Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-17-2023, 06:49 PM   #1
Ericdared

Drives: 2022 Camaro zl1
Msd atomic airforce Instead of TooHighPsi?

So I was looking at intakes and I noticed that the msd intake has bosses for Port injection and a fuel rail kit. If you were going to do Port injection and replace your intake wouldn't that be a viable way as well? You would still need a controller, injectors and all of that.
Ericdared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 08:31 PM   #2
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
If someone were already considering purchasing an intake with built in port inj bosses, then thered be no need for the plates.

I went with the plates because i intended to keep the stock intake.
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:00 PM   #3
Ericdared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperformance View Post
If someone were already considering purchasing an intake with built in port inj bosses, then thered be no need for the plates.

I went with the plates because i intended to keep the stock intake.
Yeah that makes sense. I am glad I started researching this way in advance. Everytime I start thinking I got something figured out I find something new that is a potential game changer.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:14 AM   #4
cjperformance

You've got a lot of posts in various sections, and you are looking at the right things for the most part, but i dont recall if you ever said what your goals are.

We can help you get to your goals. Maybe a single thread either in this section, or in the forced induction section if you are going that route, would help to coalesce all the info and make it easier for folks to read your "build story" and see your thought process.

I've been where you are, and folks here will help you weed through things and get what you need to reach your power goals. But i think it would help to just start and maintain a single thread. It will get the attention it needs and have your thought process documented as well.
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
Old 07-18-2023, 09:57 AM   #5
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Holley also offers a low rise intake with port bosses on it as well as BTR. The Holley looks to be pretty affaordable.
American Racing headers - Borla S-type
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:04 PM   #6
Ericdared

Quote:
You've got a lot of posts in various sections, and you are looking at the right things for the most part, but i dont recall if you ever said what your goals are.

We can help you get to your goals. Maybe a single thread either in this section, or in the forced induction section if you are going that route, would help to coalesce all the info and make it easier for folks to read your "build story" and see your thought process.

I've been where you are, and folks here will help you weed through things and get what you need to reach your power goals. But i think it would help to just start and maintain a single thread. It will get the attention it needs and have your thought process documented as well.
You're right. I am still very much in the dreaming phase. The only things I know for sure is I want to run a centrifugal supercharger and for the car to be wicked fast on the street. I may take it to a dragstrip just to see what it will do eventually but that will just be for my info. I guess the main point is to have fun and make it ridiculously overpowered for a daily driver, and to have fun and learn in my hobby. I have gotten to a point in my life where I actually have some money to blow on hobbies and my kids are getting big enough that I will have some time to do it. A lot of the things I am looking at doing are because it is all new to me and the only way I truly understand stuff is by getting my hands on it.

When I first started looking at what I was going to do to improve performance, I thought I could slap a procharger on it over the weekend do some tuning and be good to go. Then start slapping on other upgrades one at a time until I was happy. Then you guys crushed my dreams with reality of the weak points of this platform and all the money time I am going to have to throw into it. My wife and I both make pretty decent money, so that is less of a concern once we pay off a couple of big ticket items that she wanted (a swimming pool, new suburban) so in reality I have to make her happy first before I start dumping money into my car...so I am guessing 2-3 years.

End goals are:
Procharger, full e-85, Meth, Cammed, intake, full exhaust, Heads ported and polished, tuned with me learning and tweeking it later. The big problem I am trying to wrap my head around is all the supporting things I need to do to get to those goals and what order to do it, and seems to keep snowballing. The fuel system is going to have to be upgraded, the engine internals will need to be upgraded...etc...etc. I am also lazy to a point where yeah I don't want to be ripping the car apart all the time to install the next thing so it makes sense to do it all in one big bang...but where do I stop? What start off as an idea to get a procharger on the car running e-85 and meth turned into just about everything being replaced but the block and now it is a 416 stroked motor pushing God knows how many hp's
Old 07-18-2023, 02:39 PM   #7
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericdared View Post
You're right. I am still very much in the dreaming phase. The only things I know for sure is I want to run a centrifugal supercharger and for the car to be wicked fast on the street. I may take it to a dragstrip just to see what it will do eventually but that will just be for my info. I guess the main point is to have fun and make it ridiculously overpowered for a daily driver, and to have fun and learn in my hobby. I have gotten to a point in my life where I actually have some money to blow on hobbies and my kids are getting big enough that I will have some time to do it. A lot of the things I am looking at doing are because it is all new to me and the only way I truly understand stuff is by getting my hands on it.

When I first started looking at what I was going to do to improve performance, I thought I could slap a procharger on it over the weekend do some tuning and be good to go. Then start slapping on other upgrades one at a time until I was happy. Then you guys crushed my dreams with reality of the weak points of this platform and all the money time I am going to have to throw into it. My wife and I both make pretty decent money, so that is less of a concern once we pay off a couple of big ticket items that she wanted (a swimming pool, new suburban) so in reality I have to make her happy first before I start dumping money into my car...so I am guessing 2-3 years.

