Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #15
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Not even close. 80% of the gains in the exhaust is from deleting the primary cats because the cat pipes neck down under 2". Long tube headers with no cats gain 25whp tops on a realistic Dyno and 15-20whp with high flow cats. That is tuning the car stock, then adding the headers and retuning.
Right, so are the stock shorties funnel to 2" or is it the cats? While there is HP in doing long tubes is it really worth the big expense?

I think if you have big HP goals , LTs as part of that build makes sense. But for simple bolt-ons its not worth the $$. And except at the track where people just like noise, the car sounds like crap on the street. Big boomy sounds and a high pitched scream at high rpm. Athough with NPP at least, no drone.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #16
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Right, so are the stock shorties funnel to 2" or is it the cats? While there is HP in doing long tubes is it really worth the big expense?

I think if you have big HP goals , LTs as part of that build makes sense. But for simple bolt-ons its not worth the $$. And except at the track where people just like noise, the car sounds like crap on the street. Big boomy sounds and a high pitched scream at high rpm. Athough with NPP at least, no drone.
It necks down between the flange that bolts to header and inlet on the primary cats. The factory header collector is 2.5".

I agree 100%
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:38 AM   #17
Neil350

Drives: Nike Air Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Not to hijack this thread... But if full length headers are illegal in CA, how is it NOT illegal to remove the secondary cats and the mufflers?

Just curious.
Removing the secondary catalyst is illegal in any state you live in, they were put on the car to meet some mandated federal emission standard. With that said you can't remove/defeat emissions equipment from any road going vehicle. It's just State/County level enforcement/inspection laws are widely different depending where you're at. Long tubes even with high flow cats are still federally illegal, you're moving the original position of the catalytic converter. Its just do you live in a place that cares or not.
12 F150 5.0 Lariat Super Crew - Stock daily
Neil350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #18
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
and the high flow cats will require a tune to pass inspection as they will cause a check engine light.
I dont know how they would be on the 6th gen. But I had the Solo hi flow cat on for a year with no tune or cel
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #19
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashyeezus View Post
Before anyone starts saying there shorties and why not get long tubes just remember I'm from cali so long tubes are really illegal here. Anyways these headers are from phastek performance and claim 12rwhp and 17 lb torque . Will these headers make a difference in sound with secondary cats deleted and mufflers deleted which is my setup now without the headers . What you all think. Us Cali guys can't really run long tubes unless we wanna risk it

etc.https://www.phastekperformance.com/J.../jba-1818s.htm

PS got a flex fuel tune coming up too so these headers won't be my only mod
The restriction thru the factory exhaust isn't as bad as people think. If running an aftermarket exhaust in your state is a no-no, consider other performance avenues like lightweight wheels, the e85 mod with a very good tuner, porting your intake stuff or go MSD/95, lightweight battery etc..

I do alot of drag racing and I can tell you this, I have a 10 second timeslip with light bolt-ons AND I had the full factory exhaust on (stock mani's, cats and mufflers). You can get creative and make it just as quick doing other tricks without the risk of being flagged. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #20
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil350 View Post
Removing the secondary catalyst is illegal in any state you live in, they were put on the car to meet some mandated federal emission standard. With that said you can't remove/defeat emissions equipment from any road going vehicle. It's just State/County level enforcement/inspection laws are widely different depending where you're at. Long tubes even with high flow cats are still federally illegal, you're moving the original position of the catalytic converter. Its just do you live in a place that cares or not.
Removing the Primary catalyst is illegal in all states not the Secondary. The only reason cars have 4 cat's is because of California. The ECM does not even monitor the Secondary cat's...
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #21
WCKD 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I wish people would read instead of trying to offer pointless .2. Obviously he want's shorty's and does not want to take a chance with emissions. Stop trying to convince him to go the long tube route.

Even if you believe shorty's are pointless, it's what he want's to do. For those who showed him how good the 1LT shorty's already are, I think you are right on point.

OP, obviously it's you're machine and it will be badass either way.
Shorty's with a tune will see minor improvements.
WCKD 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #22
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
It necks down between the flange that bolts to header and inlet on the primary cats. The factory header collector is 2.5".

I agree 100%
Thanks. So I will keep my eye out for a primary high flow cat replacement for my ZL1 and probably get rid of the back cats. But like aftermarket gears we may never see this.

OP King LT1 has made the point that the restriction is at the ct, not the manifold. So while you can replace the stock shorties you might not see any gain at all.

But as SnowBlind has pointed out you can build a fast Camaro for not a lot of money with the stock exhaust.

Last edited by Fraxum; 12-26-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #23
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
long tubes or bust even in cali lol there are ways i have em...
Old 12-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #24
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil350 View Post
There is no emission testing done in the entire state of Oklahoma. I've posted this once before.

https://www.dmv.com/ok/oklahoma/emissions-testing
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #25
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
To repeat the obvious, shorties are not a good bang for the buck unless you add mid pipes with no cats or high flow cats if available. Given your desire to remain emission compliant, pass on the shorties.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #26
Neil350

Drives: Nike Air Max
Monitored or not, its illegal to remove any factory installed pollution control device, a catalytic converter would constituent that. Not a CA only thing it's an EPA thing...

http://www.corvettenewsblog.com/2012...ic-converters/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
There is no emission testing done in the entire state of Oklahoma. I've posted this once before.

https://www.dmv.com/ok/oklahoma/emissions-testing
Right, so you proved my point, it varies state to county level. The original poster is in California where any after market part also has to carry a CARB E.O number.
12 F150 5.0 Lariat Super Crew - Stock daily
Neil350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #27
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
A waste of money IMHO. Now for looks under the hood then yes they might be worth the money. I guess one could take the heat shielding off of the factory shorties and that might make them look better and have them jet hot coated.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:34 AM   #28
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Being in CA, I'm going with just an axle back from Magnaflow Competition and that's about it until Crane makes a CARB compliant cam for the new LT1.
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote