#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-27-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
ChadSZL1
Red Bull

Drives: 2017 Chevy ZL1
Smile Timing Chain Tensioner

Is it true that the ZL 1 has a problem with the spring coming off the timing chain tensioner? I am about to do my cam install and was thinking about using the LME replacement tensioner? Anyone else using one? Is it really an issue? I am changing the oil pump to the Katech unit. Any suggestions please share
ChadSZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #2
ss2z06

Drives: 2013 ctsv
Yes, there is a tsb from gm in regards to it on oil pump failed cars. If you’re in there it would be wise to replace.
ss2z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
I say while you in there do it ! Are you using LS3 timing sprocket?, which requires LS3 cam center bolt? I have been researching everything, the only reason I'm holding off is my warranty. But Im doing LS3 sprocket, katech oil pump, LME timing cover or Katech, and the tensioner from LME. It's good to sit back and watch what works and what doesn't. The factory timing that people use to lockout is not a viable solution. = Erratic tuning and timing up top with a cam from what I have read, maybe people out here have no problem with the lockout, but why risk it.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:07 PM   #4
ChadSZL1
Red Bull

Thanks for the info guys. I did hear people saying that the LME makes a little more chain noise??
Old 02-28-2022, 05:45 AM   #5
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
If you don't want to use the LME part, at least get the upgraded GM part from the 2019+ models.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:51 PM   #6
ChadSZL1
Red Bull

Do you have that part number? Or how can I get that?
Old 02-28-2022, 11:17 PM   #7
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
I say while you in there do it ! Are you using LS3 timing sprocket?, which requires LS3 cam center bolt? I have been researching everything, the only reason I'm holding off is my warranty. But Im doing LS3 sprocket, katech oil pump, LME timing cover or Katech, and the tensioner from LME. It's good to sit back and watch what works and what doesn't. The factory timing that people use to lockout is not a viable solution. = Erratic tuning and timing up top with a cam from what I have read, maybe people out here have no problem with the lockout, but why risk it.
I kind of wish I’d went with the LS3 sprocket and cover from LME, then the C5R timing chain from Katech…we had the car apart and messed up the lockout…tool given to us would’ve worked on a SS, just not the ZL1, was down almost a month for that one damn part so got in a hurry to get her done and out of the shop.

Can you elaborate more on the erratic tuning or have any links i could read?
My car throws a P0011 timing over advanced code from time to time and while it runs great, it kinda makes me curious
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote