Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Vidgamer

Drives: VW Golf TDI
Should I get a Camaro?

I'm not ready to purchase yet, but started thinking about what I might want in my next car, and saw that there was a new model of Camaro. I was thinking that I might prefer a "sports sedan" or a VW GTI, but the Camaro sounds pretty fantastic.

I've read some threads here (including the summary thread and the brochure), and tried figuring out the available options, but it's a bit confusing. The V8 is way overkill for me, and I finally figured out that the turbo 4cyl isn't out yet, so I guess it would be the v6 if I had to buy soon. I did the "build your car" on the GM site, come up with something that's $32k or $35k, and when I search inventory, most available vehicles are around $40k. Yikes! Ok, I found some at $35K, but now that I look at the $40k ones, I like some of the options... hmm.

Are people not buying manual transmissions any more? That'd save $1500 right there...

What happens to the roof with a sunroof? Does it no longer have the "groove" in the center? I imagine there are some weird things like this that I have yet to find out.

I have been in the new Mustang, and I can't fit in the back seat due to headroom. Is it better in the Camaro?

Yeah, I know the GTI is less car, but it's also less expensive and still pretty fast. Then again, I should compare the GTI to the 1LT Camaro, which ends up being around $30k -- not too much more. I do
Vidgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Yes, you should get a Camaro Automatic V6 no sunroof 1LT with the RS Package and the back seat are ok for kids with a booster seat!
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
I believe the turbo is scheduled to start production this week. The price difference between the manual and the automatic is normal for Chevy when both are offered. There will be a mandatory 2-3 week quality check hold for the initial run of the turbo equipped builds.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Vidgamer

Thanks for the info. I am in no hurry for now, so I can wait for the turbo and see how it is. If it doesn't have noticeable lag, I might be interested, as it still is pretty fast from the 0-60 numbers that have been posted. Yeah, I know, not the same as the V6 or V8 with the louder exhaust, but still....

As for getting the LT1 w/RS package, that seems to be the best bang for the buck. I could get almost all of the features I'd want with that and the tech package for the upgraded radio, and it's about $31K. Hmm.

I really like the styling. The 5th gen was good, but they really did a great job with this one.

I like the grooved roof, but for the sunroof, I can see that I was right -- it changes to a smooth roof. Looks cleaner, and I would like a sunroof, but I kinda like the looks of the non-sunroof.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:34 AM   #5
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
I was in a similar situation a few months ago, trying to figure out if the Camaro was the right choice for me.

Transmission choice is a bit complicated, and there are a few threads dedicated to it. For the V6, I believe MT is actually slightly quicker, but for the SS, the AT is faster. If you enjoy rowing your own, go for it!

Sunroof causes a slight loss of roof height inside, and you lose the reverse mohawk. Also a little extra weight where you don't necessarily want it (if you plan to track heavily, but V6 and I4 aren't exactly good choices for heavy track use).

Back seat is smaller than the Mustang. I'm 30 years old and have a newborn. I made sure that the rear facing car seat could fit in the back seat, and it does. I can't imagine hauling any kids over about 13 y/o in the back seat or any adults over 5' 2"...

Your best bet is to go down and test drive one if your local dealer has one in stock. The GTI would be more practical choice if it would be your only car. I have a Silverado 2500 and my wife has a Honda Fit which will be upgraded next year. I ordered my 2SS over a week ago, and hope to have it delivered by mid April.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #6
Vidgamer

That's too bad about the rear seats. I've had two people give me conflicting reports about the seats -- one person says it's better than the 'Stang, the other says that the Camaro is worse! I don't see how. Anyways, one day I'll have to swing by and check it out. Maybe once the 4cyl is out?

I've been scouring the 'net looking for any reviews of the 4cyl, but there seems to be nothing. I guess it'll have to be out before anyone gets their hands on it. Weird, I would have thought Chevy would have loaned one out by now. I know it won't have the sound of the V8 or even V6, but just on numbers, it should still be high performance relative to many other choices; the torque (more than the v6!) might mean it's fun to drive, just not the best choice for drag racing. And it's really fantastic that you can get it with all of the extras, if you like -- it's not just for stripped-down models, like you see some other brands do.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:14 PM   #7
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
That's too bad about the rear seats. I've had two people give me conflicting reports about the seats -- one person says it's better than the 'Stang, the other says that the Camaro is worse! I don't see how. Anyways, one day I'll have to swing by and check it out. Maybe once the 4cyl is out?

I've been scouring the 'net looking for any reviews of the 4cyl, but there seems to be nothing. I guess it'll have to be out before anyone gets their hands on it. Weird, I would have thought Chevy would have loaned one out by now. I know it won't have the sound of the V8 or even V6, but just on numbers, it should still be high performance relative to many other choices; the torque (more than the v6!) might mean it's fun to drive, just not the best choice for drag racing. And it's really fantastic that you can get it with all of the extras, if you like -- it's not just for stripped-down models, like you see some other brands do.
There's no production 2.0T cars out yet, so reviews won't come until some get built. If you have ever driven a Mk5 or better GTI, the turbo lag will be about the same...not much.

As for the rear seats, the Mustang has more leg room but similar head room (which is not good for anyone over 5'8" from what I've heard).

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:14 AM   #8
1960apache

Drives: 1969 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
I'm not ready to purchase yet, but started thinking about what I might want in my next car, and saw that there was a new model of Camaro. I was thinking that I might prefer a "sports sedan" or a VW GTI, but the Camaro sounds pretty fantastic.

I've read some threads here (including the summary thread and the brochure), and tried figuring out the available options, but it's a bit confusing. The V8 is way overkill for me, and I finally figured out that the turbo 4cyl isn't out yet, so I guess it would be the v6 if I had to buy soon. I did the "build your car" on the GM site, come up with something that's $32k or $35k, and when I search inventory, most available vehicles are around $40k. Yikes! Ok, I found some at $35K, but now that I look at the $40k ones, I like some of the options... hmm.

Are people not buying manual transmissions any more? That'd save $1500 right there...

What happens to the roof with a sunroof? Does it no longer have the "groove" in the center? I imagine there are some weird things like this that I have yet to find out.

I have been in the new Mustang, and I can't fit in the back seat due to headroom. Is it better in the Camaro?

Yeah, I know the GTI is less car, but it's also less expensive and still pretty fast. Then again, I should compare the GTI to the 1LT Camaro, which ends up being around $30k -- not too much more. I do
You figured out how to make enough to commit yourself to $35k but come to a forum for advice to buy a car you haven't checked out yourself? Really??? Come on man, grow a pair!
1960apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #9
Vidgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960apache View Post
You figured out how to make enough to commit yourself to $35k but come to a forum for advice to buy a car you haven't checked out yourself? Really??? Come on man, grow a pair!
How do I know which cars I want to check out? Researching is part of the fun. Don't take that away from me!

Anyway, let me know where I can test drive the 4cyl, and I'll be there. ;-)

Seriously, though, I almost went to check them out last weekend but 1) it takes time that was better spent on other errands and 2) I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet, so I'm not in a big hurry. I'm getting a list of things I want to check out.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #10
moonrider

Drives: 2016 2SS
If you want a 4 cylinder turbo and you're worried about the rear seats, buy a Subaru STI.
moonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #11
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrider View Post
If you want a 4 cylinder turbo and you're worried about the rear seats, buy a Subaru STI.
Or a WRX for $26,000, STI costs almost as much as a stripped 1SS.
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote