#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #29
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
How far back do/did they check for overrevs? If you buy a used car and 10k miles later your motor blows on track are you out the 10k for a new motor?
I had a Chevy dealership check for over revs as part of my pre purchase inspection since the car was pre-owned and they didn't mention a limit to how far back the check goes. I assume it goes all of the way back to when the car was new...it wouldn't take up much storage space.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #30
IntegraR0064

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
yeah they didn't specifically tell me how far back they looked for overrevs but I assume it's a binary that once it gets overreved it stores that forever. So might make sense to have a dealer check it if you're buying used and will be tracking the car.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #31
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
The dealership was able to confirm that the car's warranty was valid from the overrev check and visual inspection (and probably also from checking notes/service history in their system). I would highly recommend having this checked with passing being a condition of purchase for anyone buying a used manual car.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #32
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
The dealership was able to confirm that the car's warranty was valid from the overrev check and visual inspection (and probably also from checking notes/service history in their system). I would highly recommend having this checked with passing being a condition of purchase for anyone buying a used manual car.
I have a friend that went over by about 700 rpm on track one time on a downshift but we both count on our warranties for track usage so that's interesting.

Wonder if the motor blew 10-15K miles later if they would deny coverage just for that.

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:00 PM   #33
cre8fun

Drives: audi R8; ss 1le; F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
I have a friend that went over by about 700 rpm on track one time on a downshift but we both count on our warranties for track usage so that's interesting.

Wonder if the motor blew 10-15K miles later if they would deny coverage just for that.
I wonder that also. had a friend overrev his c7 ZR1. a while later while at the dealer, he asked his mechanic if he could see it. the mechanic said they can only see the last five ignition cycles. seems like a short memory and I don't know if the same applies for ours.

Sadly, my motor let go this past weekend at VIR, so I'll start this process with the dealer this week. ('21 SS 1LE with 8K on it).
cre8fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:24 PM   #34
cre8fun

Drives: audi R8; ss 1le; F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8fun View Post

Sadly, my motor let go this past weekend at VIR, so I'll start this process with the dealer this week. ('21 SS 1LE with 8K on it).
Glad to report 2 weeks in and out, dealer replaced the motor, no drama. I will say, it was very useful to talk with the service director ahead of time. I talked with one at a different Chevy dealer, she was concerned that track usage would void it. she called her GM district manager who flat out told her "no, it's not covered." scary.

went to another dealer, talked with the service director who said, "if you've not changed the ECU, it's covered." dropped the car there, 2 hours later they had cleared the ECU with GM and a new motor was on order.

Amazing the variability within the same state.

BTW - When I left I asked if there was any published "required" break in for the motor and got blank stares. I know the manual says 1200 miles for a completely new car. anyone see any print specifying break in for a new motor?
cre8fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:41 AM   #35
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I now have 2 friends with SS 1LEs that had motors let go at COTA. One was a 17 and the other a 19. Replaced with no issues.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:01 AM   #36
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Glad to report 2 weeks in and out, dealer replaced the motor, no drama. I will say, it was very useful to talk with the service director ahead of time. I talked with one at a different Chevy dealer, she was concerned that track usage would void it. she called her GM district manager who flat out told her "no, it's not covered." scary.

went to another dealer, talked with the service director who said, "if you've not changed the ECU, it's covered." dropped the car there, 2 hours later they had cleared the ECU with GM and a new motor was on order.

BTW - When I left I asked if there was any published "required" break in for the motor and got blank stares. I know the manual says 1200 miles for a completely new car. anyone see any print specifying break in for a new motor?
Glad you got it replaced no issues! As far as break in, just follow the original guidelines. For the most part that procedure is for the engine most importantly.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #37
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:

Glad to hear!
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #38
IntegraR0064

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

It's the full manual break-in, that's what the dealer told me.

Also I'm fairly certain it's 1500 miles. And the first 500 miles are super restrictive, no cruise control or over 4000 rpm.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #39
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
I wonder that also. had a friend overrev his c7 ZR1. a while later while at the dealer, he asked his mechanic if he could see it. the mechanic said they can only see the last five ignition cycles. seems like a short memory and I don't know if the same applies for ours.

was c7 zr1 covered under warranty? Hard to believe it's just 5 key cycles but per my example I just can't see gm denying motor for an over rev under previous owner on a CPO car?

Crazy that towing your blown motor car to one dealer can result in "voided warranty" when this is explicitly covered

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:37 AM   #40
davidwarren

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
well, I blew my motor at Road America last year right at the top of the hill on the front straight shifting to 5th. And just did it again this weekend! Exact same spot. Wasn't a missed shift or over rev, just let go at the top of the RPM range in 4th. Last year the dealership in WI said it was a piston failure... Behaved exactly the same this year. Towed it to the same dealership.
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #41
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
well, I blew my motor at Road America last year right at the top of the hill on the front straight shifting to 5th. And just did it again this weekend! Exact same spot. Wasn't a missed shift or over rev, just let go at the top of the RPM range in 4th. Last year the dealership in WI said it was a piston failure... Behaved exactly the same this year. Towed it to the same dealership.
Since it happened at the same spot I wonder if it’s because of oil starvation when going up hill for an extensive period of time.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #42
davidwarren

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Since it happened at the same spot I wonder if it’s because of oil starvation when going up hill for an extensive period of time.
I wonder the same. Obviously had plenty of fresh oil, checked the level before running that session as well. Oil pressure was good until it wasn’t in PiToolbox.
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote