform six figure cars for less than six figures now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Old 09-13-2015, 12:12 AM   #288
Stingray
just can't get enough

Quote:
Actually we have been doing that for awhile. Corvette, Viper, 1LE, ZL1, GT500, Z/28, and now GT350. It's very American to outperform six figure cars for less than six figures now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Agree... however none of those have a FPC which is what the key point is on this topic. To get another high performance car with an FPC and all its engineering plus bespoke components... we'll have to shop for a well-endowed German beauty or an Italian exotic.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #289
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
This car seems to have a lot of hype around it. Mostly due to exclusivity factor and sex appeal. I already have seen one in red with black stripes. Very sexy car in person, and performance wise offers nice balance for the price. If I wanted a track car, or the two factors I mentioned I'd get it. But if I was shopping for a mustang I'd just go with standard gt for less hardcore feel. I do not understand what the hype is over, and no it won't beat a GT3. I also woudn't go for a 6th gen Z28 unless I would be using either the cars for their purposes.

Mustang has more of a sex appeal, Camaro favors performance/prestige(SS badge). Daddy 6th gen SS will wreck competition on the streets, and will look very mean blacked out. Can't wait for the magazine reviews, lol.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #290
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
I wish Shelby, and being an SVT product had the prestige and sex appeal of an SS badge.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #291
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
I wish Shelby, and being an SVT product had the prestige and sex appeal of an SS badge.
I'm not impressed by your reading comprehension, I was comparing SS to GT. Those go up against each other, not the higher trim Shelby V8. If you don't like what's being said leave and go back to your mustang forums.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #292
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
This car seems to have a lot of hype around it. Mostly due to exclusivity factor and sex appeal. I already have seen one in red with black stripes. Very sexy car in person, and performance wise offers nice balance for the price. If I wanted a track car, or the two factors I mentioned I'd get it. But if I was shopping for a mustang I'd just go with standard gt for less hardcore feel. I do not understand what the hype is over, and no it won't beat a GT3. I also woudn't go for a 6th gen Z28 unless I would be using either the cars for their purposes.

Mustang has more of a sex appeal, Camaro favors performance/prestige(SS badge). Daddy 6th gen SS will wreck competition on the streets, and will look very mean blacked out. Can't wait for the magazine reviews, lol.
Quote:
I'm not impressed by your reading comprehension, I was comparing SS to GT. Those go up against each other, not the higher trim Shelby V8. If you don't like what's being said leave and go back to your mustang forums.
In all honesty, I thought you were talking about the GT350 as well when you said "This car."
Old 09-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #293
SuperSound

Quote:
Where exactly were you talking about the SS to GT? Certainly not in the first 6 sentences of your post.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #294
RagingHawk

I thought I made it clear by explaining in the post that I would go with GT rather GT350 since I don't need track purposed vehicle. And I was comparing SS to the Mustang rival(GT). I wouldn't make illogical comparison of GT350 and SS(base camaro V8).