Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Question Building a FOAM CANNON Kit from Scratch

I'm starting from scratch and looking for your suggestions on what to purchase for effective foam cannon washing & drying. I don't have a foam cannon or even a pressure washer, so this will be a ground up set of purchases.

Some questions to get us started and any additional tips from the gurus here are much appreciated:

- Is there a consensus on the best foam cannon?

- How about a recommended pressure washer? I'm thinking electric for ease, but am open to gas powered if that is generally preferred. Any particular specs necessary?

- What foam are most people using?

- How does everyone feel about touchless drying (i.e. no microfiber towels) and instead air drying? What are you using to dry the vehicle after foam & rinse?

Thanks!!
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Move'n Up

Drives: 17 Z06/Z07, 17 2SS Fifty, Ram 2500
Take a look at this attachment. Use this foam cannon by MTM
MTM HYDRO PF22 FOAM CANNON
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pressure Washer Upgrade Parts.pdf (464.1 KB, 129 views)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
Jersey devil

Drives: '17 Z06
I just recently picked up a setup your looking for.

For the canon I went with the Trinova and am very happy with it. Though its priced higher than other ones in the market I'm very impressed with the quality of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the washer, I bought the Ryobi 1600 psi electric one. The reason I bought that one was for the small size which comes in handy for storage. It works well with the above canon, soaps up nicely using Chemical guys Honeydew snow foam.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-600-PSI...gateway&sr=8-3

One thing I did was put a quick connect coupler on the pressure washer as well as the garden hose. This makes connecting/ disconnecting quick and easy.
Jersey devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move'n Up View Post
Take a look at this attachment. Use this foam cannon by MTM
MTM HYDRO PF22 FOAM CANNON
Very good, thank you! Did you put this PDF together purely for optimizing the foam cannon setup? Would love a little more context on the PDF before I go ahead and purchase all
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 05-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey devil View Post
I just recently picked up a setup your looking for.

For the canon I went with the Trinova and am very happy with it. Though its priced higher than other ones in the market I'm very impressed with the quality of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the washer, I bought the Ryobi 1600 psi electric one. The reason I bought that one was for the small size which comes in handy for storage. It works well with the above canon, soaps up nicely using Chemical guys Honeydew snow foam.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-600-PSI...gateway&sr=8-3

One thing I did was put a quick connect coupler on the pressure washer as well as the garden hose. This makes connecting/ disconnecting quick and easy.
Great and thanks. I haven't seen the Trinova before. However, I have been eyeing that pressure washer due to the size. Glad to hear it's enough to get the job done well. Appreciate the tip on quick connect too! Based on the previous post, it looks like there are some other goodies worth getting too.

YouTube
Old 05-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
Move'n Up

Drives: 17 Z06/Z07, 17 2SS Fifty, Ram 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Very good, thank you! Did you put this PDF together purely for optimizing the foam cannon setup? Would love a little more context on the PDF before I go ahead and purchase all
I can't take credit for creating the pdf, I found that info HERE

It's a great setup and I use the updated version of the Ryobi 1,600 psi
Old 05-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move'n Up View Post
I can't take credit for creating the pdf, I found that info HERE

It's a great setup and I use the updated version of the Ryobi 1,600 psi
Perfect. Thanks for the link. That's the context I was looking for!

YouTube
Old 05-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #8
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I have half a dozen foam cannons- from cheap amazon to the expensive MTM.

The $100 MTM clogs easier than any other foam cannon I have. I have taken it apart and soaked it in CLR more times than I care to remember.

My $15 Amazon foam cannons have never clogged.

The key to shaving cream style foam is a gas pressure washer and a super foaming soap like Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam with hot water in the bottle.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
My $16 Amazon special works just fine.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #10
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam is the best!
Old 05-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #11
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
I have half a dozen foam cannons- from cheap amazon to the expensive MTM.

The $100 MTM clogs easier than any other foam cannon I have. I have taken it apart and soaked it in CLR more times than I care to remember.

My $15 Amazon foam cannons have never clogged.

The key to shaving cream style foam is a gas pressure washer and a super foaming soap like Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam with hot water in the bottle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
My $16 Amazon special works just fine.
Any particular $15-$16 Amazon foam cannons you have that work well? There are a bunch when I search "foam cannon", so I'd like to grab whichever one(s) you own.

YouTube
Old 05-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #12
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Any particular $15-$16 Amazon foam cannons you have that work well? There are a bunch when I search "foam cannon", so I'd like to grab whichever one(s) you own.
Pretty sure they are all made in the same place with a different label. Also get a 1.1mm orifice jet as well. The level of foam it produces is night and day difference.

Foam canon is a foam canon, not too much in those things.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Pretty sure all the ones that look like this are identical, but this is the one I bought 22 months ago:

MATCC Adjustable Foam Cannon 1 Liter Bottle Snow Foam Lance With 1/4" Quick Connector Foam Blaster for Pressure Washer Gun https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CE78VO8..._px20CbXR69AE8

Here’s a vid I made of this in action with my 3000psi gas PW. Top black knob all the way closed and 5:1 water:Adams shampoo in the bottle.
https://youtu.be/rc0piExitec
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #14
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Using walmart special, it works just fine unless you think other names do something special

Tried garden hose version too, and that was OK too.

Pressure washer powered version is GREAT way to waste soap.. let me tell you. cup or two of soap goes in NO TIME!

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote