Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 09-15-2021, 11:33 PM   #1
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Wheel bearing replacement anyone?

I am wondering who here has had to replace a wheel bearing in their Camaro?

If so, how many track days or sessions did it take before this happened?

Also what were the initial symptoms?

I am getting a friction noise that sounds like metal on metal coming from the front driver side of my car only when turning right, I can also feel it in the steering wheel. It definitely gets worse with more lateral G forces The harder I corner.

I track my car on a turn heavy 19 corner course and I’ve been there for 13 tracking days. My car only has 55,000 km on it which is about 30,000 miles

My car has been on the hoist a few times now and no one can see any rubbing or friction marks anywhere on the car. We did a brake job and made sure everything was lubed up with new pads just to make sure it wasn’t the brake system. I’m not sure what else would be causing this noise and feeling in the steering wheel.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:57 AM   #2
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I replaced both front hubs on my car back in the Spring of this year. I had a lingering vibration when under braking that had been around for longer than I care to admit lol (like nearly a year) It wasn't dangerous or anything just kind of annoying and took away some of my confidence in the brakes. Luckily the Nordshleife isn't a track with many hard braking zones so it wasn't a huge issue. At the time when I replaced them the car was just over 4yrs old with a few dozen track days on it and about 50 laps of the Ring so it was probably well overdue. My guess is years of hammering curbs finally caught up with me, and it was a fairly easy swap since you just replace the entire hub assembly so I wish I would have thought of it sooner.

The only downside is if you have extended studs like me you will need to get another set for the new hubs.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #3
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I replaced both front hubs on my car back in the Spring of this year. I had a lingering vibration when under braking that had been around for longer than I care to admit lol (like nearly a year) It wasn't dangerous or anything just kind of annoying and took away some of my confidence in the brakes. Luckily the Nordshleife isn't a track with many hard braking zones so it wasn't a huge issue. At the time when I replaced them the car was just over 4yrs old with a few dozen track days on it and about 50 laps of the Ring so it was probably well overdue. My guess is years of hammering curbs finally caught up with me, and it was a fairly easy swap since you just replace the entire hub assembly so I wish I would have thought of it sooner.

The only downside is if you have extended studs like me you will need to get another set for the new hubs.
Interesting, so you noticed the problem under braking...

I wonder how many different types of symptoms there are for a worn out wheel bearing such as noticing it in a corner, turning one way versus another way, braking, or obviously at its worst even driving in a straight line
Old 09-16-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Usually you should be able to produce some play in the bearing with the car up on a jack and your hands on the outside of the tire. A bad bearing would have equal play in all directions. That said, if you have the tire off the ground and spin the wheel and hear metallic grinding sounds, that means a bearing is going out regardless of play. Don't confuse that with the pads on the disk, though. You can pull the caliper off and spin it again to be sure.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Just took mine off tonight to replace. Had new ones on hand with ARP wheels studs installed. No real symptoms regarding the hub assembly bearing. But, I had another two studs break, and now a sheared mag-shock up in the camber plate bearing. So doing them. What you describe does sound like a wheel bearing going. I have not actually experienced it on the Camaro, but what you describe sounds like it's going IMO
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I am wondering who here has had to replace a wheel bearing in their Camaro?

If so, how many track days or sessions did it take before this happened?

Also what were the initial symptoms?

I am getting a friction noise that sounds like metal on metal coming from the front driver side of my car only when turning right, I can also feel it in the steering wheel. It definitely gets worse with more lateral G forces The harder I corner.

I track my car on a turn heavy 19 corner course and I’ve been there for 13 tracking days. My car only has 55,000 km on it which is about 30,000 miles

My car has been on the hoist a few times now and no one can see any rubbing or friction marks anywhere on the car. We did a brake job and made sure everything was lubed up with new pads just to make sure it wasn’t the brake system. I’m not sure what else would be causing this noise and feeling in the steering wheel.
I get a similar feeling sometimes on track and the general consensus here is that its the tires. How old would you say your tires are?
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i usually do alot of maintenance stuff in jan oil change brake fluid rear end fluid etc so im going to have my shop check mine next year being my car is going to be 6 years old and mostly gets driven on track over street nowadays
Old 09-20-2021, 11:56 PM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Not yet. I wiggle each tire with one hand on the outside and one on the inside while each corner is jacked up as part of pre track day inspections and so far they all feel the same with very little movement which may be entirely from the sidewall flexing a bit.

