Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-05-2023, 08:05 PM   #15
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
You will get a much more modern, exceptionally well engineered chassis with the 6th gen Camaro, it's miles ahead of any older gen Corvette or Camaro, not even in the same ballpark. Also, the Tremec TR-6060 is one of the best manual gearboxes in the world. Finally, though you may not care, the electronics and amenities (while definitely not BMW or Mercedes-Benz level) are an order of magnitude better in the 6th gen than in old Corvettes or Camaros.

Don't let a bunch of AFM lifters that can easily be replaced force you into a subpar overall package.

In fact, I would not buy an LT1 at all, now is the last chance to get these cars, so I'd either buy a 2SS 1LE or a ZL1 and plan to keep it long term. I understand the cost implications, but this time it isn't like you can just wait a few years to get into a better position financially and then pull the trigger, this is literally the last chance. I don't think you'll be excited by an EV "Camaro" SUV that is likely to come down the pipe.

LOL! Great points! If they really do continue to march off the climate cliff then I suspect it's only a matter of time before big brother taxes the existing V8 owners off the roads as well.

So yes, aftermarket support and cost is a big deal. For instance I'm trying to find what's available for stalls, Circle D makes one but I have found NOBODY running one yet. I'm very curious how a higher stall would act in the A10.
I'm not a manual guy, I love high stalls for consistency for drag.
You're right I don't care for electronics.
If I had the money I would go ZL1 trust me but the LT1 would be a big compromise with what I was ORININALLY supposed to spend. I didn't plan on buying a newer car but these LT1s struck a note with me.

There's a black one about 30 miles from me I'm looking at. It doesn't even have the NPP which if it did it would be coming off anyway in favor of a Borla or whatever I chose. I love Borla
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 08:37 PM   #16
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
Right, but I'm talking in terms of modding. The aftermarket support for a built 4L60 from RPM or FLT is amazing. I had a FLT in my 4th gen. Those trans can be built to hold good power. IMO the 10L80 is unproven. I know they been failing in trucks. They develop a whine and the idler gear fails.
How much support is there out there for build 10L80s? Not much and if there is, you bet it's expensive as shit. At the same time, the A6 can also be a headache! See my dilemma?!
Then build a 2005 C6, last year for the 4 speed auto trans .
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 08:45 PM   #17
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
LOL! Great points! If they really do continue to march off the climate cliff then I suspect it's only a matter of time before big brother taxes the existing V8 owners off the roads as well.

So yes, aftermarket support and cost is a big deal. For instance I'm trying to find what's available for stalls, Circle D makes one but I have found NOBODY running one yet. I'm very curious how a higher stall would act in the A10.
If I had the money I would go ZL1 trust me but the LT1 would be a big compromise with what I was ORININALLY supposed to spend. I didn't plan on buying a newer car but these LT1s struck a note with me.

There's a black one about 30 miles from me I'm looking at. It doesn't even have the NPP which if it did it would be coming off anyway in favor of a Borla or whatever I chose. I love Borla
Thats why I mentioned my no option LT1 with borla's on it and have a full drag pack, LT2 intake, and set up for E85 which you can use only when you make passes.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:50 PM   #18
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
there's only one choice, buy the legit range

c'mon man gen6's are not for the poors
I wasn't poor before buying the camaro, now I am lol
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:53 PM   #19
Kamero6

Quote:
I have about 101,000 mile on the truck. I have only owned it 3.5 years and put 5k miles on it. Its for when I need it in the snow or hauling stuff around in the bed. I have AFM programmed out via predator tuner. It was the first thing I bought after buying the truck.
Wish I never sold my old 4th gen Camaro SS. I'd have an LS3 in it by now

Oh and I wouldn't get a "knockoff" range. I wouldn't waste my time with that. Wouldn't want to chance it.
I emailed Phastek and they said no figerprint left and remove it before any dealer visits.
Will get one soon.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:56 PM   #20
Kamero6

Talking about mods, I think shorter gears would be a simple bolt on mod and the most effective.
2.77 to 3.27 would be ideal, and in the LT1 fits perfect.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:20 PM   #21
Kamero6

Quote:

I thought the same about the options... but buying my LT1 with NPP and tech package was nice actually. I love everything about the car and is a daily driver. NPP is amazing, in the morning I get to cruise and in the afternoon I can make some noise.
Tech pack is a must, the big screen and Bose is super nice.

Only regret (frequent) is not getting a manual 6 speed, but the 10 speed is actually a lot of fun. (and M6 are hard to find and they are well optioned, and dealers ask more $ usually. That or the cars are ugly and horribly optioned. Like 5k extra of interior stuff and no NPP or sound system).

Hope my experience helps
Old 07-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #22
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
I'm still debating whether to get the Range device myself for my 2023 SS. I read a few older posts that mentioned the car felt slower with the Range device installed? Not sure how that could be. Anyone noticed any performance difference with it installed vs. stock?

Also, I noticed that if I'm cruising along at highway speeds and punch it, the exhaust note gets much louder. More than you would expect. Is that just the exhaust valves opening, or is it also the fact that its going from 4 to 8 cylinders? I wouldn't mind if disabling afm made the exhaust note a bit louder at all times, even just cruising.
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 10:51 AM   #23
Dynamical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Then build a 2005 C6, last year for the 4 speed auto trans .
The 05 Vette is def on the table. Decent ones can be found low $20K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Thats why I mentioned my no option LT1 with borla's on it and have a full drag pack, LT2 intake, and set up for E85 which you can use only when you make passes.
Yes sir, and it is very interesting but I think I want to start with a stock car.
Just curious, have you always has a whine in your trans? Has it progressed any? Have you looked at your intake valves to see what effect the direct injection is doing? I know you may not have enough miles for anything to show. Do you plan on further mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
I thought the same about the options... but buying my LT1 with NPP and tech package was nice actually. I love everything about the car and is a daily driver. NPP is amazing, in the morning I get to cruise and in the afternoon I can make some noise.
Tech pack is a must, the big screen and Bose is super nice.

Only regret (frequent) is not getting a manual 6 speed, but the 10 speed is actually a lot of fun. (and M6 are hard to find and they are well optioned, and dealers ask more $ usually. That or the cars are ugly and horribly optioned. Like 5k extra of interior stuff and no NPP or sound system).

Hope my experience helps
Interesting. One of the strong points for me in buying one is the A10. When is the last time we could say the auto is faster than the manual in any car? None to my knowledge. The A10 trap speeds higher and is faster in the 1/4. That's a damn strong point for me but the 10L80 hasn't been proven for durability yet to my knowledge. Why do you regret the A10?
Old 07-06-2023, 10:56 AM   #24
Dynamical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
I'm still debating whether to get the Range device myself for my 2023 SS. I read a few older posts that mentioned the car felt slower with the Range device installed? Not sure how that could be. Anyone noticed any performance difference with it installed vs. stock?

Also, I noticed that if I'm cruising along at highway speeds and punch it, the exhaust note gets much louder. More than you would expect. Is that just the exhaust valves opening, or is it also the fact that its going from 4 to 8 cylinders? I wouldn't mind if disabling afm made the exhaust note a bit louder at all times, even just cruising.
Slower? I highly doubt that.

When you punch it, yes the exhaust valve opens and gets louder.
Disabling the AFM/DOD (insert correct term) would keep the valve open all the time.
Don't get that confused with the NPP valve though. That's something different.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:01 PM   #25
Kamero6

Quote:
Interesting. One of the strong points for me in buying one is the A10. When is the last time we could say the auto is faster than the manual in any car? None to my knowledge. The A10 trap speeds higher and is faster in the 1/4. That's a damn strong point for me but the 10L80 hasn't been proven for durability yet to my knowledge. Why do you regret the A10?
It's just that I looked for manuals for quite some time and ended up gettin an A10, but it was the right car and the right price.
The M6 doesn't have AFM and also they don't fail basically.
If the auto ends up being reliable I'll be happy.

Other than that I love when it "spits" gears at redline. Its really fast.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:05 PM   #26
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
I wasn't poor before buying the camaro, now I am lol
no chit
I just bought some Conti's, $1875 otd
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:20 PM   #27
JimRockford

Drives: 1SS + SS-Sedan M6 + Terrain diesel
AFM seems awesome on my 2022 1SS, so much traffic on east coast and the car pushes 30 mpg in busy-highway traffic. I notice AFM engaging on/off but with A10 there is so much automatic shifting anyway, i figure, "whatever." (I suck at paddles and manually shifting - I'm used to M6 not automatic).

I hear about possible lifter issues is there real evidence of this in recent camaro LT1s? Are there TSBs? I need to learn more about why AFM decreases lifter reliability or anything else, happy to disable it if so. Thanks for pointers !
JimRockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 06:13 PM   #28
Ericdared

Drives: 2022 Camaro zl1
Have there really been that many issues with the AFM? We have a suburban 5.3 with 170k miles on it and it runs like a champ. The rear end blew up, but the engine has been bullet proof. I changed the plugs, wires and coil packs on it a few weeks ago and was getting 23mpg with it on a 700 miles road trip with it fully loaded down.

Most of the time my foot is to deep into the gas of the camaro for the AFM to kick on much but it is very smooth compared to the first gens of it. I daily drive my camaro and have to take it on longer road trips from time to time so I do appreciate seeing it get over 25 mpg on the highway. Now it will be going away for sure once I get past warranty miles and I do all the performance upgrades I want, but for now I don't see the issue with it.
Ericdared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
afm, range, warranty