Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #869
AustinTXracer

Drives: 20 SS 1LE
Here's my vid of the car's ediff being nonfunctional for my first run of nationals. Listen to that lovely revup out of every corner, particularly noticeable in the offsets to the finish. Bad way to start nats and set me back mentally. Meh.
https://youtu.be/VXBXuwGcWx4
Old 09-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #870
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTXracer View Post
Here's my vid of the car's ediff being nonfunctional for my first run of nationals. Listen to that lovely revup out of every corner, particularly noticeable in the offsets to the finish. Bad way to start nats and set me back mentally. Meh.
That sucks! Have you checked battery voltage? I've found mine low and started using a CTek charger regularly. I have no idea why the car's charging system doesn't seem to keep the battery charged. OEM batteries tend to last about 2 years before issues start to come up. I found my battery at 12.05V one time! I've brought it to the dealer 3x and on the 3rd time they just replaced it as Chevy's test gear will pass a battery that clearly isn't holding a charge.

I also think using a charger regularly may extend the life of the battery. Even Optima battery states to expect 3 years out of it's dedicated replacement battery.

I've read about the car having issues with some of it's systems and a new battery solving the problem. Just a guess, but something to double check. Good Luck!
Old 09-13-2021, 04:22 PM   #871
AustinTXracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
That sucks! Have you checked battery voltage? I've found mine low and started using a CTek charger regularly. I have no idea why the car's charging system doesn't seem to keep the battery charged. OEM batteries tend to last about 2 years before issues start to come up. I found my battery at 12.05V one time! I've brought it to the dealer 3x and on the 3rd time they just replaced it as Chevy's test gear will pass a battery that clearly isn't holding a charge.

I also think using a charger regularly may extend the life of the battery. Even Optima battery states to expect 3 years out of it's dedicated replacement battery.

I've read about the car having issues with some of it's systems and a new battery solving the problem. Just a guess, but something to double check. Good Luck!
So a battery that consistently has no trouble starting the car can somehow be bad and can cause issues with parts of the car? Sounds a bit odd. Current static voltage in the garage is 12.3 after sitting a couple days, it drops to @9.7V during startup and charges to @14V within 2 minutes (handy to have a multimeter with min/max capability). Wonder if there is some sort of test procedure to verify this.

That said, I am fine to go buy a battery. I just want to know it will end the occasional issue. Wonder if they will warranty it. Car's not 2yrs old yet.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #872
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Part of the problem is the Battery Load Management (see owners manual p. 153). You might notice the voltmeter dipping well below 14 sometimes while driving when the PCM senses the battery is charged.

I periodically use a Battery Tender Jr when not driven for a few days and still have the OEM battery (10/2017). Static voltage is in the 12.6 - 12.9 range (multimeter confirmed accurate).

On other cars with Optimas, use of a battery tender + keeping the hood open in the garage (front mount battery) to reduce heat really prolongs the lifespan.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:33 PM   #873
clyde

Drives: broken
Wow, that looked painful.

During my comically extended trailer light controller installation, I had to disconnect and reconnect the battery a bunch. Most times I'd get a "service rear axle" message on first start after reconnecting. Between that specific fault and 6g Camaros generally being super sensitive to voltage irregularities, I think looking at the battery is a reasonable path to troubleshoot. Since it sounds like it doesn't happen often, it might be a real PITA to test for. I wonder if logging data could help trace it if it happens again?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:39 PM   #874
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
So a battery that consistently has no trouble starting the car can somehow be bad and can cause issues with parts of the car? Sounds a bit odd. Current static voltage in the garage is 12.3 after sitting a couple days, it drops to @9.7V during startup and charges to @14V within 2 minutes (handy to have a multimeter with min/max capability). Wonder if there is some sort of test procedure to verify this.

That said, I am fine to go buy a battery. I just want to know it will end the occasional issue. Wonder if they will warranty it. Car's not 2yrs old yet.
I am not claiming to know much about this issue, I have no idea if the battery is the problem but I think it's worth checking. Chevy does have a test procedure.

12.3V is low. I have no idea why the car can't keep the battery fully charged but it does seem to be an issue and maybe part of the reason the batteries don't last very long. Some info from Optima:

https://www.optimabatteries.com/expe...-a-car-battery

I wouldn't replace the battery as it's under warranty but I'd consider buying a smart charger that charges AGM batteries and use it weekly. I have a CTek 5A charger, I use it the night before any race as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #875
AustinTXracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I am not claiming to know much about this issue, I have no idea if the battery is the problem but I think it's worth checking. Chevy does have a test procedure.

12.3V is low. I have no idea why the car can't keep the battery fully charged but it does seem to be an issue and maybe part of the reason the batteries don't last very long. Some info from Optima:

https://www.optimabatteries.com/expe...-a-car-battery

I wouldn't replace the battery as it's under warranty but I'd consider buying a smart charger that charges AGM batteries and use it weekly. I have a CTek 5A charger, I use it the night before any race as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Good info. I'll charge it and see if I can get the static voltage above 12.6 for at least a day.

The car may be in warranty, but the last thing I want to do is take it to a dealer and tell them the ediff occasionally doesn't work. Imagine the 'test' drives... :(
Old 09-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #876
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
DUDE! That sucks, sorry to hear that!
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #877
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Last regional event of the season on our tiny lot. It started out full wet and slowly dried across the session.

Here is my best full wet run, it was so slow with no grip anywhere-

Here is my last run, there were dry patches with full grip and damp areas with very little grip.

The CR-1 reminds me of the Rival-S in the cold/wet. Worse than the RE71, better than the RT660, nowhere near the A052. The grip on a dry patch was amazing, and then a damp patch was right back to crap as evidenced by my TOO MUCH comment.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #878
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Last regional event of the season on our tiny lot. It started out full wet and slowly dried across the session.

Here is my best full wet run, it was so slow with no grip anywhere-

Here is my last run, there were dry patches with full grip and damp areas with very little grip.

The CR-1 reminds me of the Rival-S in the cold/wet. Worse than the RE71, better than the RT660, nowhere near the A052. The grip on a dry patch was amazing, and then a damp patch was right back to crap as evidenced by my TOO MUCH comment.
I know decent sites are hard to find/secure, but that course/grid/paddock setup is scary.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #879
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Yeah, this is our only local site. Definitely not ideal, everything looks closer on video than it really is. That said, keeping speeds down is a primary objective of the courses that get run on the lot... for obvious reasons, so it's always really tight and janky.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #880
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
First Phoenix event on Falkens/MRR. Wow, what a difference vs. SC3! Mid-corner oversteer is gone, smoother launch and 1-2 shift, minimal exit oversteer and no ICE mode.

Thanks to those who helped with info on sizing, spacers, etc. Went with the 275/30 & 305/30 19 setup. Couldn't be happier. Improved to 5th overall PAX time. Interestingly 4 of the top 5 PAX cars were 6th gens.

https://youtu.be/Kr21IVp5tAc
Old 09-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #881
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Went to Pocono PA on Saturday to do an autocross on the infield road course. I ran CAMC and won pretty easily but I was gauging my speed against some guy named Sam in BS with a new Mach1. This run i had Justin Peachey in the passenger seat and it was a little sloppy. I ran a 71.589.

1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #882
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
They finally updated the site. Really was hoping to run a 70.9xx
Attached Images

1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote