Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Phastek Performance

Old 09-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Clean windows before tint job?

Should I try to clean the windows, especially the rear, before I take it to get the tint installed?
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Let them handle it.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yea if they dont clean it first there a shitty shop lol

still no idea how they tinted the rear btw but oh well ! not my problem lol
kropscamaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #4
Com69
Banned

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6M Nightfall Gray
I cleaned mine before I went, but they did it again. I watched them do it and still am amazed at the awesome job they did on the back window. They have some interesting tools in their arsenal.
Com69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
I wish you could get factory dark glass as an option on cars like it already comes on SUV's and minivans. Would be amazing to just get the front doors tinted to match and throw some Air 80 on the windshield.

I for one would always buy a car with dark glass that didn't have the hairline of tint around the edge. Who cares if it is only 35%, that is perfectly acceptable.

As for washing your windows. Don't do it right before and if you do, let the installer know what you used and how long ago. You don't want residue on the glass when they go to apply. It will take a couple months, but if they didn't get your chemicals off, you could cause a reaction with the film. Once you have the tint, just some very mild soapy water in a spray bottle is all you should use to clean the inside of your glass. A few drops of Dawn to a 24oz bottle of distilled water should be about right.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
as said above, any shop worth going to, is gonna make sure whatever you have used in the past is off the glass. any reputable shop will clean and dry the glass before they start.

its kinda like a hospital. you'd prob wanna stay away from the ones that don't clean the area they're about to do surgery on.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thanks, I have not cleaned the inside rear window since I got it. It definitely needs it. Installer said they have done 5 new Camaros so far and said the rear window is a PITA.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:13 AM   #8
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
Thanks, I have not cleaned the inside rear window since I got it. It definitely needs it. Installer said they have done 5 new Camaros so far and said the rear window is a PITA.
Don't believe him. He's just saying that to ask a higher price. Everything but a hatchback has something to it that can be a challenge to someone that isn't an experience professional. This sure beats the 4th gen Camaro. It was hard back then to find installers that had wide enough rolls to get the back glass in 1 piece.

As for the 5th & 6th gen back glass, a large/wide squeegee is used to set the top and then slides toward the back/bottom. The size is computer cut beforehand so there is no trimming required. They set the film gently, adjust, then firm set the film and work the bubbles.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote