Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
MooseGoose

Drives: Chevy camaro
How do I figure out what mods are on my ZL1

Okay ladies and gents, I have a Camaro ZL1 I scored for a great price…it definitely has a cam but the seller claimed it had head work completed too: LME heads, ported bronze valve guides, 5 axis CNC porting, competition valve job, severe duty exhaust valves, LME dual valve springs.

How do I verify if it has aftermarket heads?

Supposedly the supercharger was ported and a 103mm throttle body added….not sure on that either.

Car made 660whp on pump 93 and 530whp stock on 93.

Let the guessing or schooling begin….thanks,
MooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:05 PM   #2
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseGoose View Post
Okay ladies and gents, I have a Camaro ZL1 I scored for a great price…it definitely has a cam but the seller claimed it had head work completed too: LME heads, ported bronze valve guides, 5 axis CNC porting, competition valve job, severe duty exhaust valves, LME dual valve springs.

Supposedly the supercharger was ported and a 103mm throttle body added….not sure on that either.

Unless you want to pull the SC, start by pulling a valve cover and posting pics and of entire engine. An aftermarket TB will be easy to spot.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #3
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Well if it was stock dyno 530 and now has cam, heads, and ported blower it should be more like 720whp+.

For reference I made 612whp on a mustang dyno with headers, 9.1 pulley and intake. Adding 103 TB, ported SC, cam and meth I made 780whp on the same dyno.

I would say, no you don’t have a cam installed. Also look at the TB and you can easily tell if it’s a 103. If so then most likely ported. How does the car sound? How does it drive off idle. That’s another clear way to see if cam or not.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:40 PM   #4
MooseGoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Well if it was stock dyno 530 and now has cam, heads, and ported blower it should be more like 720whp+.

For reference I made 612whp on a mustang dyno with headers, 9.1 pulley and intake. Adding 103 TB, ported SC, cam and meth I made 780whp on the same dyno.

I would say, no you don’t have a cam installed. Also look at the TB and you can easily tell if it’s a 103. If so then most likely ported. How does the car sound? How does it drive off idle. That’s another clear way to see if cam or not.
Oh it definitely has a cam. The lope there 1000%. I’m most curious about the heads and ported SC. Keep in mind I’m on pump 93….I would think the numbers would be higher too.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:

Its possible to make 660whp with those mods assuming the supercharger and crank pullies are stock and it the car has headers.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:58 PM   #6
MooseGoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Its possible to make 660whp with those mods assuming the supercharger and crank pullies are stock and it the car has headers.
Has aftermarket headers. Previous owner says it’s a 15% overdrive pulley??
Old 06-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #7
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Has aftermarket headers. Previous owner says it’s a 15% overdrive pulley??
OK, if it has a 15% pulley too then those numbers seem REALLY low.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #8
MooseGoose

Maybe the compression sucks in one of the cylinders or multiple. Could be losing horsepower

I think I’ll try to get it on a dyno. When a shop dyno’s the car can they get read outs for thing like fuel pressure and compression ratios?

Last edited by MooseGoose; 06-14-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:10 AM   #9
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Ask the PO who did the work and call up that shop and talk to them or ask for email receipts. I can't believe the OP didn't have any documentation on the build for you.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
MooseGoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
Ask the PO who did the work and call up that shop and talk to them or ask for email receipts. I can't believe the OP didn't have any documentation on the build for you.
Well this is where it gets interesting. Car was built by a shop that’s no longer in business. Owner has receipts for over 15k I in work….however one of the items is a low side fuel system and I see no evidence under the passenger side of the car of fuel lines being run to the tank…shouldn’t I be able to see it?

So now I start to wonder what’s ACTUALLY been done to the car other than the obvious intake, pulley, cam and flex fuel kit….

Not sure why someone would add a flex fuel kit on this car with a cam without a fuel system upgrade…
Old 06-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #11
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Power seems low with those mods and I'm not really up on all of that stuff myself, 660whp seems low.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #12
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
The car could have a JMS voltage booster on the low side. You wouldn't see any evidence of that by looking under the car. If you have a cam, it almost certainly has a 32 or 38% hpfp lobe. You can easily run e60 with a cam and JMS.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:13 AM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
So now I start to wonder what’s ACTUALLY been done to the car other than the obvious intake, pulley, cam and flex fuel kit….

Not sure why someone would add a flex fuel kit on this car with a cam without a fuel system upgrade…
At +100 hp, a "Low side fuel system" may be just a JMS booster or similar (often installed on the left side of the trunk IIRC). Bigger fuel lines are not needed at only +100. Example of what to look for:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553575

See also:
https://jannettyracing.com/products/...015-camaro-zl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
The car could have a JMS voltage booster on the low side. You wouldn't see any evidence of that by looking under the car. If you have a cam, it almost certainly has a 32 or 38% hpfp lobe. You can easily run e60 with a cam and JMS.
Exactly.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #14
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Well this is where it gets interesting. Car was built by a shop that’s no longer in business. Owner has receipts for over 15k I in work….however one of the items is a low side fuel system and I see no evidence under the passenger side of the car of fuel lines being run to the tank…shouldn’t I be able to see it?

There seems to be a lot of missing info that adds up to significant unknowns that can be dangerous with a car like this. With so much power and boost, an improperly modified ZL1 motor can be like a ticking time bomb. You need to find a great shop and have them look it over carefully.

You should call LME and share the VIN or previous owners name, if they built the head they should give you some info.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote