Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Bose amplifier connector pinouts including 2SS and non-2SS

Already changing this. I think if you get Bose in a 4-cylinder or V8 car you get the ANC stuff. V6 cars don't get ANC. So my title of "2SS vs non-2SS" is misleading.

After much cross-referencing of old threads, I believe this to be accurate, but will modify as needed:
The connectors are:
X1 (black)
X2 (green)
X3 (black)
X4 (brown)

X1 and X2 are the same in both V6 and non-V6 installations.
Note the terminology:
Left and right subwoofers are the 6x9's on the parcel shelf.
Left front and right front "speakers" are the 6x9's in the doors.
Left rear and right rear speakers are on the rear side panels.
Front tweeters and front center are self-explanatory.

X3 has only pin 1 occupied in a V6 installation. The other 5 wires listed are for the ANC system (crankshaft position sensor and door microphones)

X4 (last chart, unlabeled) also appears to be the same in both configurations.
Pins 3-6 I can see occupied in a number of posted photos.
Pin 14 is definitely occupied in a 2SS.
Pins 7,8,15, and 16 as shown in this diagram for the NKE option are not occupied.
Attached Images

Last edited by ctrlz; 03-20-2017 at 09:02 PM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
tecboy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
After making my own bose bypass harness....i am fairly confident that pins 8 and 16 in X2 connector are marked backwards/incorrectly. Evey other speaker pair in both X1 and X2 has the + on top and - on bottom...with the exception of pins 8 and 16...Looking at the wire color on the left subwoofer (pin 1 and 5 on X1) and how it is oriented on the left speaker plug in the rear deck...then taking same orientation of the right deck speaker...i believe GM's diagram is wrong for right subwoofer. I decided not to connect the rear deck 6x9 's to my Fix-86 when i upgrade my system....I am just going to use door/dash tweeters and rear side speakers...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecboy View Post
After making my own bose bypass harness....i am fairly confident that pins 8 and 16 in X2 connector are marked backwards/incorrectly. Evey other speaker pair in both X1 and X2 has the + on top and - on bottom...with the exception of pins 8 and 16...Looking at the wire color on the left subwoofer (pin 1 and 5 on X1) and how it is oriented on the left speaker plug in the rear deck...then taking same orientation of the right deck speaker...i believe GM's diagram is wrong for right subwoofer.
Great catch!
So, you are saying the diagram is wrong, but the installed polarity on the car is correct? Just wondering if there is any chance these rear deck 6x9's come from the factory wired out-of-phase.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
tecboy

All i know ...is that looking at the color of the wires on the left side and where they are at in the X1 connector....matching the plug orientation on the right speaker vs wire colors....the diagram is wrong as pin 8 (currently marked as -)goes to same speaker lead as the + pin 1 on the X1 connector.....if the diagram is correct then the speakers are wired out of phase...i highly doubt GM would do that for speakers that are considered subwoofers...defeating the entire purpose as the bass would cancel out being out of phase...The couple people who have done complete systems in a Bose car.....using a sound processor (like the Fix86) to sum up the outputs....did not use the rear deck 6x9 subwoofers to the sound processor...i plan on doing the same so i really quit trying to figure out what was correct with the + and - for that speaker...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
ctrlz

May be worth some experimentation. if you push the fader all the way to the rear, does that turn down the door 6x9's? I can't remember. If it does, you can play some in-phase and out-of-phase test tones and see which is louder. if the doors are still active, it won't work as well.
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php
Old 03-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
tecboy

You will still have the rear speakers on the sides by the seats that will have sound come out also.so it may be hard to determine rear deck out f phase or not.........i quit trying to figure out....not going to use the output to my sound processor and just plan on disconnecting and removing the deck 6x9 anyway..
Old 03-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
ctrlz

Quote:
You will still have the rear speakers on the sides by the seats that will have sound come out also.so it may be hard to determine rear deck out of phase or not
I'll play with it later. I'm hoping Bose had the sense to route the deep bass to the 6x9's with mids, etc. going to the sides. if you can remove the door 6x9's from the equation, it should be easy to hear what's going on. The other option is to just listen from the trunk side, which kind of isolates the sound from the parcel shelf speakers.

EDIT: I did some experimentation with the in-phase and out-of-phase tones I mentioned a few posts up. It appears the car is wired correctly, and, as tecboy surmised, the GM diagram for X2 has the labels for pins 8 and 16 switched.

Last edited by ctrlz; 03-21-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
Gilley

Drives: 16 Red Hot 2SS
I'm glad you started this thread about the apparent error in the wiring diagram. I just connected an Audiocontrol LC7i to the Bose amp and thought it was odd that one of the subwoofer pin outputs was different from all the other speakers. I should be getting a lot of bass out of the sub and I'm not. I was going to check all the wires to make sure I haven't changed polarity, but the right sub connection will be the first thing I change polarity.

I also wonder if I should just connect only to the subwoofer outputs from the Bose amp or connect only to the door speaker outputs.

The door speakers seem to have the most low frequencies but it could also be my perception of them being closer to me than the rear shelf speakers and the doors are a smaller enclosure than the trunk.

Anyone have any thoughts on connecting only to the sub or door outputs?

EDIT:
Seems maybe I should connect only to the front door speaker outputs per this thread.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...08&postcount=2
Old 04-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #9
Gilley

Drives: 16 Red Hot 2SS
Quote:
After making my own bose bypass harness....i am fairly confident that pins 8 and 16 in X2 connector are marked backwards/incorrectly. Evey other speaker pair in both X1 and X2 has the + on top and - on bottom...with the exception of pins 8 and 16...Looking at the wire color on the left subwoofer (pin 1 and 5 on X1) and how it is oriented on the left speaker plug in the rear deck...then taking same orientation of the right deck speaker...i believe GM's diagram is wrong for right subwoofer. I decided not to connect the rear deck 6x9 's to my Fix-86 when i upgrade my system....I am just going to use door/dash tweeters and rear side speakers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Great catch!
So, you are saying the diagram is wrong, but the installed polarity on the car is correct? Just wondering if there is any chance these rear deck 6x9's come from the factory wired out-of-phase.
I have confirmed that the sub output connectors on the Bose amp are labeled incorrectly on the pin diagram, likely the Bose right sub output that has the - lead on the top row of the connector, contrary to the other outputs.

Using only the right and left Bose sub outputs (2SS Bose) connected to the input of an Audiocontrol LC7i going out thru an Alpine mono amp and an Alpine sub, the bass was good with the left sub output from the Bose amp connected to the LC7i, but then when I connected the right sub output, as shown by the pin outs, the bass cut significantly, like out of phase cancellation. I then reversed the + and - connections of the right sub output into the LC7i and the bass was reinforced than with the left output alone.

I did not test whether the rear subs are wired out of phase from the factory.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:56 PM   #10
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I think if you get Bose in a 4-cylinder or V8 car you get the ANC stuff. V6 cars don't get ANC. So my title of "2SS vs non-2SS" is misleading.
[snip]
X3 has only pin 1 occupied in a V6 installation. The other 5 wires listed are for the ANC system (crankshaft position sensor and door microphones)

X4 (last chart, unlabeled) also appears to be the same in both configurations.
Pins 3-6 I can see occupied in a number of posted photos.
Pin 14 is definitely occupied in a 2SS.
Pins 7,8,15, and 16 as shown in this diagram for the NKE option are not occupied.
Correction to what I posted here yesterday: My V6 3LT with Bose lacks the ANC wiring on plug X3, as described above, but it looks like it does have the NKE (Noise Control - Electronic Sound Enhancer) wiring as indicated by the RPO on my build sheet. Not certain what the NKE is, and a forum search led me to this thread.

Name:  IMG_20230922_081655~2.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  128.1 KB

In regard to the following comments, there is nothing special in the menu screens that I can see, other than the speed-sensitive volume control...

Last edited by The Maverick; 11-18-2023 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Completely updated the post because I had confused the X3 and X4 connectors in what I first wrote
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:14 AM   #11
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
Now that's interesting. So our 3LT doesn't have ANC then?
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 08:49 AM   #12
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
Now that's interesting. So our 3LT doesn't have ANC then?
From what I remember only the four cylinder turbo and the V8's had ANC. There are a lot more problems with firing order resonance on those engines than you get on a V6. The four cylinder also got the fake engine noise that I don't think any other model got - but I could be wrong on that, and maybe that is the what the electric sound enhancer is. To check, go into your vehicle settings menu and see if there is s switch to turn it on and off.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 11:49 AM   #13
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Note that I updated my post above from yesterday - I had confused connectors X3 and X4 in my original version of the post. I also added a photo from my car.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:10 PM   #14
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
Correction to what I posted here yesterday: My V6 3LT with Bose lacks the ANC wiring on plug X3, as described above, but it looks like it does have the NKE (Noise Control - Electronic Sound Enhancer) wiring as indicated by the RPO on my build sheet. Not certain what the NKE is, and a forum search led me to this thread.

Attachment 1141040

In regard to the following comments, there is nothing special in the menu screens that I can see, other than the speed-sensitive volume control...
It gets the engine rpm signal over the high speed CAN.