End goals are:
Procharger, full e-85, Meth, Cammed, intake, full exhaust, Heads ported and polished, tuned with me learning and tweeking it later. The big problem I am trying to wrap my head around is all the supporting things I need to do to get to those goals and what order to do it, and seems to keep snowballing. The fuel system is going to have to be upgraded, the engine internals will need to be upgraded...etc...etc. I am also lazy to a point where yeah I don't want to be ripping the car apart all the time to install the next thing so it makes sense to do it all in one big bang...but where do I stop? What start off as an idea to get a procharger on the car running e-85 and meth turned into just about everything being replaced but the block and now it is a 416 stroked motor pushing God knows how many hp's
Suggest you reach out to @Blackbeast2SS for his build info... along the same lines as your wish list, but he went with a LT4 supercharger and not a Procharger. Also, we have a resident Tuner in our forum that has helped many people here... @KingLT1. Try reaching out to these guys to pick their brain... you won't be disappointed. Finally, totally agree with @cjperformance about your multiple threads across this forum... start a thread and build off that, so all the knowledge of this forum can assist you. Wealth of information here with these guys!
Old 07-18-2023, 02:40 PM   #8
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Unless you have the deep pockets to do everything at once I would build the engine and complete fueling system. Making sure the fueling system up what you are planning in the future. This will get you a decent bump in HP and set you up nicely for you future plans with a procharger.
American Racing headers - Borla S-type
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 05:25 PM   #9
cjperformance

I would ask... whats the fastest/highest hp thing youve driven to date? Because I dont have cam/heads etc... and ive pretty much made 1st and 2nd gear useless on the street. Itll blow off the tires if i punch it any any speed in those 2 gears, and the rest of them are dicey unless ive got hot pavement and hot tires (thats with DRs). So... you dont need everything and the kitchen sink too if it will only ever be driven on the street.

Itll be a wild ride just with just fueling and a forced induction of any kind.
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
Old 07-18-2023, 08:37 PM   #10
Ericdared

Quote:
I would ask... whats the fastest/highest hp thing youve driven to date? Because I dont have cam/heads etc... and ive pretty much made 1st and 2nd gear useless on the street. Itll blow off the tires if i punch it any any speed in those 2 gears, and the rest of them are dicey unless ive got hot pavement and hot tires (thats with DRs). So... you dont need everything and the kitchen sink too if it will only ever be driven on the street.

Itll be a wild ride just with just fueling and a forced induction of any kind.

Want and need are two different things I get you and understand. Highest hp thing I have had is my 67 chevelle I sold a couple of years back. I never had it on the dyno but did get a single 10.5 pass on it on drag radials, all motor before they kicked me off the track(no roll cage). I was really past the point that it needed to be back halfed and running slicks, I just don't want a dedicated track car.

You are 100% correct and by the time I actually start doing the things hopefully I will have come back to earth and realized I don't really need to spend 30k on my car to get all the shiny things. Keep trying to talk sense into me. I need it and my wife will be thankful.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:14 AM   #11
cjperformance

Youll run mid to high 10s pretty easily with a basic fueling/forced-ind package on E85. Laynlo is running in the 9's on a Maggie 2300 on a SBE. I did 10.84 on a PC with a shitty 4.13" pulley. Not sure what my new time will be after port inj and the 3.7" pulley. Hopefully mid/low 10s. Id throw a party if i did 9.99, but not feeling like thats likely unless i can get my 60 ft down. Also on SBE.

With that said, i dont want to dissuade you from forging the internals, because its almost unanimous that its the right thing to do. Ive owned up to the fact that if i blow the motor, its not for lack of folks here telling me to forge it. I have not gone that route yet, but nothing ive done so far prevents it later.

You can run down to 9.5 (i think) in the 1/4 in a modern car (forget what year... like 2013+ or something) and not require any major safety mods.

Im really just a noob pretending to know things There is nuance and infinite caveats to this and Im probably going to get chastised for saying this, but seems like if your goal is high-mid 10s youll probably be fine on fueling, FI and E85 on SBE. Faster than 10.5 and its starting to get dicey and would/should forge it.

Another rule of thumb is if you are shooting for the 650 - 700+ rwhp on E85 then forge it. Threshold is much lower if you arent running E85. And if you are going to forge it, may as well do heads and cam too. Stay away from meth as fueling unless you are forged, and even then seems like it should just be used for cooling unless you have a good distribution system for meth.

I havent forged or did heads/cam because i still have emissions testing to think about and i havent pushed the SBE to the limit yet. However i dont think ill go any further on the SBE than where im at, so may be at the limit now. I certainly dont want to lean it out any further than .78 to .80 lambda at 11-12 psi on SBE. So im losing a bit of power there.

Im just rambling now after my morning caffeine so ill shut up now.
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
Old 07-19-2023, 09:15 AM   #12
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
[QUOTE=cjperformance;11337716]. Stay away from meth as fueling unless you are forged, and even then seems like it should just be used for cooling unless you have a good distribution system for meth.

I am running forged internals on meth and flex fuel... keep in mind that I run Meth for cooling but it does have an effect on the fueling side as well.... Meth + Pump Gas (93)= ~E60ish... I don't really see a difference until I run close to full E85 in the car now with my set up. My tuner turned mine down to 832 rwhp for reliability and streetability (if there is such a thing), and of course running drag radials but still spinning the tires until I reach above 40 or so.
600-700rwhp with E is much more street friendly IMO. (but if ya going to take it to the track, you will want more )