Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: Charger?
Magnuson 2650R 14 93.33%
ProCharger F series (A, X, R) 2 13.33%
Hellion Twin Turbo 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #29
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3adch1ld View Post
Listen, companies lime whipple and magnuson don't deny service just because, there is always more to the story... there is a high likelihood of installer error... perhaps trying to prevent slippage over loading the belt, etc.

Just fyi, at your power level you may consider the LT4 unit as well, not much more grow, but can be be a cheap option.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
the LT4 unit is the whipple right? or are you saying pick up a used LT4 one over something new?

Also new chargers coming out? wonder when and if the older units will drop in price due to it.

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #30
D3adch1ld

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6000 View Post
the LT4 unit is the whipple right? or are you saying pick up a used LT4 one over something new?

Also new chargers coming out? wonder when and if the older units will drop in price due to it.
Referimg to the stock 1.7 Eaton. Meets your power goals, good oem quality and found all over the place.

D3adch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:24 AM   #31
ste6000

Quote:
Referimg to the stock 1.7 Eaton. Meets your power goals, good oem quality and found all over the place.

ahh gotcha.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #32
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
yeah i havent seen like 50/50 kind of thing but you know that bad news speaks louder than good news when you are interested in something. that said i think im willing to spend more money on new from a dealer if it means getting a full warranty. my fear is getting something used and paying for it in more ways then one.
All you have to do is venture over to the Coyote pages on social media, YT, or Forums and you well see the Plethora of Whipples being used and the ultra low failure rates. Trying to base anything off of the 6th gen platform alone is silly at best. It's the least modded platform right now with the weakest aftermarket of the Big 3 motor corps. When you look at the 6th gen platform and FI, Magnuson stands out because they had a racing crew going to different events all over the country for years. So they had the market share for this platform. Mike aka ToohighPSI worked out a lot of stuff with Maggie on the R&D side for the 6th gen. Whipple has not invested near the time or effort for the 6th gen. However on the Coyote platform they are dominating.

Fyi I am not biased to any brand...Again if I was buying brand new right now I would probably get a 2650r, but you are not going to utilize it's capabilities with your mild goals. The Whipple will work fine or even a Eaton 1.74 LT4 supercharger swap from a ZL1 would work fine. But by the time you buy a used LT4 charger(2k), the LT1 install kit from ADM performance(3k), with LT4 fuel system(1500), and a set of headers(700-1k), you will have as much or more invested then buying that Whipple kit I mentioned that is for sale.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #33
SSUNDVL

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Buy once cry once, really consider what you are trying to do. If you just want more hp your options are open but if you are trying to race get something with the most head room to grow. If you are staying under 800whp (which honestly depending on your budget is a lot on this platform, these are not dual overhead cam port injected coyotes, fuel mods are pricey to get over 750whp). If you are restricted to 91 and don't plan to do in tank pump, injectors or port injection and high pressure pump and or cam or meth amongst other items then it really doesn't matter what you get you will be heavily limited by octane and probably see mid 500s.

Also, based on your comment "that said i think im willing to spend more money on new from a dealer if it means getting a full warranty. my fear is getting something used and paying for it in more ways then one." keep in mind adding boost and lots of horsepower isn't cheap on any platform, stuff breaks and engines are expensive as are drivetrain parts. If you are concerned about future expenses stay away from boost.

Superchargers can be low maintenance, install and don't worry for thousands of miles. There is always someone who will have some issues but for the most part they are reliable.

Stay away from turbos unless you have good mechanical knowledge or are working with a shop and don't mind taking the car in at times. If you do Hellion twin turbo kit, remember you have 2 turbos to maintain and 2 to fail.
SSUNDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:59 AM   #34
ste6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
All you have to do is venture over to the Coyote pages on social media, YT, or Forums and you well see the Plethora of Whipples being used and the ultra low failure rates. Trying to base anything off of the 6th gen platform alone is silly at best. It's the least modded platform right now with the weakest aftermarket of the Big 3 motor corps. When you look at the 6th gen platform and FI, Magnuson stands out because they had a racing crew going to different events all over the country for years. So they had the market share for this platform. Mike aka ToohighPSI worked out a lot of stuff with Maggie on the R&D side for the 6th gen. Whipple has not invested near the time or effort for the 6th gen. However on the Coyote platform they are dominating.

Fyi I am not biased to any brand...Again if I was buying brand new right now I would probably get a 2650r, but you are not going to utilize it's capabilities with your mild goals. The Whipple will work fine or even a Eaton 1.74 LT4 supercharger swap from a ZL1 would work fine. But by the time you buy a used LT4 charger(2k), the LT1 install kit from ADM performance(3k), with LT4 fuel system(1500), and a set of headers(700-1k), you will have as much or more invested then buying that Whipple kit I mentioned that is for sale.
yeah i figured that much. sadly i wasnt ready to pull the trigger this year. reason i was using this more for researching and getting ideas. im taking notes from everyone and saving them in a document for me to review.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #35
ste6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSUNDVL View Post
Buy once cry once, really consider what you are trying to do. If you just want more hp your options are open but if you are trying to race get something with the most head room to grow. If you are staying under 800whp (which honestly depending on your budget is a lot on this platform, these are not dual overhead cam port injected coyotes, fuel mods are pricey to get over 750whp). If you are restricted to 91 and don't plan to do in tank pump, injectors or port injection and high pressure pump and or cam or meth amongst other items then it really doesn't matter what you get you will be heavily limited by octane and probably see mid 500s.

Also, based on your comment "that said i think im willing to spend more money on new from a dealer if it means getting a full warranty. my fear is getting something used and paying for it in more ways then one." keep in mind adding boost and lots of horsepower isn't cheap on any platform, stuff breaks and engines are expensive as are drivetrain parts. If you are concerned about future expenses stay away from boost.

Superchargers can be low maintenance, install and don't worry for thousands of miles. There is always someone who will have some issues but for the most part they are reliable.

Stay away from turbos unless you have good mechanical knowledge or are working with a shop and don't mind taking the car in at times. If you do Hellion twin turbo kit, remember you have 2 turbos to maintain and 2 to fail.
good points there. i think at this point turbos are not an option given past few pages of comments and same goes for procharger. Now its more what i am willing to spend and do at the time of going in on this if i do whipple, mag.

appreciate the feedback.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #36
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
good points there. i think at this point turbos are not an option given past few pages of comments and same goes for procharger. Now its more what i am willing to spend and do at the time of going in on this if i do whipple, mag.

appreciate the feedback.
I wouldnt exclude procharger or another quality centrifugal blower if you can find a good deal. I have driven both blower types and I prefer a larger top mount blower with excellent intercooler such as the 2650, but I would have no problems staying with a larger centri like a procharger F1A-94 with a race air to air intercooler if I found one reasonably priced. They are a very capable blower to grow into.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #37
SSUNDVL

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:

appreciate the feedback.
Centri are fun with manual, if you go with pd style blower probably doesn't matter which one you get unless you plan for over 800.
SSUNDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:15 PM   #38
MSU120

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
For what it’s worth…..I’ve had a PD style blower and currently have a procharger. I’m comparing apples to oranges with power levels and and type of car…..but I like the procharger better. To me, its more fun to drive.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT—605rwhp, SOLD

Last edited by MSU120; 08-15-2021 at 04:55 PM.
MSU120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:05 PM   #39
ste6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU120 View Post
For what it’s worth…..I’ve had a PD style blower and currently have a procharger. I’m comparing apples to oranges with power levels and and type of car…..but I like the procharger better. To me, its more fun to drive.
i wish i knew people, locally, that has these settings to try it out. love when i can try before i buy.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:24 PM   #40
ZO6Ted
Old badass

Drives: 14GMC 2.9 16GMC Turbos 2020Silv.6.2
My Whipple has 52 k this week. No issues except bypass valve which is external had a vacuum leak after 5 yr.s of service. I would do the 2650 if buying new though.
ZO6Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:50 AM   #41
D3adch1ld

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
i wish i knew people, locally, that has these settings to try it out. love when i can try before i buy.
Take a trip to NY, Ill hive you a ride along. Lol

D3adch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:10 PM   #42
ste6000

Quote:
Take a trip to NY, Ill hive you a ride along. Lol

omg you know the gas mileage these cars get? haha if i had that far up north i'll take you up on that.