#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #15
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Looks better than my local installer that did mine. He did the front end of mine 3x, each time it had bubbles in it that wouldn't come out after several weeks. I finally got tired of taking it back for a re-do. I have some tiny bubbles that I'm just living with now. Thankfully you can only see them if you're really looking for them.
My passenger rear quarter has a line of bubbles. He also said give it a few weeks to see if it settles. If not, it will be replaced.

That guarantee is what makes the difference. I've used this guy four times now and when I contacted him about this car he had a three month wait. I looked into other shops to see if I could get in sooner but they had disclaimers saying defects were "normal". Defects included shit under the film. I waited

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #16
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
I had 4 vehicles with PPF added since 2013. The only one that I consider “perfect” is my ZL1. And this perfection was a nightmare to achieve. The original installer finally had to quit after 3 attempts and move the car to a high end shop. The lady who then installed the PPF was at the top of her game. 15 months later still looks perfect.
Took my 21 Denali to same installer, different tech working on it. End result is a bubble and some type of goofy mark on the hood. It’s a 100 mile drive each way and wife has to follow me to give me a ride home, then repeat when finished. Might just live with the defects even though it bugs me.
The other two, both Corvettes, looked pretty good but if you looked close you could see imperfections and dust on and under the film.
When PPF is done right it’s worth every penny. When there are mistakes it will eat at you till you sell the car or get lucky and have it replaced.

After 4 vehicles I don’t think I will get it done again on a car that isn’t tracked. It’s expensive and no matter what, a trained eye can detect it. It doesn’t add anything to resell value, but might make a difference finding a buyer due to lack of paint chips.

That being said, if I lived closer to a top rated installer might consider it IF the installer agreed up front, in writing, there would be no dust or bubbles or it would be replaced at no charge. Other than that, I’ll learn to live with a paint chip now and then.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #17
Yves ZL1

Drives: Canadian 2019 BLACK ZL1
Yes and that was a great installation… thanks a lot
Yves ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #18
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
I've heard the ZL1 front bumper is nightmare for PPF install... Hard for even pros to get it perfect. I def wouldn't attempt it myself lol.
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #19
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
I've heard the ZL1 front bumper is nightmare for PPF install... Hard for even pros to get it perfect. I def wouldn't attempt it myself lol.

That's what my local installer claims too.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:17 PM   #20
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
I had 4 vehicles with PPF added since 2013. The only one that I consider “perfect” is my ZL1. And this perfection was a nightmare to achieve. The original installer finally had to quit after 3 attempts and move the car to a high end shop. The lady who then installed the PPF was at the top of her game. 15 months later still looks perfect.
Took my 21 Denali to same installer, different tech working on it. End result is a bubble and some type of goofy mark on the hood. It’s a 100 mile drive each way and wife has to follow me to give me a ride home, then repeat when finished. Might just live with the defects even though it bugs me.
The other two, both Corvettes, looked pretty good but if you looked close you could see imperfections and dust on and under the film.
When PPF is done right it’s worth every penny. When there are mistakes it will eat at you till you sell the car or get lucky and have it replaced.

After 4 vehicles I don’t think I will get it done again on a car that isn’t tracked. It’s expensive and no matter what, a trained eye can detect it. It doesn’t add anything to resell value, but might make a difference finding a buyer due to lack of paint chips.

That being said, if I lived closer to a top rated installer might consider it IF the installer agreed up front, in writing, there would be no dust or bubbles or it would be replaced at no charge. Other than that, I’ll learn to live with a paint chip now and then.
This is my fourth Camaro with this installer. The middle two had no issues. He fixed the first after waiting a few weeks to see it it would set in. Same with this one. I'm fortunate he's 15 minutes away.

I consider PPF a must on Camaros. The wide, sticky tires throw too much at the side of the car. The rear quarters would be shredded in 10,000 miles without it,

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #21
7LitreC5

Drives: 18 Tahoe RST, 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves ZL1 View Post
Was that easy ?
Are you satisfied of the results ?
It wasn't very difficult. I just took it slow and was careful to do the installation according to the instructions.

I am very happy with the results. I did he installation 2 years ago and it has held up great.
7LitreC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:17 PM   #22
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
This is my fourth Camaro with this installer. The middle two had no issues. He fixed the first after waiting a few weeks to see it it would set in. Same with this one. I'm fortunate he's 15 minutes away.

I consider PPF a must on Camaros. The wide, sticky tires throw too much at the side of the car. The rear quarters would be shredded in 10,000 miles without it,
After ~15 track days on gravel ridden tracks in my ZLE I have no rock chips on the doors or rear fenders, I do use some Xpel Tracwrap on the lower flares of the fenders but only cover maybe 50%. After a track day I get some rubber streaks there but not chips.

My ZLE has 14k miles.

I use a combo of GY 3Rs and Pirelli DH, the Pirellis pick up a lot more gravel when hot.

My front end is fully Xpel PPF'd and the grill and hood take a gravel beating on track, the PPF is preventing chips but gets dinged up and I use Tracwrap in certain places over the PPF.

I regret not doing PPF on the roof where airflow has sent gravel and created chips on the front half. I started using Tracwrap there after I noticed chips, and planning to PPF the roof.

Last edited by SFV1LE; 09-11-2021 at 09:29 PM.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:53 PM   #23
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
The front end of this car is not for a rookie installer as others have mentioned. I would just do it once & have a professional do it.
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #24
Yves ZL1

On thé ss… I think it’s less difficult because of thé front bumper shape…

I’m conscious it’ si gonna be diffucult but I have nearly no choice …
Old 09-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #25
Yves ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7LitreC5 View Post
It wasn't very difficult. I just took it slow and was careful to do the installation according to the instructions.

I am very happy with the results. I did he installation 2 years ago and it has held up great.
Ok it was xpell… but maybe other brands are easier or difficult to install…?
Old 09-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #26
pzoom

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE SHOCK
I did XPEL myself on the rockers (front of rear wheel) due to 2 small chips the first week I got my car. It was my first time and though not perfect (couple of jagged edges where it folds in at the seam), it was a good experience.

I ordered the PPF, slip solution and other accessories right from their website. I used clay bar first, then wipe down with alcohol.

I just ordered more today for the rear bumper (they sell it by the foot). It is much cheaper than a pro install and I plan on improving my skills as I do every part of the car little by little. I'll probably redo the rockers eventually.
pzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #27
Yves ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzoom View Post
I did XPEL myself on the rockers (front of rear wheel) due to 2 small chips the first week I got my car. It was my first time and though not perfect (couple of jagged edges where it folds in at the seam), it was a good experience.

I ordered the PPF, slip solution and other accessories right from their website. I used clay bar first, then wipe down with alcohol.

I just ordered more today for the rear bumper (they sell it by the foot). It is much cheaper than a pro install and I plan on improving my skills as I do every part of the car little by little. I'll probably redo the rockers eventually.
Is there a site to order at a good price… i have tried some but maybe there are better than those I have… it’s difficult to choose… there are so many …I’m going to choose very soon.. but i Dany thé best choice and I need thé tools and soap solutions also
Old 09-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #28
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves ZL1 View Post
On thé ss… I think it’s less difficult because of thé front bumper shape…

I’m conscious it’ si gonna be diffucult but I have nearly no choice …
The 16-18 SS was way more involving than the ZL1. The foglight transition was extremely difficult.