Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #15
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
ouch too bad that won't buff out. Id go with the recommended wrap cleaner I think Adams and Chemical guys have stuff. Otherwise, lesser known thing is the hood underneath is body color and isn't hard to peel off if you felt you had to go that route.
The Adam's is better than the Chemical Guys. I have both and the CG matte detailer sucks.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #16
Lex2021

Drives: 2021 SS
Is the hood painted underneath the wrap?
Lex2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #17
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex2021 View Post
Yes.

Also a cleaner won't do anything for this, the damage is caused from contact and fine scratches from the dust that was scraped across it. It will need to be replaced to look perfect.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #18
Boraz

Drives: Camaro LT1 A10 Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex2021 View Post
I think it is, I was considering a 1LE but wanted to take the wrap off if I got it
Boraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #19
GearheadSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
Yes.

Also a cleaner won't do anything for this, the damage is caused from contact and fine scratches from the dust that was scraped across it. It will need to be replaced to look perfect.
The 2019+ wrap is a different material than the previous year 1LEs. It's much more resistant to what you're talking about.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #20
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_White View Post
I just did a quick wash on my car. Apparently while it was sitting at the dealership, someone decided to write "CLEAN ME" and draw a face on the matte black hood. Now that I've washed it, it's very noticeable. What can I do to get this off of there??? You can see what I'm talking about in the pics below....
I'd say you're SOL on a used car. Did you buy it without a personal inspection? If so and they claimed it had no cosmetic issues you *might* have some recourse by saying they didn't disclose this. If you saw it in person before buying they're going to say it was your responsibility to see it and address it as part of the deal. Sorry you have to deal with this, kinda takes the excitement out of getting it!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:58 PM   #21
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
The 2019+ wrap is a different material than the previous year 1LEs. It's much more resistant to what you're talking about.
Possibly, but not in this case.

If this were simply a transfer of skin oils, you wouldn't be able to visibly detect the differences in textures in the photo. On the "E" in "me" with the long tail, you can clearly see the differences in texture.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:24 PM   #22
GearheadSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
Possibly, but not in this case.

If this were simply a transfer of skin oils, you wouldn't be able to visibly detect the differences in textures in the photo. On the "E" in "me" with the long tail, you can clearly see the differences in texture.
IMO, no one here should be telling this guy to replace the hood wrap when we can't see it in person. There's no way you or anyone else here can tell that by the picture.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:33 PM   #23
Lex2021

Drives: 2021 SS
I think the flat black hood looks lousy, in general. I wanna peel it off.
Lex2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #24
B8TTYVILLEKID

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2 SS
I would try a foaming window cleaner and if that doesn't work try a good plain carnauba wax with no gloss enhancers. I personally use Griots for both but lots of quality manufacturers make it. I've take a lot of crap of my Matte hood with those two products. Certainly worth a try before getting the wrap removed.
B8TTYVILLEKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #25
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
I don’t think it’s going work out well, you start rubbing on a flat finish and it starts to gloss. Insurance claim?
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #26
Ghost_White

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
I contacted 3M and they said 2 parts alcohol and 1 part water. While it lightened it up a bit, it didn't take it off. I will try again tomorrow. I also got some matte vinyl cleaner that I'll try. Didn't know a matte vinyl would be that touchy. A bit disappointing. I do know someone that just opened a graphics shop, so I'll see if he's willing to do it for me. All the new models you see in magazines...yeah, they're all the same car, just wrapped for different magazines with wraps that are the colors the cars will be available in....So if I can't get this cleaned up, I'll just pull it and re-wrap it. The vinyl isn't that expensive if I do it... I did the strips on my other car and that was only a 1 hour job.
Ghost_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:11 AM   #27
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Yeah you can’t buff it out do to it being matte. Dr. Beasley has a matte paint cleanser that may work

https://www.drbeasleys.com/matte-paint-cleanser.html

They also have a film cleanser that may work. I would message them to see what would be best and would. Good to have a dedicated cleanser anyways.

The Adam’s and CG detail sprays aren’t going to cut it. Not alot of cleaning power.

You could also check out a local detailer to see what he has to say.

Lastly get a matte safe ceramic coating to protect from future etching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #28
Ghost_White

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
My saving grace on this maybe the ripples that have formed around the heat vents on the hood. I have a friend that's a service advisor at a Chevy store so I'm going to run it up there today or tomorrow and see if it can't we "warrantied" because of the ripples. Fingers crossed...
Ghost_White is offline   Reply With Quote