Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 05-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #29
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
GM has a patent for a by-wire clutch, if I remember right (others bring it up here).

I strongly favor the driving engagement side of the argument. That said, most of us aren't 3 pedal masters. The rev-matching, no-lift shift features can be helpful.

I'm hoping the GM engineers cook up manuals converged with the mildest of hybrid tech
to make a streetable dog box manual. Something we'd otherwise never see in large scale production.

That would have Z28 written all over it for a Camaro.

Last edited by genxer; 05-04-2019 at 07:01 PM.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #30
TC2018SS1LE

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
GM has a patent for a by-wire clutch, if I remember right (others bring it up here).

I strongly favor the driving engagement side of the argument. That said, most of us aren't 3 pedal masters. The rev-matching, no-lift shift features can be helpful.

I'm hoping the GM engineers cook up manuals converged with the mildest of hybrid tech
to make a streetable dog box manual. Something we'd otherwise never see in large scale production.

That would have Z28 written all over it for a Camaro.
No point in driving manual if your car is going to do everything for you
TC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #31
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
It's good that rev'match and no-lift, don't have to be used. This could be the same, likely post-warranty.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #32
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
It's good that rev'match and no-lift, don't have to be used. This could be the same, likely post-warranty.
I wish I could deactivate hill assist. I HATE it!
Old 05-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #33
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Do you define old school muscle cars as the future? Because he was talking about the future, not the past.
Yes, because the day GM stops making V8s with manual transmissions is the day I stop looking at new GM cars. I’d rather buy a used V8 manual car than a new strung out turbo 4 hybrid no matter how good it performs.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #34
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Yes, because the day GM stops making V8s with manual transmissions is the day I stop looking at new GM cars. I’d rather buy a used V8 manual car than a new strung out turbo 4 hybrid no matter how good it performs.
True story
Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #35
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Wuao This threat is very Intenso... BTW, some you has at least listened or saw the last C8 corvette tease video? The car that was recorded sounds Manual to Me
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #36
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
Wuao This threat is very Intenso... BTW, some you has at least listened or saw the last C8 corvette tease video? The car that was recorded sounds Manual to Me
I heard about that from other people but didn't catch that when I listened to it because of how much autos sound like manuals now a days.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #37
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2018SS1LE View Post
I wish I could deactivate hill assist. I HATE it!
You can.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300649
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:28 AM   #38
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Seems suspicious that the sensor is only there for hill assist and that they would bother having a whole different piece on the auto. I'll do some more research.
But thank you very much for the info.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #39
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
The Corvette video was dubbed sound from an old C1 that Duntov drove...

That said - arguing that autos and DCTs are faster, so manuals should die is far and above the dumbest argument in support of Autos or DCTs only.

Think about it, if that's your basis for manuals to die...then why, for over 50 years, have autos still been an option in Corvette's and Camaro's - they were slower at every point in history until now...and they are barely faster than a current manual when a Pro drives both (see Randy P's lap times with the same car in Manual and Auto).

I will argue for the option to have a manual, in the same way you can argue the autos should have been an option in the past and should continue to be. More options are better for enthusiasts, not less. If you think otherwise, you are a fanboy and not an enthusiast.

Last, since lap times, and shift speeds are being discussed, whom here holds any production car lap records...at any track? I sure don't, I have to pay to participate in drag racing, Auto-X, and road course racing. I also have to pay for my performance cars. For me to get the most value for my dollar, I want the most engaging driving experience I can get, which included manually manipulating a transmission - for me. I am not saying you shouldn't have the option to have an Auto or DCT, but those are worthless in my performance per dollar equation.

Conclusion - we should be advocate for options, not the other way around. But to slander manuals over a slight edge in performance for the first time ever, is the weakest argument I've ever seen to support their demise.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #40
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
The Corvette video was dubbed sound from an old C1 that Duntov drove...

That said - arguing that autos and DCTs are faster, so manuals should die is far and above the dumbest argument in support of Autos or DCTs only.

Think about it, if that's your basis for manuals to die...then why, for over 50 years, have autos still been an option in Corvette's and Camaro's - they were slower at every point in history until now...and they are barely faster than a current manual when a Pro drives both (see Randy P's lap times with the same car in Manual and Auto).

I will argue for the option to have a manual, in the same way you can argue the autos should have been an option in the past and should continue to be. More options are better for enthusiasts, not less. If you think otherwise, you are a fanboy and not an enthusiast.

Last, since lap times, and shift speeds are being discussed, whom here holds any production car lap records...at any track? I sure don't, I have to pay to participate in drag racing, Auto-X, and road course racing. I also have to pay for my performance cars. For me to get the most value for my dollar, I want the most engaging driving experience I can get, which included manually manipulating a transmission - for me. I am not saying you shouldn't have the option to have an Auto or DCT, but those are worthless in my performance per dollar equation.

Conclusion - we should be advocate for options, not the other way around. But to slander manuals over a slight edge in performance for the first time ever, is the weakest argument I've ever seen to support their demise.
I do not advocate for some options because of the snow ball effect.
No automatic use to be offered in many cars and now it is no manual... Snow ball.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #41
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
No automatic use to be offered in many cars and now it is no manual... Snow ball.
Autos have been available in Corvettes and Camaros as long as they have been built...spring melt
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #42
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Autos have been available in Corvettes and Camaros as long as they have been built...spring melt
Corvette was initially available only with an automatic (2 speed Powergilde I think). Manuals came later.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote