Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
6MT - is this normal?

Hopefully this does not come across as one of "those" first time posts... I just purchased a '17 Camaro 2SS with the 6 speed a couple of weeks ago. I've probably put only about 700 miles on the car so far... ~500 of which were from driving it home from the dealership.

To the question - is it normal for these transmissions to be quite notchy? I've noticed that the car is quite particular on how it wants to be shifted, and has a fairly high engagement point. Those things do not concern me - I understand that often comes with performance cars and the engagement point is just something to get used to. However, it is notchy going into all gears..regardless of RPM level, shift speed, acceleration, etc. It seems to shift smooth, it is just you can feel it going in/out of gears.

This is not my first manual, but it has been ~5 years since I've owned a manual car..1-2 years since I've driven one prior to buying the Camaro. I've read that the 1-2 shift is common to be notchy..which doesn't concern me either. That can be found in many cars.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
This Tremec is the best tranny i've had. MT82 was just OK but the manual in my Genesis 3.8 was a flaming POS. They all have they're assorted nuance's, or nuisances? The A8 guys have a mystery shudder that is still unresolved.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
Just wondering, has the car been modded or did it come with a short throw shifter? The short throw shifter can feel quite different if you haven't used one before.
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Hopefully this does not come across as one of "those" first time posts... I just purchased a '17 Camaro 2SS with the 6 speed a couple of weeks ago. I've probably put only about 700 miles on the car so far... ~500 of which were from driving it home from the dealership.

To the question - is it normal for these transmissions to be quite notchy? I've noticed that the car is quite particular on how it wants to be shifted, and has a fairly high engagement point. Those things do not concern me - I understand that often comes with performance cars and the engagement point is just something to get used to. However, it is notchy going into all gears..regardless of RPM level, shift speed, acceleration, etc. It seems to shift smooth, it is just you can feel it going in/out of gears.

This is not my first manual, but it has been ~5 years since I've owned a manual car..1-2 years since I've driven one prior to buying the Camaro. I've read that the 1-2 shift is common to be notchy..which doesn't concern me either. That can be found in many cars.

It has a 'positive engagement feel'...not notchy.

I would add a transmission fluid service to your 'new car to-do' list. It's not expensive and will make a small difference in shift feel. Especially when it's cold.

Go with the Tremec fluid https://www.tremec-store.com/collect...smission-fluid

or Redline D4.

Have fun!

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMaro View Post
Just wondering, has the car been modded or did it come with a short throw shifter? The short throw shifter can feel quite different if you haven't used one before.
No, not to my knowledge. The car is totally stock.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post

I would add a transmission fluid service to your 'new car to-do' list. It's not expensive and will make a small difference in shift feel. Especially when it's cold.

or Redline D4

Have fun!

Riiiight . Does this mean that I'm not the only one with this sort of experience? I have been looking into changing the transmission fluid.It looks like it is a simply drain and refill?
Old 09-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Wait till it gets cold outside. I have the baby Tremec and I think the notchy feeling comes from a combination of synchro rings, gears, and from the shifter assembly. It feels more positive than the old style with the rods and nylon guides. I did change the fluid after 10k. If you are unsure go test drive one and compare.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post

or Redline D4.

Have fun!
That's it. Personally I describe it as a mechanical feel.

If one is not used to it, it can definitely feel odd, but personally I like mine. My RX-8 and C7 both felt like that.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #9
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
Wait till it gets cold outside. I have the baby Tremec and I think the notchy feeling comes from a combination of synchro rings, gears, and from the shifter assembly. It feels more positive than the old style with the rods and nylon guides. I did change the fluid after 10k. If you are unsure go test drive one and compare.
That was my initial thought, but there are no 6 speed Camaros near me. I don't really feel like driving ~3 hours roundtrip for a quick test drive
Old 09-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #10
Muskiehunterman
Camaro Time

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Tremec

The TR6060 is a finicky tranny. Mine was horrible 1st through 3rd, and forget about downshifting into 2nd. Seems they are either perfect or they are trash
Muskiehunterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
This Tremec is the best tranny i've had. MT82 was just OK but the manual in my Genesis 3.8 was a flaming POS. They all have they're assorted nuance's, or nuisances? The A8 guys have a mystery shudder that is still unresolved.
But what you do get is a built in bog when launching all V8 M6 Camaro.

And agreed the Tremec is one of the best out there.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:09 PM   #12
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
and has a fairly high engagement point...
I have about 30k miles on my M6. I have never thought the engagement point was "high."
How many miles on your car?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #13
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I really haven't encountered the reported bog as I'm not trying to launch it but yeah it's a def reported "issue" peeps have with the Tremec in this car.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #14
HyperBlue1SS

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Camaro 1SS
My engagement point starts right about in the middle of the full arc of clutch pedal travel. It's all relative I guess but where does yours engage OP and what do you consider "high"? Also, as asked above what is your mileage as it may affect engagement if your clutch is worn.
1LE Replicas / Solo Axleback Exhaust/ Street Scene Front Splitter / Diode Dynamics Smoked LED Side Markers / OEM Smoked Tails & Third Brake Light / OEM Illuminated Door Sills / OEM ZL1 Side Skirts / OEM ZL1 Spoiler / OEM Black Badges / GM CAI / Soler Engineering TB/TC / Katzkin Leather / 20% Tint
HyperBlue1SS is offline   Reply With Quote