#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 04-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Small RWD Cadillac sedan coming

Providing they sell it here this could be an easy sell for me.

Quote:
Cadillac developing rear-wheel drive BLS replacement

April16

Cadillac is currently developing an all-new rear-drive sedan to replace the Euro-spec BLS, a new report finds. The currently BLS is based on the front-wheel drive Saab 9-3 and isn't striking a chord with European buyers. The new car aims to correct the current BLS' shortcomings and give GM a legitimate contender to complement the CTS in the European market.

According to Autocar, the new car — being developed under the codename Project Alpha — will ride on GM's new Alpha platform. The yet-to-be-named model will be smaller than the CTS and is intended to compete with the BMW 3-series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class and Audi A4 — indicating that GM could be planning to push the CTS further up-market.

The new sedan — which could also spawn coupe and convertible variants — is said to take many of its design cues from the Cadillac CTS Coupe that debuted at this year's Detroit Auto Show.

Engine choices will likely include a gasoline V6 for top models, as well as a four-cylinder diesel. It is also believed that GM is developing a V-spec performance model of the sedan that could use an all-wheel drive system.

Because the BLS replacement will be moving up-market to compete with some of the best in the business, GM is putting a heavy emphasis on handling. Because of this, the new car will use a suspension designed from scratch rather than a suspension from the GM parts bin.

Because the new Alpha-based Cadillac is being touted as a "global car", it's highly probable that the U.S. will see a version of the sedan. The new car is expected to bow in 2011.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac...placement.html
Old 04-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:

Cadillac saloon goes rear-drive

Cadillac is to ditch its unsuccessful Saab-based BLS and build a striking new rear-drive saloon in its latest bid to rival BMW’s 3-series and Audi’s A4.

Called Project Alpha and due in Europe in 2011, the new car will be a key part of General Motors’ latest efforts to make Cadillac a global player. But it will use a rear-wheel drive platform that is currently under development in the US. That platform, also called Alpha, is a development of the chassis that formed the basis of the Holden Torana concept.

Although Holden is now at the centre of GM’s rear drive operations (its Holden Special Vehicles offshoot already builds the G8 for Pontiac), sources say Project Alpha is being engineered in the US, as Holden deals with large rear-drive cars.

A proposed technology-sharing deal with Alfa Romeo, which would have given the Italian brand access to Cadillac’s rear drive platforms, was described as having “fallen by the wayside” by our source.

The styling will be a variation on the razor-edge look previewed by the CTS coupé concept at this year’s Detroit show. A GM source who has seen the car described it as “a shrunken version of the coupé” with a more aggressive front end than the CTS saloon’s.

Engine choices are likely to include a V6 petrol for higher-end models and a four-cylinder diesel. There could also be a four-wheel-drive V-spec model that would provide a rival for the M3 and Mercedes’ C63 AMG.

Along with a four-door saloon, Cadillac is working on coupé and cabriolet versions, although these models have not been signed off for production yet.

The new car will not be a direct replacement for the BLS, the rebodied Saab 9-3 designed specifically for the European market. Instead, Alpha will move upmarket in a bid to grab some of the sales volume enjoyed by the likes of the 3-series.

To that end, a lot of effort is being put into developing the handling to appeal to European drivers. Alpha is said to have its own suspension, rather than a reworked version of the MacPherson strut and four-link rear set-up seen on the Zeta large-car platform that will also be used on the next Camaro.

Project Alpha is part of GM’s plan to improve Cadillac’s image outside of the US. In Europe, the perception of Cadillacs as oversized V8 American barges is still putting off buyers.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...cepts/232295/#
Old 04-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
If it really ends up looking like that, and GM really puts the effort into making this better than a 3-series and not just some slapdash Saab platform mate that isn't serious competition, then GM not only needs to build it, but sell it in the states as well.
JaysonAych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Bring it out here, and bring along a Pontiac version starting under $20K for the volume. I've been waiting for this a long time. Woo!
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
SKiZZ

Drives: 1998 S-10
I'd get one for the wife.
SKiZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
AMERICA NEEDS A SMALL REAR DRIVE SEDAN... wow... your missing the market gm... you can outsell bmw if you have the product...... and i see BMW's everywhere.... make a small RWD sedan... make one caddy and one pontiac... you have good I-4 turbo's, v6's, and small v8's.... this could be the home run car if you sell it in NORTHAMERICA

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

If this car looks and handles better/as well as a 3 series, not to mention it's got the technological upgrades then it's another hit for GM. They'd be RETARDED not to go through with this. Give newly college grads raised in this country a cool four door compact to not only be proud of but to aspire to. To me, that's what Cadillac should be about inspiration and aspiration.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
Mpower

Drives: 2005 Impala
Looks and sounds good, also looks like it would be alot of value for the $$, BUT... Once I saw the source was Autocar I knew that this may not be true. They "confirmed" that the V8 in the 5th gen will be the LS2 which the very intelligent members of this forum rapidly debunked. Autocar may be talking out of their a$$.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 AM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The should make a coupe, sedan, and convertible for both brands. For the Pontiac, I'd make the trims:

Base - 260 hp I4
GT - 300 HP DI V6
GXP - Small Gen V V8, or FI V6 making high 300s to low 400s.

Same thing for the Caddy, just with whatever trim names they use with the last one of course being the V series. They could even detune the Pontiac or uptune the Caddy to keep them separate.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote