#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
GM's '09 changes

Haven't read it through just yet but definitely thought you guys would be interested...

Quote:
GM Shows 2009 Changes!
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...changes-63153/
By: NSAP

It is that time of year yet again; the time when GM unofficially announces to the world what changes are going to be performed on the next-year’s models. We’ve been watching the GM Fleet website for the last couple of months in anticipation of the release of all of the models. Thus far 95% of the 2009 models are up, with only a few select models absent.

The most notable change that is seen on nearly every 2009 General Motors product is the very welcoming addition of Bluetooth connectivity. We’ve been complaining to GM for the last two (or has it been three?) years to stop loving with OnStar and give the people what they want: Bluetooth! The interesting aspect of this is that we have a few different descriptions of the Bluetooth option. Some models refer to it as the “Human Machine user interface,” some simply say “Bluetooth phone connectivity” and some say “OnStar with Bluetooth.” This isn’t entirely surprising as there are still a few GM models that are not using the GM LAN electronic network, which probably hampers the abilities of the Bluetooth. Nontheless, we are very pleased to see Bluetooth on the option lists of so many GM models. Look for it on the option lists as PRO code “UPF.”

A dominate theme in the 2009 additions is connectivity. Another option popping up on the option lists for 2009 is XM Nav Traffic. In 2008 this was on the Cadillac CTS and that was about it for the GM lineup. Now XM Nav Traffic is part of the corporate navigation system, so if the vehicle has an available navigation system…chances are it has the XM Nav Traffic capabilities. In addition to live traffic updates, GM has added their recently-announced navigation downloads to the option lists of GM’s higher-end models. This system allows you or OnStar to send directions or an address to the navigation unit remotely. Most of the models that will have this for 2009 are Cadillac models. It is also worth mentioning that GM has made XM Radio standard in several more models, even the HHR.
It goes without saying that a big selling point for 2009 vehicles will be fuel economy. GM has performed a few tweaks across the lineup to improve fuel economy. The most notable changes are to the Cadillac Escalade. While the Escalade will be retaining its 403 HP 6.2L V8, it is getting Active Fuel Management and E85 capability. This should boost the fuel economy figures of the beast. Hummer’s H2 is getting only the E85 capable 6.2L. Further expanding their E85 lineup, GM has also added E85 capability to the: Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G5, Chevrolet HHR, Buick Lucerne, and possibly others. More fuel economy enhancements have been made on the ECOTEC engine lineup; the 2.2L has been moved to the newer generation ECOTEC lineup with continuously variable valve timing. Fuel economy for the engine is expected to increase to at least 35 MPG highway with automatic transmissions.

Buick

2009 is not going to be a big year for Buick, mainly because the next-generation LaCrosse is just around the corner for 2010 model-year. Notable changes are minimal; the Lucerne now has the 3.9L VVT V6 (227 HP) standard and the 292 HP 4.6L Northstar V8 is only had on the Super model. Buick’s sweet Enclave is getting a power-boost; the 3.6L SIDI HF V6 is now standard with 290 HP and better fuel economy. You also no longer have to buy the navigation system to get a review camera.

Cadillac

Cadillac appears to attempting to minimize the impact of the massive Escalade. In addition to the efficiency changes mentioned above, they have added the blind-zone indicator to Escalade. Expect a slightly revised XLR, with minor interior changes and a reworked front-end.

Chevrolet

Further improving the Malibu, GM has made the 6T40 6-speed automatic standard on LTZ 4-cylinder LTZ models and now optional on all other 4-cylinder models. The Cobalt is also receiving a new radio headunit with a built-in USB port for MP3 players. Oddly, no other models are showing the option yet. Chevrolet’s GMT-900 products now have the 6.2L V8 optional and a 6-speed is now standard on Suburban.

GMC

Acadia gets the 3.6L SIDI HF V6 with 290 HP standard and the Yukon XL has the 6-speed standard.

Hummer

No major changes.

Pontiac

The limited slip differential is now standard on the Solstice and the G8 receives Bluetooth/XM standard.

Saab

Only the 9-7x is up thus far, with nothing worth mentioning.

Saturn

Aura XR now has the 2.4L 4-cylinder standard (with 6-speed automatic) and the V6 is optional on XE and XR. Like it’s cousins, the Outlook also gets the 3.6L SIDI HF V6 standard as well as new optional 20” wheels. The Astra is missing in action...possibly because changes are occurring that GM does not want public yet.

Please note that the above consists of only the major changes for 2009. Also note that what is seen in the discussed guides is not final and more changes will likely occur than currently listed. Stay turned to GMI for the
Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
"The Cobalt is also receiving a new radio headunit with a built-in USB port for MP3 players."

DAMNIT!!! Why couldn't I have waited a year?!? (groans)...

That's cool, though. I'm glad to hear the six-speed is making the rounds. That should bolster epa ratings a bit.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
There should be more for Cadilalc, like the CTS coupe, the CTS sport package, CTS-V, etc. Like was said, there's still more to come.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
Of course....they add XM and bluetooth on the G8 next year. Sons o' bitches. Will they do an "upgrade" on vehicles?
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I know how you feel Dragon. I got my Cobalt as one of the last 06s, and the 07s came with a new head unit with an Aux input jack, and a 3 spoke steering wheel, two things I had gripes with on my car. I like that a backup camera can be had without nav on the Enclave now. I absolutely don't want an in-car nav system, but those backup cameras are helpful. The DI V6 in the Lambdas was obvious since the Traverse is getting it and it is supposed to be the lowest level of the clones. I think the biggest news is the 6 speed auto going into more vehicles. I would definitely be more willing to get a 4 cyl on any car if it came with a 6 speed, and while they're at it they should replace the rest of the 4 speed units with 5 speeds.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I got my Cobalt in 2005. I wish I had driven my Saturn SL-1 for another year or so and gotten one that could be tuned with HPTuners.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
balonywolf

Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
Do the USB ports allow for iPods to be played without the use of an integration kit?