Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 01-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
outobie

Drives: 2017 2LT RS Convertible
What parts are needed to add SS calipers to LT

Hi all

I picked up a set of SS front and back Brembo 4 pot calipers that I want to add to my LT.

What other parts do I need to complete the conversion?
- Rotors
- mounting brackets
- hubs
- dust shields
- brake hoses?

I’m hoping others have done this and may even have a list of parts needed

Thanks for any guidance
outobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Here is a list of all parts per axle. The list is from a change from SS to ZL1 brakes so I am not 100% sure if it’s all or even to much.
2x Rotor
1x Caliper Left
1x Caliper Right
1x Left Hose
1x Right Hose
2x OIl Outlet bolt
2x Retainer Clip
2x brake Hose Washer
2x Banjo Bolt
2x Other side banjo bolt
4x Caliper Bolt
10x Rotor Bolt
1x Splash shield Left
1x Splash shield Right
2x Shield Bolt
2x Caliper Pin & Spring
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
outobie

Been reading and it seems like the rear calipers are drastically different so will be focusing on just the front.

Are the rotors from the SS standard 4 pot brembos the same size as the optional brembo 4 pot upgrade kit for the LT?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
HyperBlue16

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by outobie View Post
Been reading and it seems like the rear calipers are drastically different so will be focusing on just the front.

Are the rotors from the SS standard 4 pot brembos the same size as the optional brembo 4 pot upgrade kit for the LT?
Yes, the rear of the stock non-performance brakes on an LT is not compatible with Brembos. I have all the parts to convert it and make pictures, but still lots of issues unknown with the electronic parking brake wiring combatibility. I intend on converting to manual parking brake foot pedal hopefully to bypass the e-brake.

Not sure on the front rotor difference. TGMPG website shows 2 different part numbers between SS(13590082) & LT(13578074) performance rotors for brembos.

Think just Hoses for the front 23318908 right & 23318907 left.
Backing plates are the same.
The bolts for the calipers mounts look different(based on the heads of the bolts only, not really sure haven't pulled my stock ones to compare), stock LT has a mounting bracket, the SS bolt straight to the knuckle.
The hubs are the same between the 2.

Last edited by HyperBlue16; 01-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.
HyperBlue16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
shrini23

Drives: 2016 2LT-RS, A8 Kalhari 'Vert
I'm in the same boat
My front RS-2LT came with upgraded 4 piston caliper and I wanted to go for the matching look of rear brembo calipers (red).
I asked my local chevy dealer and their simple answer was NO, SS brembo calipers will not work on the rear.
Thinking of how to do this
shrini23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
HyperBlue16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini23 View Post
I'm in the same boat
My front RS-2LT came with upgraded 4 piston caliper and I wanted to go for the matching look of rear brembo calipers (red).
I asked my local chevy dealer and their simple answer was NO, SS brembo calipers will not work on the rear.
Thinking of how to do this
It is/isn't easy, but partly doable. The only hitch is the E-brake.
Most of it is just changing out the rear LT knuckles to a SS knuckles, getting the backing plates with parking brake shoes, cables and rotors, creating a bracket for the cables to mount to the subframe(SS have the brackets welded to it already) and then mounting the electronic brake mechanism.
But that is where the problems comes in after that. The wiring is different between the car and the 2 different types of electronic brake mechanism of the LT & SS. Without some sort of schematic to see what the difference is to splice or creating a conversion module to adapt the LT to the SS electronic brake mechanism. The SS is a bit more complex because it has to monitor cable tensions, where the LT is connected right to the caliper.
Only other option i have come up with and probably doing is to put in a mechanical brake foot level. Lokar makes under the dash foot or hand lever kit for parking brakes. Have to adapt it, but would be a way to still have parking brakes.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
shrini23

Drives: 2016 2LT-RS, A8 Kalhari 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue16 View Post
It is/isn't easy, but partly doable. The only hitch is the E-brake.
Most of it is just changing out the rear LT knuckles to a SS knuckles, getting the backing plates with parking brake shoes, cables and rotors, creating a bracket for the cables to mount to the subframe(SS have the brackets welded to it already) and then mounting the electronic brake mechanism.
But that is where the problems comes in after that. The wiring is different between the car and the 2 different types of electronic brake mechanism of the LT & SS. Without some sort of schematic to see what the difference is to splice or creating a conversion module to adapt the LT to the SS electronic brake mechanism. The SS is a bit more complex because it has to monitor cable tensions, where the LT is connected right to the caliper.
Only other option i have come up with and probably doing is to put in a mechanical brake foot level. Lokar makes under the dash foot or hand lever kit for parking brakes. Have to adapt it, but would be a way to still have parking brakes.
for the detailed info
I guess I'll just stick to my stock calipers and just paint them RED
shrini23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
outobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
Here is a list of all parts per axle. The list is from a change from SS to ZL1 brakes so I am not 100% sure if it’s all or even to much.
2x Rotor
1x Caliper Left
1x Caliper Right
1x Left Hose
1x Right Hose
2x OIl Outlet bolt
2x Retainer Clip
2x brake Hose Washer
2x Banjo Bolt
2x Other side banjo bolt
4x Caliper Bolt
10x Rotor Bolt
1x Splash shield Left
1x Splash shield Right
2x Shield Bolt
2x Caliper Pin & Spring
Do you have the leftover SS brake parts from when you did your upgrade to the ZL1 brakes?

If so please pm me if you’d consider selling

Thanks
Old 01-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
outobie

Quote:
Not sure on the front rotor difference. TGMPG website shows 2 different part numbers between SS(13590082) & LT(13578074) performance rotors for brembos.

Think just Hoses for the front 23318908 right & 23318907 left.
Backing plates are the same.
The bolts for the calipers mounts look different(based on the heads of the bolts only, not really sure haven't pulled my stock ones to compare), stock LT has a mounting bracket, the SS bolt straight to the knuckle.
The hubs are the same between the 2.
Since I bought SS FRONT calipers do you think I need to by the SS rotors or the LT upgrade rotors? Any idea who would know? Any idea what’s different ? Is it the rotor diameter or the way it mounts?
Old 01-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
The change is not done as I am collecting first all parts and I think it is cheaper you order the parts in the US as I live in Europe.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
HyperBlue16

Quote:
Originally Posted by outobie View Post
Since I bought SS FRONT calipers do you think I need to by the SS rotors or the LT upgrade rotors? Any idea who would know? Any idea what’s different ? Is it the rotor diameter or the way it mounts?
If you have to buy new, just get the SS ones, since you have SS Brembos. The Knuckles/Hubs/backing plates are the same between LT/SS.

I have no idea about specifics differences between the calipers & rotors between the SS/LT brembos, i just know they just have different part numbers.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #12
Chez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
If you have to buy new, just get the SS ones, since you have SS Brembos. The Knuckles/Hubs/backing plates are the same between LT/SS.

I have no idea about specifics differences between the calipers & rotors between the SS/LT brembos, i just know they just have different part numbers.
LT rotors are about an inch smaller, 12.6" Vs. 13.6"
Old 01-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
HyperBlue16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
LT rotors are about an inch smaller, 12.6" Vs. 13.6"
LT front bremebo rotors? Not the standard LT rotors.
I know the LT standard brake rotors are smaller then SS brembo rotors, but there are 3 different part numbers for rotors:
SS/LT Standard brake rotors(22991317) smaller
LT Brembo rotors(13578074) ??
SS Brembo rotors(13590082) larger
(Different LT Brembo 84089042,43 Caliper Numbers, then SS Brembo 84089058,59 caliper numbers also)

So just don't know the difference between the last 2 rotors of the brembo LT/SS and he was wanting to know the difference between those rotors to know what to buy, but since he has SS brembo calipers, best to get the SS brembo rotors.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #14
Chez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
LT front bremebo rotors? Not the standard LT rotors.
I know the LT standard brake rotors are smaller then SS brembo rotors, but there are 3 different part numbers for rotors:
SS/LT Standard brake rotors(22991317) smaller
LT Brembo rotors(13578074) ??
SS Brembo rotors(13590082) larger
(Different LT Brembo 84089042,43 Caliper Numbers, then SS Brembo 84089058,59 caliper numbers also)

So just don't know the difference between the last 2 rotors of the brembo LT/SS and he was wanting to know the difference between those rotors to know what to buy, but since he has SS brembo calipers, best to get the SS brembo rotors.
Yes the LT Brembo and standard rotors are about the same diameter, the Brembos being a little thicker. SS Brembos have completely different calipers/ rotors.

13578074 is the correct PN for the LT Brembos.

OP if you figure the rears out, please do a write up.