Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
brduke

Drives: '18 1LE '12 V-Wagon, '16 F90 & M3
1LE Should I or Shouldn't I?

New to the MB and have some questions...
I would like to place a down payment on a 1LE

1. Does anyone know how many cars will be produced in total?
2. Possibly 750 / year, how many years?
3. Is there any future increase of value of the ZL1 1LE (the 547 GNX Buicks made are now 100K+)?
4. Will minor modifications hurt the value of this car? (headers, exhaust, pulley...)? Any suggested mods or a list would be appreciated.
5. Do you think there will be a niche for an easy resale of this car (I hope it won't crash in price within a year)?
6....any other discussions to assist in purchasing or NOT purchasing would be greatly appreciated.

I know we don't have a crystal ball, just wanted to know your thoughts....

brduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
You need to go to the 6th Gen forum...Here's the link...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=221

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508104
And other threads. What have the ZL1's done up to now in price changes?
The GNX was rare, and 1year only. Now 30 years later in mint condition it commands high prices, that I think will tank once old people stop buying old cars in their retirement years.
Edit: But if you want to convince yourself and your wife you will be rich someday as the reason to buy it, that's up to you
Oh, and look at cars commanding the high prices, they are all perfect showroom condition with as few miles as possible. Garage kept and hardly driven, and you talk about mods? By the way even original tires battery hoses and hose clamps matter in investment cars. A real investment car isn't something you'd likely enjoy much.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
Viczl1

Drives: 2019 ZL1
So very true. And when you factor in the 30 years if storage, insurance and maintenance you made nothing
Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Purchase a car to enjoy it. If you're buying a new Pony Car in the hopes that it's worth something in 30-40 years, you're wasting your time.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
First off, go to the Camaro6 forum for this question. Second off, don't buy a car (Especially a Chevy Camaro) and expect a return on it. If you had a super rare Ferrari 458 Speciale, then maybe, the value would start going up. But you'd have to keep it in pristine condition, sub 1000 miles, with absolutely no flaws or otherwise issues. If you did the same thing with a Camaro, you'd still lose a bunch of cash, plus you don't get the advantage of saying "I own a Ferrari".
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by brduke View Post
New to the MB and have some questions...
I would like to place a down payment on a 1LE

1. Does anyone know how many cars will be produced in total? NOT EVEN GM KNOWS - THE MARKET WILL DICTATE - IF THEY ARE SELLING GM WILL BUILD THEM - BUT THEY WON'T OVERPRODUCE LIKE THE Z/28 AND HAVE TO DISCOUNT THEM LATER.

2. Possibly 750 / year, how many years? 2-3 YEARS THEN GEN 6 WILL BE DONE

3. Is there any future increase of value of the ZL1 1LE (the 547 GNX Buicks made are now 100K+)? COME BACK AND ASK IN 20 YEARS - BUT PROBABLY NOT

4. Will minor modifications hurt the value of this car? (headers, exhaust, pulley...)? Any suggested mods or a list would be appreciated. MODS ALWAYS HURT THE VALUE OF THE CAR

5. Do you think there will be a niche for an easy resale of this car (I hope it won't crash in price within a year)? PRICE WILL DEPRECIATE ON A NORMAL CURVE FOR A MORE LIMITED PRODUCTION CAR - $5K-$10K YEAR 1 (PLUS YOUR TAXES), THEN MARKET WILL DICTATE.

6....any other discussions to assist in purchasing or NOT purchasing would be greatly appreciated. BUY ONE IF IT MEETS YOUR NEEDS FOR THAT CAR AND IT WILL BE FUN TO OWN. IF YOU ARE WORRYING ABOUT MONEY IT WON'T BE FUN TO OWN - BUT IF NOT - IT WILL BE A FUN CAR TO OWN AS IT IS WICKED FAST!

I know we don't have a crystal ball, just wanted to know your thoughts....

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viczl1 View Post
So very true. And when you factor in the 30 years if storage, insurance and maintenance you made nothing
For sure. I just sold a vehicle after adding up those annual costs. $2000 for locked gated storage garage, $1000 insurance, $ license fee. Then I got hit with some excise tax fee thing, I don't know if that is annual recurring also. Oh yeah, and an annual inspection required (it is an airplane) that is another $1000 minimum! And those big sales taxes and license fee's when you buy something.
We are always in inflation, so assume you are dealing with 3% a year, and have to put in $400 a month in keeping it with a purchase price of $80,000. In 20years if it sells for $277,000 you made nothin'. Kind of an eye opener isn't it?.
https://www.investor.gov/additional-...est-calculator
(sorry the pics are kind of big, don't know how to easily shrink them)
If you plug in a 1987 GNX, purchase price of $20,000 (think it was near $30k actually) and kept it in your garage and paid $200 a month for lic and insurance w/ 3% it would be = $165k now to break even. Investing 101 is to know how much your putting in it and what you need to get out of it to make any profit. Look up what that money in the stock market would be worth now, probably over a million depending on your stock picks.
Attached Images

Last edited by silversleeper; 09-20-2017 at 11:23 PM.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #9
kingz
Banned

Drives: The best!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
First off, go to the Camaro6 forum for this question. Second off, don't buy a car (Especially a Chevy Camaro) and expect a return on it. If you had a super rare Ferrari 458 Speciale, then maybe, the value would start going up. But you'd have to keep it in pristine condition, sub 1000 miles, with absolutely no flaws or otherwise issues. If you did the same thing with a Camaro, you'd still lose a bunch of cash, plus you don't get the advantage of saying "I own a Ferrari".
Especially a Chevy Camaro ? If you look at the 60's and early 70's camaro you would know Camaro's appreciating better than a Ferrari . Ppl are paying more for muscle/pony cars than Ferrari's because who cares to say they own a Ferrari. Alot of ppl that have Ferrari's have a muscle car parked next to it and under a car cover
. They cherish their muscle/pony car more. I guess everyone don't want to tell ppl what they own because that sounds so immature
kingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #10
brduke

Drives: '18 1LE '12 V-Wagon, '16 F90 & M3
Thanks for all the pointers.
The chart is a real 'eye-opener'.
Cars are not an investment but sure are fun.
And I am having fun.
brduke is offline   Reply With Quote