Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 04-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #15
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Here are my tools to prevent water spots.

1. Simple Chuck DI System

2. Gyeon Q2M Silk Drying Towel

3. Metrovac Master Blaster

4. Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash

I purchased the Simple Chuck last year. Caught it on an Autogeek 25% off and free shipping sale. It has been a godsend with a black car. I use it with my power washer for the final rinse. After the rinse off, I attach just the garden hose to the Simple Chuck and use it to sheet off as much water as possible. I follow this by gently dragging the Gyeon silk drying towel over the roof, hood, trunk lid, and spoiler. My final step is to blow the remaining water off my car with the Master Blaster.

With this process, I can wash my car in the middle of a sunny afternoon and have almost no water spots. And if I do catch a few spots, I hit them with a little Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash mixed as a detail spray. (3 oz to a gallon of distilled H20).

Yes, the tools are not cheap but they have more than justified their cost by making water spots on my black car a thing of the past.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #16
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I don't know if my water would be considered "very" hard or just "regular" but either way, I wash in the evenings if possible with a ph neutral soap. I keep the paint dry as long as I can meaning wash the wheels, tires, and exhaust tips first. Then prepare the buckets before rinsing the car and quickly getting soap on the surface and washing. The soap is safe on the surface if it dries, the tap water isn't. Once thoroughly washed, simply rinse and immediately pull it into the garage. Then I use the "Master Blaster" listed above to remove a solid 80% of the water I'd say. Finish up with a waffle weave towel from TRC and a spritz of waterless wash. Never had a single issue with water spots this way. I don't pull out the power washer, foam cannon/gun, etc. just seems so unnecessary when the system I use works so well. Having a super hydrophobic layer like a coating or hybrid coating/sealant like Gyeon Can-Coat or Hydro2 really helps the drying process by sheeting with a garden hose + blowing with the master blaster (or similar).

There's a million ways to drive yourself crazy with detailing. If not a billion. The sooner you realize that a car is a car, it's going to have the occasional ding, swirl, scuff, and dirty spot, the easier your life is and the better you sleep at night.....so when you get there let me know how you did it, lol!
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #17
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyRocketz View Post
Big Boi Blower heated air is nice, and it pushes air like crazy.
Heated is nice evaporating the water vs. a leaf blower which is essentially just moving the water.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #18
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Isn't one of the big selling points of getting a ceramic coating is because nothing is supposed to stick to it?

It seems like as more and more time goes on, ceramic coating was a huge scam.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:18 PM   #19
Twinzero

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 A10 HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Isn't one of the big selling points of getting a ceramic coating is because nothing is supposed to stick to it?

It seems like as more and more time goes on, ceramic coating was a huge scam.
My understanding is that it simply makes the car much easier to clean (just spray it down and blow dry) and acts like a “permanent” wax, as far as protection and getting that beautiful glossy shine. So far my my short experience with it has met that expectation up.

I have 2 beasts in the garage and having to use the 2 bucket wash technique on both of them along with applying wax was getting old. That’s 4+ hours of my day every few weeks. This should drastically reduce that time, which to me makes it worth the cost.
Twinzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #20
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
Heated is nice evaporating the water vs. a leaf blower which is essentially just moving the water.
With a Blower your Moving the water off the car due to the Ceramic Coating/sealant...
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:48 PM   #21
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Get yourself a whole house water softener and have one hose outlet dedicated for washing your cars. Get a certified water treatment company to do this,you won't regret it.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #22
esm

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wierd Harold View Post
Get yourself a whole house water softener and have one hose outlet dedicated for washing your cars. Get a certified water treatment company to do this,you won't regret it.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I have a Pelican whole house softener and filter along with a UV filter, my cars get washed with bottled water! I also did the CQuartz UK ceramic coating right after I bought the car and I think it makes a big difference in cleaning the car and minimizing water spots and scratches/swill marks.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #23
Fatty1707

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
If you have hard water, it’s ruining all your plumbing, valves and fixtures as we speak. It destroys everything. Like others said, you need a whole house water softener or RO system. If that’s not possible, spray the car down with Adam’s detail spray and dry straight away with MF towel or blow and wipe dry. Detail spray will neutralize hard water depending on hardness. Chemical composition of hard water varies across the country. Have it tested and talk to your local water company ASAP!
Fatty1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #24
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Perhaps the single biggest drawback to ceramic coatings is water spotting. I wrote up a bit about it in this thread:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549026

Sealants and hydrophibic coatings plus a careful wash/dry regimen will help, but oxides like to stick to oxides so sooner or later you’ll get them.

I recently picked up this 80v Kobalt blower on sale recently for $209 after my gas blower gave up the ghost. It’s perfect for a nice long blow dry between a pooling rinse and waffle weave + diluted-Reload-elixir MF dry.

https://www.amazon.com/80-Volt-Heavy.../dp/B01JH35P4Q
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #25
Exorcised

Drives: 2019 black ZL1 1LE
I wash in the evening with no direct sun and use Ego blower (168mph model). Grab wife and only takes a seconds to dry the car. Never spots and blowers work great to remove water in mirrors, door handles, lights, etc.
Exorcised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:08 AM   #26
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
This is how you dry a car, w/8 HP of air

https://www.metrovacworld.com/produc...aster/overview

Price can be found for much less online. I own one and would never consider anything else. The air gets warm, it is filtered, and the pressure out of the hose is amazing.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:29 AM   #27
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
I use this DI system..
https://dirinse.com/product/d-i-rinse-pro-50-unit/
and this blower..
https://www.amazon.com/Worx-Turbine-...gateway&sr=8-4

I am very happy with both products.
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #28
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Professional DI systems are MUCH cheaper in the long run than simple chuck and CR spotless.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote