Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Charger?
Magnuson 2650R 14 93.33%
ProCharger F series (A, X, R) 2 13.33%
Hellion Twin Turbo 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2021, 07:35 AM   #1
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Curious about pros and cons for Super vs Turbo

I am looking for some good information on our cars concerning charging. I like to do a lot of research before investing into something. With all the looking around I am set to 3 different types of options. Either Magnuson Super, ProCharger or Hellion Twin Turbos. I heard there isnt a great deal to worry about with Super chargers but i had a little traction issue breaking 1st and 2nd normally. My concern with more power right at the line i might just be causing more traction issues where the other to options would pour it on a little later. I was also reading that it wont make much of a difference because we would be getting to much power regardless. I am also not looking to go full crazy with charging as i'd like to have some drive ability out of it with 91+ with the option of dumping E85 in. so over 800hp with meth isnt in my future with this car. I am seeing that if im not looking to dump a lot of power into the car, that I can save money going one of the 2 supercharger routes for best bang for your buck. I'm sure some of what i said will be corrected due to misnomer or better ways to handle each option.

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue

Last edited by ste6000; 08-15-2021 at 08:33 AM.
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Easiest to install= procharger but will make less torque

Most difficult to install and most expensive= hellion TT but it will make the most power per lb of boost (they also heat soak and are a pain to do maintenance on because there is so much in the way)

Most reliable and best at mitigating heat soak= 2650 maggie (looks oem, instant power on demand, no spooling up, leaves plenty of room for maintenance, easiest charger to port inject)

Your bigger problem is 91 octane, you will not get far with that on this platform unless you lower compression. Your either need an entire DI fuel system upgrade or you need a complementary port injection system to feed the engine all the e85 it needs to prevent detonation. With 91 octane, you will hit an octane ceiling at about 600rwhp.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
D3adch1ld

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Coming from someone that has owned, modified and dumped load of money into all three power adders (in different vehicle platforms) I can say every option have benefits and upsides. The bottom line that will determine your ultimate goal is your power expectations and what it takes to get you there.

The turbo car was a blast, high revving engine, nice noises, great adjustability of power, torque for days, intake temps at the tb within 3 degrees warmer of ambient on highway... downside, insane heat from engine bay, almost catastrophic failure because of the system complexity (IE: vacuum line disengagement/rupture, boost controller failure, etc).

The Procharged car was great on the heat aspect, also high revving, power delivery was very linear and predictable (stock feel off boost, but as boost was delivered it turns to a heavily modifed naturally aspirated feeling engine), intake temps within 3 degress warmer than ambient on the highway... but I always had to find the right gear/rpm to get going on nice power and running a race valve got old at times.

This time around I opted for an LT4 platform to take advantage of the already boosted engine understanding the limits of the factory unit. In factory form, coming from the previous platforms, power was much more immediate, but the felt as it died in the last 2k rpms (very underwhelming). Following some advise from guys like Ted (JRE) and Mike C. (Vengeance Racing), did the basic improvements (headers, intake, tb, porting, etc) and the ability to run E85 has gotten the car to get me the best fo both of my previous cars... The power delivery is adjusted with timing instead of boost and it very noticeably different. Very manageable power delivery, practically power on demand, I have more torque than ever before and yes, there is heat, but no where nearly as bad as turbos and even with the water to air system, the intake temps rolling aren't as good as the other systems 20 degrees or so above ambient at highway speeds, but the E85 heavily assisted on the timing as it doesn't pull any timing at any temperature providing the most improvement to the 1.7L Eaton.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
D3adch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #4
ste6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Easiest to install= procharger but will make less torque

Most difficult to install and most expensive= hellion TT but it will make the most power per lb of boost (they also heat soak and are a pain to do maintenance on because there is so much in the way)

Most reliable and best at mitigating heat soak= 2650 maggie (looks oem, instant power on demand, no spooling up, leaves plenty of room for maintenance, easiest charger to port inject)

Your bigger problem is 91 octane, you will not get far with that on this platform unless you lower compression. Your either need an entire DI fuel system upgrade or you need a complementary port injection system to feed the engine all the e85 it needs to prevent detonation. With 91 octane, you will hit an octane ceiling at about 600rwhp.
im reading mag's info on their site and they don't recommend E85 with their chargers. any idea on why they may say that?

Old 08-15-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6000 View Post
im reading mag's info on their site and they don't recommend E85 with their chargers. any idea on why they may say that?
Nope, but there are several guys here running either straight e85 or a blend of e85+93 octane through either an upgraded direct injection system or by adding a port injection system together with the factory direct injection system.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
ste6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3adch1ld View Post
Coming from someone that has owned, modified and dumped load of money into all three power adders (in different vehicle platforms) I can say every option have benefits and upsides. The bottom line that will determine your ultimate goal is your power expectations and what it takes to get you there.

The turbo car was a blast, high revving engine, nice noises, great adjustability of power, torque for days, intake temps at the tb within 3 degrees warmer of ambient on highway... downside, insane heat from engine bay, almost catastrophic failure because of the system complexity (IE: vacuum line disengagement/rupture, boost controller failure, etc).

The Procharged car was great on the heat aspect, also high revving, power delivery was very linear and predictable (stock feel off boost, but as boost was delivered it turns to a heavily modifed naturally aspirated feeling engine), intake temps within 3 degress warmer than ambient on the highway... but I always had to find the right gear/rpm to get going on nice power and running a race valve got old at times.

This time around I opted for an LT4 platform to take advantage of the already boosted engine understanding the limits of the factory unit. In factory form, coming from the previous platforms, power was much more immediate, but the felt as it died in the last 2k rpms (very underwhelming). Following some advise from guys like Ted (JRE) and Mike C. (Vengeance Racing), did the basic improvements (headers, intake, tb, porting, etc) and the ability to run E85 has gotten the car to get me the best fo both of my previous cars... The power delivery is adjusted with timing instead of boost and it very noticeably different. Very manageable power delivery, practically power on demand, I have more torque than ever before and yes, there is heat, but no where nearly as bad as turbos and even with the water to air system, the intake temps rolling aren't as good as the other systems 20 degrees or so above ambient at highway speeds, but the E85 heavily assisted on the timing as it doesn't pull any timing at any temperature providing the most improvement to the 1.7L Eaton.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
yeah the twin turbo, sounds nice and looks crazy, it is more difficult to put in. i had a turbo in the past but wasn't sure how the camaro runs it over say my old 4 banger. you mentioned E85 as well. are the super chargers safe with it? I know the fuel doesnt go through them but i was reading, on mag's site, they dont recommend it. yeah i like the charger look onto of the engine. and about 40% less cost with just their kit the start would be more affordable. now far as headers with both chargers. would it make more sense to get 2" headers now, with the idea of going to a charger or should i just get 1 7/8" and be able to run that on a charger not looking to break 700hp?

Old 08-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
LT1ornothing

Quote:
yeah the twin turbo, sounds nice and looks crazy, it is more difficult to put in. i had a turbo in the past but wasn't sure how the camaro runs it over say my old 4 banger. you mentioned E85 as well. are the super chargers safe with it? I know the fuel doesnt go through them but i was reading, on mag's site, they dont recommend it. yeah i like the charger look onto of the engine. and about 40% less cost with just their kit the start would be more affordable. now far as headers with both chargers. would it make more sense to get 2" headers now, with the idea of going to a charger or should i just get 1 7/8" and be able to run that on a charger not looking to break 700hp?
You can break 700hp without headers, but you won't break 700hp on 91 octane. Headers will help less than off road pipes. Headers on blowers start showing significant power gains at the higher boost levels (above 8 lbs)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #8
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
They were likely saying not recommended to run E85 due to the fuel system not being capable to keep up.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:06 AM   #9
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
They were likely saying not recommended to run E85 due to the fuel system not being capable to keep up.
Agreed with King
Old 08-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #10
ste6000

Quote:
You can break 700hp without headers, but you won't break 700hp on 91 octane. Headers will help less than off road pipes. Headers on blowers start showing significant power gains at the higher boost levels (above 8 lbs)
with the plan to charge later down the line. if i want to have fun with headers then it wont really matter if the end game goal with charging is not those 700+ numbers?

Old 08-15-2021, 09:08 AM   #11
ste6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
ahh ok. i remember reading some recommendation to upgrade some pieces of the engine with LT4 fuel kit to allow for more flow. Is that something i should deff look into even with a base setup for a charger?

Old 08-15-2021, 09:10 AM   #12
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
What I would do is grab the Whipple kit that is for sale in the classifieds. It comes with LT4 fuel system and headers for 7k.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #13
LT1ornothing

Quote:
with the plan to charge later down the line. if i want to have fun with headers then it wont really matter if the end game goal with charging is not those 700+ numbers?
Not at all, the headers will always help. Catted headers will make less power obviously, and the power variance between catted and non catted headers grows as you increase boost.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #14
ste6000

Quote:
Not at all, the headers will always help. Catted headers will make less power obviously, and the power variance between catted and non catted headers grows as you increase boost.
That make sense, i would do catted headers tho for obvious reasons of daily driving still.