Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #1
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
superchargers wheel, twisted roots, Lhysholm???

I've run Vortech, Paxton and Powerdyne for years, well I'm still running the Powerdyne on the Challenger. These are wheeled superchargers and behave like a belt driven turbo, which they are. There is "lag". For instance my Powerdyne does not make peak boost till 6500 RPM, just before I shift, I should extend the engine RPM to 7000 but I'm lazy. At 2300 there is NO boost. I have the standard and the upgraded CNC billet wheel which basically puts the Powerdyne on par with any other wheeled supercharger.

billet wheel:
http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...h_impeller.php

There is a new wheeled player in the Honda world: Rotex and this is kind of like the old Paxton ballbearing drive. I ran one on my 2015 Honda with no complaints. Still a wheel based supercharger. The difference between them all is the drive. Powerdyne is a belt and they last like 50,000 miles and $800 for rebuild, the rest have gone to oil, either internal or external feed. I don't know anyone with long term internal oil superchargers so I can't speculate one way or the other. One can even buy a Powerdyne knockoff CNC with gears and oil bath.

The wheeled superchargers especially the billet wheels were known for good low temp boost above 8 or 9 PSI. This may not be true anymore as the TVS gas really upped the lobe game with Lysholm like 2.0 PR or 15 PSI. I don't have any experience with high boost wheeled superchargers but Vortech clearly list them:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/scspecsheet.php

Nutshell the lobe superchargers are players to 15 PSI or so now.

Next is the Lysholm, luv the supercharger, it was for many years the most efficient lobe supercharger. Candy Whipple provides great service and these are great kits for the GM. Had one on my DD Chevy Truck, was wonderful.

Eaton, OEM on everything, my buds Jackson Racing supercharger has 225,000 miles on a CRV. GM put these on 3.8 and Cobalts etc, Ford had it on the thunderbirds. Last a long time, good for low boost, boost right off idle. Eaton has slowly improved the design and now there is the TVS. So which is better?

http://www.musclecarmodfather.com/fo...wer-efficiency

Really about the same, I still luv the Lysholm. Note the Eaton is not for just low boost anymore as shown in the cart and stated above.

There are other players that use Lysholms, such as Sprintex for the Jeep world. I don't know of any other company besides Easton still building and improving lobe based supercharger.

These are just my back yard brokanic recollections of many decades.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote