Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
RI 50

Drives: Camaro SS 50 rag top
Matte Hood Center Stripe

New guy here with 50th rag top. Yup polished the matte stripe with Adams buttery wax ... looks like crap tried a few things, no luck still streaky.
How can I get it clean and even matte. I plan on putting Adams VRT after.
Thanks...
RI 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Try a detailer spray. If that doesn't work, try a light IPA wipedown, then a detailer.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI 50 View Post
New guy here with 50th rag top. Yup polished the matte stripe with Adams buttery wax ... looks like crap tried a few things, no luck still streaky.
How can I get it clean and even matte. I plan on putting Adams VRT after.
Thanks...
I would clean it with our Coating Prep then follow up with our Ceramic Spray.
Actually you can do your whole car with these steps.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/adams...face-prep.html

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/adams...y-coating.html
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
You likely polished some sections of the matte decal and I'm not entirely sure you can get it back 100% to matte. Ask me how I know. I ended up removing the center matte decal on mine and was going to pay to have the dealer replace it but actually liked the look without it, not to mention being free of the special attention needed for a Matte decal. I can just buff and polish without any worries or dealing with water spots, etc.

Also imho the decal was too close to the nightfall gray and didn't really add much.

Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
You likely polished some sections of the matte decal and I'm not entirely sure you can get it back 100% to matte. Ask me how I know. I ended up removing the center matte decal on mine and was going to pay to have the dealer replace it but actually liked the look without it, not to mention being free of the special attention needed for a Matte decal. I can just buff and polish without any worries or dealing with water spots, etc.

Also imho the decal was too close to the nightfall gray and didn't really add much.
He said he used buttery wax, not a polish. Polymers can do strange things to vynil, they change the appearance like they do paint, you just need to remove them. And most surface prep products either are or contain an IPA. I had the same thing happen on my car, got a sealant on the decklid blackout and it left ugly streaks . Some diluted IPA and then a wipe with a detailer made it look great again.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #6
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
He said he used buttery wax, not a polish. Polymers can do strange things to vynil, they change the appearance like they do paint, you just need to remove them. And most surface prep products either are or contain an IPA. I had the same thing happen on my car, got a sealant on the decklid blackout and it left ugly streaks . Some diluted IPA and then a wipe with a detailer made it look great again.

Ahh ok makes sense. I guess though if you're using any product and don't keep the pad loaded with the right amount and it gets too hot it can possibly do some harm to the matte (assuming a buffer was used) but yeah maybe he can salvage it. Definitely do everything possible to save it for sure. Mine was a lost cause but in the end I didn't lose any sleep over it.

Last edited by Dysan911; 05-16-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
RI 50

Drives: Camaro SS 50 rag top
Thanks for the tips guys, it looks like I will try the IPA to strip it then use the Adams VRT based on the Adams video. I'm not ready to head down the road of ceramic and I do like the Adams Buttery wax.
If all else fails I agree with Dysan 911 just take the stripe off the hood. Only thing is on the rag top the stripe goes from the back seat when the tops down I will probably leave that. Bought the car with 3k on it and the hood stripe never seemed to be perfect.
Keep you posted and thanks again
RI 50 is offline   Reply With Quote