I learned here on the forums that 6th gen Camaros have SKF x-tracker hubs which are very high quality. That may be related to the warranty covering HPDE usage on the SS and ZL1.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576670
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:05 AM   #9
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
I learned here on the forums that 6th gen Camaros have SKF x-tracker hubs which are very high quality. That may be related to the warranty covering HPDE usage on the SS and ZL1.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576670
I have a really hard time believing that. I can't find any other references to that besides the one person in the thread you cited. I can't even find an SKF hub/bearing set for a 6th-gen Camaro anywhere. There are plenty of outlets (including the common GM dealership parts counter places) selling OE bearings branded AC Delco with the part numbers cited in that thread (13512895 for front), and they are typically selling for $83-$99. If those were truly X-trackers, they would cost a lot more than that. So either our cars weren't actually built with X-tracker hubs or all the replacements you can get - even from the dealer - are garbage and will fail very quickly on track. Does anybody have a solid reference where it's documented that GM installed X-tracker hubs in our cars at the factory?

OTOH, if our cars don't come equipped with X-tracker hubs and the OE-branded ones we can all buy are truly the same as what's installed from the factory, then the good news is that they hold up pretty well to track use and they are really cheap (again, ~$83) to replace. Coming from a C4 Corvette (and which used the same hubs as a 4th-gen F-body), that would be a refreshing change of pace.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #10
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
I get a similar feeling sometimes on track and the general consensus here is that its the tires. How old would you say your tires are?
It’s not the tires, they are brand new 285/30/20 Michelin pilot 4S

Plus I get the same noise and vibration when I had oversized 305/30/20 tires on the front as well as ZL1 1LE sized 19 inch wheels and tires.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #11
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Usually you should be able to produce some play in the bearing with the car up on a jack and your hands on the outside of the tire. A bad bearing would have equal play in all directions. That said, if you have the tire off the ground and spin the wheel and hear metallic grinding sounds, that means a bearing is going out regardless of play. Don't confuse that with the pads on the disk, though. You can pull the caliper off and spin it again to be sure.
It won’t make the noise doing those tests and there isn’t any play, at least that’s what the mechanics told me, but I have also never heard any mechanic anywhere say as much stupid things as my dealership has said…

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 09-22-2021 at 11:02 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #12
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Just took mine off tonight to replace. Had new ones on hand with ARP wheels studs installed. No real symptoms regarding the hub assembly bearing. But, I had another two studs break, and now a sheared mag-shock up in the camber plate bearing. So doing them. What you describe does sound like a wheel bearing going. I have not actually experienced it on the Camaro, but what you describe sounds like it's going IMO
Thanks for the info, I have ordered new wheel hubs (way cheaper than I thought it would be) but apparently they are on back order everywhere with no ETA.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #13
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I have a really hard time believing that. I can't find any other references to that besides the one person in the thread you cited. I can't even find an SKF hub/bearing set for a 6th-gen Camaro anywhere. There are plenty of outlets (including the common GM dealership parts counter places) selling OE bearings branded AC Delco with the part numbers cited in that thread (13512895 for front), and they are typically selling for $83-$99. If those were truly X-trackers, they would cost a lot more than that. So either our cars weren't actually built with X-tracker hubs or all the replacements you can get - even from the dealer - are garbage and will fail very quickly on track. Does anybody have a solid reference where it's documented that GM installed X-tracker hubs in our cars at the factory?

OTOH, if our cars don't come equipped with X-tracker hubs and the OE-branded ones we can all buy are truly the same as what's installed from the factory, then the good news is that they hold up pretty well to track use and they are really cheap (again, ~$83) to replace. Coming from a C4 Corvette (and which used the same hubs as a 4th-gen F-body), that would be a refreshing change of pace.
Are there any aftermarket racing wheel hubs that are better quality and more durable?
Old 09-25-2021, 07:30 PM   #14
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Are there any aftermarket racing wheel hubs that are better quality and more durable?
I'm not aware of any, including any actual X-tracker replacement hubs. The OE design may in fact be fine, and may incorporate some or all of the design features of the X-tracker already. Who knows?