Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #29
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
One thought I had was to possibly contact the insurance company. Whoever was her insurance company before she sold it MIGHT have it on record. I don't know how far back insurance companies keep their customer's vehicle history records but it's worth a shot.
Yeah I'm going to try that and call the dealer they traded it into. They're still in business but this was back in '84 so who knows what kind of records are kept and for how long.
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:36 PM   #30
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Yeah I'm going to try that and call the dealer they traded it into. They're still in business but this was back in '84 so who knows what kind of records are kept and for how long.
It varies state to state. I believe here it’s 7yrs. After that you can toss everything.

We keep ours longer, 10yrs now. I burned about 5yrs of records this fall. Boxes upon boxes of paperwork. Took me two days doing it in a barrel. Imagine how much space 30yrs would be, it’s just not feasible. Yeah, stuff can be transferred to digital, but that takes time & most businesses aren’t going to bother.

Good luck with your quest.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #31
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
It varies state to state. I believe here it’s 7yrs. After that you can toss everything.

We keep ours longer, 10yrs now. I burned about 5yrs of records this fall. Boxes upon boxes of paperwork. Took me two days doing it in a barrel. Imagine how much space 30yrs would be, it’s just not feasible. Yeah, stuff can be transferred to digital, but that takes time & most businesses aren’t going to bother.

Good luck with your quest.
Yeah it's such a long shot. I called the dealer today and they're going through their paperwork they store off site in some facility. Hopefully I hear back if not I'm just going to be very annoying haha.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #32
HouseStark

Firstly, I appreciate everyone's input here. As a quick update I called 3 insurance companies the final one was able to give me a very good lead. The insurance company my parents were through were bought out, which we didn't know, and I was able to find the exact company that bought them. Unfortunately, no one kept records beyond 15 years. I'm waiting on the dealer they traded it into and then looking for pictures for plate.

Apparently, my dad remembers that the owner of the dealer gave the car after it was taken in on trade to his daughter so I'm hoping they made an exception and kept something we can use.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #33
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Any bill of sale? Names and addresses?
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:48 AM   #34
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Wow, I had no idea about any of this. Thanks, great information should help me. Does an all white interior mean anything concerning trims? So they my grandpa must have optioned the 305 V8 and a 4 speed would the white interior be a option as well?
No.

White was available in "standard vinyl" or "custom vinyl" on any car. (Sport Coupe, Type LT, RS, or Z/28)

White wasn't an option with the cloth interior.

Also, "white interior" was only seats, headliner and door trim.
The dashboard, carpet, rear deck, and cowl side panels were a different color.
Choices were Blk, Blue, Green, Carmine (redish), and Saffron (brownish)

The 305 engine code was "U" in 1978. the 350 was "L" (in the VIN-fifth digit)
Old 02-24-2021, 06:36 AM   #35
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Depending on which part of the country you're in, especially the northeast or anywhere in the rust belt, it's very likely that it has been melted down and turned into a Hyundai.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #36
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Depending on which part of the country you're in, especially the northeast or anywhere in the rust belt, it's very likely that it has been melted down and turned into a Hyundai.
Yeah that's true. Winters were not easy on cars before good primers, sealants, and steel galvanization became standard production practices.

When I was a kid in the early 80s if you saw a car around Cleveland that was more than 5 years old it was seriously rusting or about rotted through.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #37
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
No.

White was available in "standard vinyl" or "custom vinyl" on any car. (Sport Coupe, Type LT, RS, or Z/28)

White wasn't an option with the cloth interior.

Also, "white interior" was only seats, headliner and door trim.
The dashboard, carpet, rear deck, and cowl side panels were a different color.
Choices were Blk, Blue, Green, Carmine (redish), and Saffron (brownish)

The 305 engine code was "U" in 1978. the 350 was "L" (in the VIN-fifth digit)
Thank you sir I appreciate the clarification.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #38
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Any bill of sale? Names and addresses?
No bill or sale or any documents at this point. I'm going to try diving into old filing cabinets
Old 02-24-2021, 07:55 AM   #39
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Don't you wish that evil on me Ricky Bobby!
Old 02-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #40
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
You can go to your state's BMV website, and find the form for historical ownership of vehicles for one person. I just looked it up for Ohio's, and for $5.00 you can request a complete chain of ownership of all vehicles for a person's name.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:33 AM   #41
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Just a heads up i think people familiar with old cars will be able to help more so to get your query in front of more people who do this I would recommend an ask on Chevelles.com or an old camaro forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #42
HouseStark

Well guys I think the hunt is over. Dead end going through Insurance Companies, Dealerships and the Ohio BMV. Apparently they only keep records for the so long and the last thing registered in their data base for my mom is from 2004. Unless I can get pictures with the plate numbers I think I've hit the wall.