Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-28-2021, 10:43 PM   #29
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
I drove mine home from NC to FL and used blue painters tape for the trip. It held up pretty well & I didn’t have any issues with residue or anything. It peeled right off. It was drizzling when I left the dealership so some of the tape had pulled off shortly after I started the trip back. Best of luck & enjoy that drive back!
Attached Images

Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:12 PM   #30
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
I drove mine home from NC to FL and used blue painters tape for the trip. It held up pretty well & I didn’t have any issues with residue or anything. It peeled right off. It was drizzling when I left the dealership so some of the tape had pulled off shortly after I started the trip back. Best of luck & enjoy that drive back!
Thanks!

Why did you not do the hood at all? How many rolls did you need to do all that?
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:58 AM   #31
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
PPF is almost a necessity on our cars. The paint is extremely brittle and very prone to chips. Repainting was not an option for me as it wouldn't help with resale (should it ever come to that)
Old 04-29-2021, 08:07 AM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Not to crap on your excitement, and this might have been covered elsewhere, but make sure you've done the research on buying an out-of-state car since it looks like you live in CA. I've only done a little reading, but unless the car has the necessary CA-compliant stuff (I don't think it's much, but it might be enough to matter), it will be difficult to register it here. It's my understanding there are special circumstances that you will have to somehow prove that it was necessary to make the purchase for a non-CA-car, or some crap. I'm just suggesting that you make sure the research is done is all.

Congrats' on finding a car though. I flew almost 500-miles to get mine, brand new, and brought a Novi' bra, too. It worked pretty good, and didn't leave too much exposed. I will say that even though I kept it clean, and don't live in dusty-dry conditions, that it has rubbed the clear to a dull-condition in a few spots that I wasn't too happy about. I can also tell you the clear is stupid thin on the front bumper and correcting the paint is almost a non-option because it seems like there isn't much to work with. It will burn/polish/colorsand right through the clear into the base without much work. It sucks (this is my real only complaint on the car). Yeah - I knew black was a stupid choice to keep looking good, but it's black, and badass. Anyways - to each their own on if/how they want to protect the paint. My car is a keeper, so I'm into it until there isn't gas I can afford to fill it with...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:43 AM   #33
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Thanks!

Why did you not do the hood at all? How many rolls did you need to do all that?

With anything but the lowest residue tape, you will leave marks on your vinyl.

50/50 chance you can get it off without marring the vinyl.

Also, there is the chance you can actually pull up the vinyl near one of the edges when removing the tape.

Amazon still shows xpel TracWrap in stock. Why not use that?

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:53 AM   #34
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
It’s a ZL1, not an SS. As someone who dropped the coin the get the ZL1 and then dinged it on the trip home, I speak from personal experience that it’s worth the effort to protect it.
A ding on the way home!?? On a car!!!? I hope you have a low deductible to cover all the therapy.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:17 AM   #35
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post

lol, geezez thats ridicilous.....

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #36
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
PPF is almost a necessity on our cars. The paint is extremely brittle and very prone to chips. Repainting was not an option for me as it wouldn't help with resale (should it ever come to that)
PPF is the plan when I get back! I don't mind repainting per say as long as it looks good. The issue is when I have had to repaint in the past there are typical small issues with the job that end up sticking out to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Not to crap on your excitement, and this might have been covered elsewhere, but make sure you've done the research on buying an out-of-state car since it looks like you live in CA. I've only done a little reading, but unless the car has the necessary CA-compliant stuff (I don't think it's much, but it might be enough to matter), it will be difficult to register it here. It's my understanding there are special circumstances that you will have to somehow prove that it was necessary to make the purchase for a non-CA-car, or some crap. I'm just suggesting that you make sure the research is done is all.

Congrats' on finding a car though. I flew almost 500-miles to get mine, brand new, and brought a Novi' bra, too. It worked pretty good, and didn't leave too much exposed. I will say that even though I kept it clean, and don't live in dusty-dry conditions, that it has rubbed the clear to a dull-condition in a few spots that I wasn't too happy about. I can also tell you the clear is stupid thin on the front bumper and correcting the paint is almost a non-option because it seems like there isn't much to work with. It will burn/polish/colorsand right through the clear into the base without much work. It sucks (this is my real only complaint on the car). Yeah - I knew black was a stupid choice to keep looking good, but it's black, and badass. Anyways - to each their own on if/how they want to protect the paint. My car is a keeper, so I'm into it until there isn't gas I can afford to fill it with...
The car just has to be a 50 state car. All of these 6th gen camaros are. There are no differences anymore (number of cats) between camaros state to state. I did check the emission sticker under the hood to confirm it was a 50 state car none the less.

Rubbing the clear is my concern with any cover that does not adhere to the paint. Even very minimal movement will cause issues after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
With anything but the lowest residue tape, you will leave marks on your vinyl.

50/50 chance you can get it off without marring the vinyl.

Also, there is the chance you can actually pull up the vinyl near one of the edges when removing the tape.

Amazon still shows xpel TracWrap in stock. Why not use that?
yea will pass on covering the vinyl then.

the tracwrap, armour type products won't get here fast enough unfortunately. I should have bought the stuff months back.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #37
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Drove a SS1LE from Tennessee last August. If you're driving through triple digit temps, like New Mexico/Arizona etc., watch what you put in the trunk. Everything in the trunk will be *very* hot.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:56 PM   #38
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Drove a SS1LE from Tennessee last August. If you're driving through triple digit temps, like New Mexico/Arizona etc., watch what you put in the trunk. Everything in the trunk will be *very* hot.
Thanks. I did not think of that! Will be sure to put at least my laptop bag up front.

On a related note, I am assuming a carry on bag will fit in the trunk correct? I know the trunk is decent sized but the opening is pretty small. Would two carry ons fit back there?
Old 04-29-2021, 01:13 PM   #39
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
I am pretty sure they will - the trunk is pretty big - except for the opening...but I have had no issues putting a full ice box in there and more...
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #40
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Thanks. I did not think of that! Will be sure to put at least my laptop bag up front.

On a related note, I am assuming a carry on bag will fit in the trunk correct? I know the trunk is decent sized but the opening is pretty small. Would two carry ons fit back there?
Yes. Important, as an ZLE, the rear seat doesn't open up to the trunk. Two carry-on bags should be a problem at all though.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:00 PM   #41
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Yes. Important, as an ZLE, the rear seat doesn't open up to the trunk. Two carry-on bags should be a problem at all though.
Actually it does:

How to fold seats back on a 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #42
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
Thanks. I did read it was possible to do it. Just didn't know how, but that video was very clear lol. Thank you!