Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #1
Nightfall ss1le

Drives: 2020 A10 ZL1 1LE
Hawks Motorsports/3rd gen tune

So I think I’m ready to start with some basic mods. All I have now is a Rotofab dry system & want to do a flex fuel tune. My question is does anyone have any experience with Hawks on gen 6 Camaros? When I had my WS6 I know they built some mean cars but I don’t know anyone with a gen V LT1 that’s had work done there. I originally planned on going with Pray but he seems pretty swamped right now & Hawks is only a 30 minute drive for me.
Nightfall ss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
If Pray is too busy hit up EFX tuning or GPI.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
I've been buying from Bruce since it was Thirdgen Resource, which was before it was F Boby Motorsports, which was before Bruce opened Hawk's. Bruce, BJ and the crew are great people. Prices aren't always the best, but they do good work and customer service is great. I have no direct experience with their 6th gen work, but they're doing some crazy stuff across all the platforms so I wouldn't worry. -Especially being so close to you, I don't see why you don't just roll down there and talk to them. See how you feel about them.

That being said, I think anytime tuning is involved, talking to the tuner and establishing a relationship is worthwhile. We have a local guy who came very recommended for some tuning on my 5.3 Truck. I called him, and he almost seemed bothered and said more less that he'd throw all the basic same ole same old changes at it and be done with it. Needless to say I did NOT give him my business. Talk to everyone you're considering using.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
Bohanan23

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Pray or GPI is my recommendation. 2 of the fastest guys out there. I am currently remote tuning with Pray. Super happy so far with his attention to detail on sending logs and wanting to work on different racing scenarios to get all of the power we can out of it
Bohanan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Nightfall ss1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
I've been buying from Bruce since it was Thirdgen Resource, which was before it was F Boby Motorsports, which was before Bruce opened Hawk's. Bruce, BJ and the crew are great people. Prices aren't always the best, but they do good work and customer service is great. I have no direct experience with their 6th gen work, but they're doing some crazy stuff across all the platforms so I wouldn't worry. -Especially being so close to you, I don't see why you don't just roll down there and talk to them. See how you feel about them.

That being said, I think anytime tuning is involved, talking to the tuner and establishing a relationship is worthwhile. We have a local guy who came very recommended for some tuning on my 5.3 Truck. I called him, and he almost seemed bothered and said more less that he'd throw all the basic same ole same old changes at it and be done with it. Needless to say I did NOT give him my business. Talk to everyone you're considering using.
Appreciate the advice. I think I’ll give them a call today & see what they have to say. I’ve dealt with them before & they were cool but it was only for buying parts on the Trans Am. Hopefully they’re as good on new stuff as they are on LS1’s. Lol
Old 04-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Nightfall ss1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanan23 View Post
Pray or GPI is my recommendation. 2 of the fastest guys out there. I am currently remote tuning with Pray. Super happy so far with his attention to detail on sending logs and wanting to work on different racing scenarios to get all of the power we can out of it
Hmm maybe I wouldn’t have to wait too long on a tune then? I’d definitely prefer a Dyno vs remote tune even though I’ve heard good things about his remote tunes too. I saw how backed up he is on porting & maybe wrongly assumed it’ll be awhile on a tune as well.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
I’d definitely prefer a Dyno vs remote tune even though I’ve heard good things about his remote tunes too.

I think it's harder to fudge on a remote tune. The tuner has no measure of success other than to let you drive it. Countless horror stories on Dyno tunes producing good number on paper but driving like crap. Obviously a good tuner uses ALL the tool available to him to make it better and better, but don't be afraid of a remote tune from a reputable shop.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #8
Bohanan23

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
porting he is crazy busy. Tune wise you're looking at a 2-3 day turnaround ballpark.
Bohanan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #9
Nightfall ss1le

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 04-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #10
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Check out Ted with Janetty racing. He's been doing it for years and has a great reputation. Idk why people dont mention him anymore.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #11
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall ss1le View Post
So I think I’m ready to start with some basic mods. All I have now is a Rotofab dry system & want to do a flex fuel tune. My question is does anyone have any experience with Hawks on gen 6 Camaros? When I had my WS6 I know they built some mean cars but I don’t know anyone with a gen V LT1 that’s had work done there. I originally planned on going with Pray but he seems pretty swamped right now & Hawks is only a 30 minute drive for me.

I can't remember if it's still stickied but Pray has a list of shops he trusts in. It's a small list for now but it was in his Facebook page. I def remember GPI being in that list.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #12
Neil350

Drives: Nike Air Max
I deal with them a lot on my third gen Trans Am. They do a lot of modern power train type builds. I am sure they could handle it.
12 F150 5.0 Lariat Super Crew - Stock daily
Neil350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
Nightfall ss1le

Decided to get 2” Texas Speed headers with x-pipe (took 2 months to arrive), Pray ported stock IM/TB & a DSX FF kit. Luckily a friend just moved fairly close to Pray so I’m scheduled to have him install the parts & dyno tune on Friday. Can’t wait to see how she feels when he’s done!