Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 09-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #15
RKeeton

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Saturday and Sunday, September 4th and 5th is the Pro Solo Finale.

Monday has no competition runs. Lots of people walking the courses for Nationals.

Tuesday through Friday, September 7th to the 10th are the competition days for the Solo Nationals.

scca.com/pages/autocross is the web link for all things autocross.
RKeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:45 PM   #16
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTXracer View Post
Any requests for Texas beer for the beer exchange?
I'm originally from Houston, and when I think of Texas beer, I think of Shiner. Any variety, but the more German/Czech the better. When/where is said beer exchange? Shockingly, it is not on the official schedule of activities!
Old 09-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #17
AustinTXracer

Drives: 20 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I'm originally from Houston, and when I think of Texas beer, I think of Shiner. Any variety, but the more German/Czech the better. When/where is said beer exchange? Shockingly, it is not on the official schedule of activities!
I am already here, bit Texas has plenty of good beer that isn’t Shiner

The beer exchange is unofficial of course, but it is in facebook if you wanna look for it
Old 09-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #18
AustinTXracer

Man, I did not expect to be actually in the hunt for the pro finale win, but having a great time here! That Marcus guy can wheel that Supra!
Old 09-04-2021, 10:48 PM   #19
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Man, I did not expect to be actually in the hunt for the pro finale win, but having a great time here! That Marcus guy can wheel that Supra!

Yeah, Dave designs many of the courses here in the CFL (Orlando) region. He can wheel anything he drives. He won Nats in the Model3 a couple years back.

Really nice guy. He and his wife are running OLOA next year.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:22 PM   #20
conemark

Drives: Boost Coupe Stewie formerly '01 Z28
Quote:
Good going! Keep it up into Sunday!
conemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:47 PM   #21
AustinTXracer

Lost a spot today, just didn’t hit my marks often enough, but a podium is good enough for me. Ready for the big yeehaw courses for nationals!
Old 09-05-2021, 11:46 PM   #22
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Lost a spot today, just didn’t hit my marks often enough, but a podium is good enough for me. Ready for the big yeehaw courses for nationals!
I kind of got to see some your runs both days and they looked pretty solid. Too bad Kessel whiskered in front of you this morning, but great driving!

Kevin and I drove like crap this weekend. I couldn't get my eyes to the right places at the right times at all and everything fell apart from there. Looking at data and video tonight, we were both more of a mess than we thought (Looks like dropped about 40 PAX positions today ). OTOH, piecing things together, looks like the times were in the car...just couldn't get them out. Consolation prizes for us...Kevin left the longest strips of rubber from the left side start on Saturday. He also had the longest strips on the right until I left longer ones with last right side this morning.

Onward to Tuesday!
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:57 PM   #23
conemark

So far, overall a good time is being had despite what the clock says. Much like Clyde & Kevin, I couldn't get my eyes, hands and feet to work together in S5. After yesterday's morning runs, I managed to be the King of D-Street, but that's just me trying to feel better. Today, was a crap fest of driving, proving that making an idiot proof course finish only provides opportunity to make a better idiot :P

D-Street runs Thursday/Friday with Brad Walker, myself and Des Toupes running with a huge collection of uber hot-hatches.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:39 AM   #24
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by conemark View Post
So far, overall a good time is being had despite what the clock says.
That would definitely sum up my first-ever Nationals experience. I really liked both course and had no trouble seeing then...which doesn't mean they were easy to drive fast. I really blew what would have been a much-improved third run Tuesday by over-cooking one spot and hitting cones. I drove a little better on Wednesday, but national-level competition is just in a whole different league. John and Clyde, sorry I didn't get to come over and say hi. There was a lot going on the past couple of days!
Old 09-11-2021, 09:58 PM   #25
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
That would definitely sum up my first-ever Nationals experience. I really liked both course and had no trouble seeing then...which doesn't mean they were easy to drive fast. I really blew what would have been a much-improved third run Tuesday by over-cooking one spot and hitting cones. I drove a little better on Wednesday, but national-level competition is just in a whole different league. John and Clyde, sorry I didn't get to come over and say hi. There was a lot going on the past couple of days!
No worries, Matt! Next time! For as much time as we're out there, you only spend so much time in proximity to people you aren't paddocked with.

After the Pro, I got my head back on straight on the test and tune course Monday. My best scratch times were first runs both Tuesday and Wednesday, but they were also both dirty. Made some bonehead errors on all subsequent runs and turned slower scratches, but even so, I was pretty happy with results and how they came about.

Like you said, nationals competition makes it different than just another autocross. I had what was probably my best mental attitude towards the whole event as I've ever had and turned in the best two-day driving I've ever done there (or in Topeka). I thought both courses were way too much fun and neither one really favored or worked against any of the BS cars.

As a bonus, I made it to the second elimination round in the CAM Challenge after nearly leaving grid after round one when it initially sounded like John had edged me out for the final spot by 0.006 seconds.

Kevin had a harder time, especially on Wednesday. Run two, he must have turned on cruise control, because TC/ESC re-enabled itself between the entry to the slalom and the end of it. On run 3, he ran it in Snow/Ice mode. He did well in the CAM Challenge other than coning out in the first elimination round and was happy enough that our drive home wasn't awkward.

FWIW, I drove out to Lincoln towing a Leroy Engineering tire trailer caravaning with John Vitamvas who was towing his RX-8 with a decent sized wing. I stayed close, but wasn't really drafting like I've done before. Consistent speed about 78 MPH and saw 24.5 MPG (hand calculated and adjusted for tire size). Same speeds on the way home without JV, 21.0 MPG. For the 400 mile trips to Bristol and Toledo in July, we saw just under 23 MPG at 74 MPH on our own.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #26
AustinTXracer

Hope everyone made it home safely! Such mixed results for me. Good at the pro, bad at nats, then good again at the CAM challenge. First run at nats kinda knocked me off my game - the car once again went out with the ediff fully disabled. The video is forthcoming, but it is hilarious how bad the car is at accelerating when the diff goes fully open. Can't even go dead straight without the car spinning one tire or the other. PDR also did the 'no SD card' thing a few separate times.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:08 PM   #27
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Made it home Friday night. 3150 miles round trip averaging 7.9mpg. First time at Nationals and first time on concrete. It was quite an experience. Wished I could have done better (23rd) but really cemented my 'mid pack national driver' status. My co driver got 12th in CAM-C in a seriously underprepared car (18" wheels, camber plates, & eDif tune). Lots of learning this year.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:58 PM   #28
conemark

Finally back, unloaded and equipment returned. D-Street was equally as large a class as B-Street and our results thankfully weren't entirely in the basement, but close. After a laughable weekend at the Pro Solo Finale in S5, I was pretty much a "first run wonder" on both Thursday and Friday.

Congratulations to Mike Leeder (apexit53) for the P2 finish in B-Street, ahead of a couple of multi-time previous National Champions. While it was hard to organize a photo, it was nice to see the cars and faces of some of you who post here.