Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
jcgill

Drives: Summit White 2SS/RS
JBA HFC vs Solo HFC

Is there a noticeable difference between JBA's and Solo's high flow catted midpipes sound or performance wise? I plan on tuning too so throwing a code is not a problem.

Also I have Borla ATAK axleback so does anyone have a video of how loud this would be?
jcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
Do you ever plan on doing headers?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
jcgill

If I do it will be a long way down the road
Old 02-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
I hear the Solo's are nice but of course thats what I'd say. I just know the Solo's are $600 and the JBA's are what, $450. You already plan on doing a tune. So, the money you spend on cats you could get some headers and depending on what kind you go with like the OBX you could afford there headers with high-flow cats for around $600. Bam, double win, of course its your choice this is just one mans opinion.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgill View Post
Is there a noticeable difference between JBA's and Solo's high flow catted midpipes sound or performance wise? I plan on tuning too so throwing a code is not a problem.

Also I have Borla ATAK axleback so does anyone have a video of how loud this would be?
I had SOLO's up until a few days ago. My car is a lot quieter with the headers and their cats than with the SOLO. I don't know if anyone has tried both brands of cats. I can tell you there was a big performance difference going from stock to SOLO mid pipes. The difference between the SOLO's and headers didn't feel as great to me, but my car is a daily driver only.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
2012REDSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I have the solos and pypes pipe bomb and it's LOUD. I think the borla attack with solos would be really loud but the drone is what I think would be the thing I would worry about. I had no drone till the solos and I ordered their j pipes today to fix that.
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Bornluckee13
I fly

Drives: 2010 2SS, Stick, Cyber Gray
I just installed Stainless Power LT's w/cats and the Solo cat back. Its perfect, sounds mean as heck when your on it, but nice and subtle cruising!
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Bornluckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
jcgill

Yeah I didn't even think about them increasing or creating drone. My main concern is they will be too loud and then I'll have to sell them.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I had SOLO's up until a few days ago. My car is a lot quieter with the headers and their cats than with the SOLO. I don't know if anyone has tried both brands of cats. I can tell you there was a big performance difference going from stock to SOLO mid pipes. The difference between the SOLO's and headers didn't feel as great to me, but my car is a daily driver only.
now that's a first. I never heard anybody admit that their car is quieter with headers haha! The Solos have 200 cells versus the stock 700 cell cats. Do you know how many cells the cats with your headers came with?

oh, and regarding drone and noise, if your exhaust already creates drone, the high flows will only increase it. But I have the stock exhaust with Solos and there is no drone at highway speeds 55-80mph for me. The exhaust gets A LOT louder when you are WOT with the high flows versus stock, but at idle and low RPMS it is not noticibly louder from inside the cabin. Outside the exhaust is louder, but not so loud that somebody can hear your car idling or driving a block, or even a few houses away.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
They are the exact same part but the JBA is much less money as they are a larger company. I know that Solo does put an o2 spacer on the rear and JBA does not but that does not really matter if you are tuning. Or you can go buy the spacers for under $20 and have no CEL.

I think I paid around $400 for my JBA's.
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I had SOLO's up until a few days ago. My car is a lot quieter with the headers and their cats than with the SOLO. I don't know if anyone has tried both brands of cats. I can tell you there was a big performance difference going from stock to SOLO mid pipes. The difference between the SOLO's and headers didn't feel as great to me , but my car is a daily driver only.
I made this comment in a thread the other day and was attacked from all four sides. I'm glad I'm NOT the only one who felt this way.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote